Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 PM

359 posts, read 1,100,091 times

Advertisements

I went to the ss office today to apply for my retirement,lots of young people???then they tell me to make an appointment............for july 5th.looking at the offices hours 9-3mon,tue,thu,fri. wed 9-12 I would like to work 27 hours a week to .thats why ss wont be around in 10 years???? im sorry im just venting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Is it possible that those clerks might really be working a full 40 hour week? There is a lot of paper work involved in processing SS claims.

Maybe those 27 hours as posted, are only for the people coming to apply for SS benefits.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:31 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
That's a little less than 3 wks. Sorry but that doesn't seem that long a wait to me.

Also, what Padgett said. and all those messages people leave on their automated system....

Old 06-14-2013, 06:39 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
My wife was told to apply three months in advance and did it painlessly on line.

I just checked online and my local office has the same hours which as previously noted gives them time to process applications.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
SSA announced several weeks ago that the field offices would have shorter hours for the public to go into the offices. There are a lot more people applying for benefits online now, and there is less reason to actually visit an office.

Also, having worked for SSA for a few years, I can say that your perception that they only work part time is incorrect. Retirement is only one of the benefits that people apply for, and there is a lot of background work that has to be done for claims. When I had an appointment every hour, I had very little time to work on that other work. It takes about 45 minutes to process a retirement claim appointment, unless there are extra dependents, but possibly several hours for a disability claim.

One of the biggest, blood-sucking headaches for an SSA employee is processing disability claims. It takes a huge amount of time and effort, and many of the claims are, shall we say.... spurious? Had an interview with a person who filed due to blindness, but forgot his cane and drove himself away... a young person who said his disability was that he couldn't keep a job - he was 45 minutes late for his appointment. duh. As people age, they are more likely to get sick or injured, and file for disability, which increases workload exponentially.

I admire those who make a career at SSA. It takes a dedication, and is a thankless task. Nobody only works 40 hours a week there, much less only the "27 hours" that the office is open to the public. When you said lots of young people, did you mean the staff or the clients? The office I worked in had an average age of staff in their 50's.

Oh - you may have been told that it was too soon to apply for your retirement benefit and that is why you have to wait until July. You can only file within 3 months of your birth month. If you are in a hurry, SSA has a pretty good website where you can fill out the retirement paperwork online, and not have to wait for an appointment.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:00 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,814 times
If all you are going to do is apply, do it online. My wife did.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I apply 3 months before I saw I would get benefits as they advise. made a p appointment ;went in and was done in short order.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:24 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,374,319 times
Ditto. Made appointment in late April for early June. They were prompt, efficient, helpful, and informative. Done in 35 minutes. First check comes in early July.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
I went to the ss office today to apply for my retirement,lots of young people???then they tell me to make an appointment............for july 5th.looking at the offices hours 9-3mon,tue,thu,fri. wed 9-12 I would like to work 27 hours a week to .thats why ss wont be around in 10 years???? im sorry im just venting.
Take heart, they are working the rest of the work week when they are not interviewing clients. Just have whatever documents you need in order and stop fretting about "lots of young people???"...other people's work schedule and whether SS will be around in ten years.

Not the right foot to start off on in retirement. And what the hell, you may not be around in ten years and what will all this matter?

Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
In all fairness, their web site wouldn't load on my computer. The main page would but that was all. I applied in person and had no problems.

Actually found my caseworker (is that what they're called?) very informative. She told me different options and left the decision to me. Very professional and, although I knew differently, made me feel like I was the only one she had to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement