Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:34 PM

437 posts, read 649,690 times

Advertisements

BACK ON TRACK:

*sorry for derailing the thread, OP*

We are getting up there in age, and *some" of us have resources that are available to us, whether by disability or AGE AND DISABILITY. And those resources have to be utilized. I was hoping this thread would shed some light for those of us who haven't FOUND that yet.... from those who HAD.

States that look after their elderly is super important to a lot of us, now couple that with states and CITIES that are genuinely doing their part in making sure the disabled/elderly are being cared for, in a compassionate and financial manner.

Ugh.... this is why I never wanted to live past 70..... and here I am, at a YOUNG 51... disabled, but fit and wanting to live... and the odds are against "me".

We have to be our own best advocate. NO ONE ELSE IS GOING TO LOOK AFTER US... and so if we don't look after each other and our own selves, we will find ourselves in some nasty 'nursing home', sitting in a chair, in our own urine. Sounds gross, huh? Visit a 'nursing home' and you'll see it in one in four people there. Look in their eyes, and see the vacant look of a Spirit that has left its body.

This thread has a chance to offer hope. My sincere hope is that is continues on with that.... HOPE... and positive information as well as the negative.... so we're "armed"! xoxoxO!!

bullie~
*whew..... some meds can be very good... lol*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
We have to be our own best advocate. NO ONE ELSE IS GOING TO LOOK AFTER US... and so if we don't look after each other and our own selves, we will find ourselves in some nasty 'nursing home', sitting in a chair, in our own urine. Sounds gross, huh? Visit a 'nursing home' and you'll see it in one in four people there. Look in their eyes, and see the vacant look of a Spirit that has left its body.

This thread has a chance to offer hope. My sincere hope is that is continues on with that.... HOPE... and positive information as well as the negative.... so we're "armed"! xoxoxO!!

bullie~
The most important consideration for the disabled is safety. Better skip Chicago and the other big cities with large underclasses; live in rural America. Look at the flash mobs in Chicago and be aware that their relatives are the caretakers in nursing homes where no drug testing is required. They hate your guts; they'll laugh when they see you sitting in your own urine. Chicago paramedics are said to routinely rob their patients. You're better off in North Dakota where mores and morals are different.

The diabled will be the targets. Just as a wolf pack seeks out the weak so will the city criminals.

A nursing home owner told me that they wouldn't be able to find employees if they had to test for drugs. He also told me that 1800 calories per day is adequate for anyone. He won't be living in a nursing home.

Look at what lives in subsidized housing in the cities. Would you be safe in one of those buildings?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Happy, are you disabled? I live in rural America and it really does not work for disabled people. Home health services are almost non-existent, there is no public transportation, and taxis, if they even come, are very expensive. Finding competent, trustworthy people to do anything, like cut weeds, is difficult. Service providers, like if the water heater breaks, charge $75 travel time up front, etc. etc. etc.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I only know my own state but in the suburbs it's pretty good for anyone who is disabled and we do have mandated health insurance. If someone can't afford insurance, it's free.

I keep thinking of my cousin who is my age and has MS. Luckily her house is a ranch and luckily she has a man friend who loves her and stops by to help her out. Luckily there are lots of services. She has groceries delivered and she pays people to come in and help. There are free rides to the doctors. She has all the Boston hospitals close at hand. Yet she is miserable being shut off from the rest of the world, spending most of her time alone in her home.

Living in an RV--do you mean driving around in one or staying in one that remains in one place? Not many towns around here allow mobile homes unless they are in a park--but there are towns that are the exception. I always thought that would be a good cheap deal. Mobile homes are ideal for elderly and disabled--all on one floor, compact, washer and dryer, easy to keep clean, not much maintenance. I wish we had more of them in parks that had more affordable fees or on their own small plots of land.

If you get SSI or SSDI you have Medicaid so you will be all set with health insurance but you need to make sure that the place you live has services like free rides and people to come in and help, grocery delivery.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Happy, are you disabled? I live in rural America and it really does not work for disabled people. Home health services are almost non-existent, there is no public transportation, and taxis, if they even come, are very expensive. Finding competent, trustworthy people to do anything, like cut weeds, is difficult. Service providers, like if the water heater breaks, charge $75 travel time up front, etc. etc. etc.
No, I'm not disabled but I know that it could happen. I've paid plumbers and others extra to come out. So what? I find people I can trust. I have a maid and one part-time clerical worker. Neither charges me extra for my location and they're both willing to run an errand or two on the way. My neighbors (not close) and I often do favors for each other and frequently get together for lunch, etc. I live in an educated and prosperous area; I chose it purposely. It would be an aggravation if I couldn't drive either temporarily or permanently; but I'd deal with it easily enough.

Thre's no underclass here and should one of them somehow find his way here he'll not likely leave alive. My dogs have excellent hearing and I shoot.

I also cut my own weeds.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The most important consideration for the disabled is safety. Better skip Chicago and the other big cities with large underclasses; live in rural America. Look at the flash mobs in Chicago and be aware that their relatives are the caretakers in nursing homes where no drug testing is required. They hate your guts; they'll laugh when they see you sitting in your own urine. Chicago paramedics are said to routinely rob their patients. You're better off in North Dakota where mores and morals are different.

The diabled will be the targets. Just as a wolf pack seeks out the weak so will the city criminals.

A nursing home owner told me that they wouldn't be able to find employees if they had to test for drugs. He also told me that 1800 calories per day is adequate for anyone. He won't be living in a nursing home.

Look at what lives in subsidized housing in the cities. Would you be safe in one of those buildings?
Actually, Chicago takes incredible care of their elderly, and you have to LOOK for it, fight for it and then get it. THAT is the b.s. that IS Chicago.

I'd rather, as you stated, find an area that is more focused. An area who is not so ingrained on screwing people over, and taking every drop of blood they have. *read: Chicago*

bullie~

Old 08-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Living in an RV--do you mean driving around in one or staying in one that remains in one place? Not many towns around here allow mobile homes unless they are in a park--but there are towns that are the exception. I always thought that would be a good cheap deal. Mobile homes are ideal for elderly and disabled--all on one floor, compact, washer and dryer, easy to keep clean, not much maintenance. I wish we had more of them in parks that had more affordable fees or on their own small plots of land.

If you get SSI or SSDI you have Medicaid so you will be all set with health insurance but you need to make sure that the place you live has services like free rides and people to come in and help, grocery delivery.
As stated, depending on how disabled a person is, and if they're alone, or if they're able to travel, stop for a long while, travel, stop for a long while... it's doable

And it depends on the disability.

For some, finding a homestead is not hard, and quite affordable. Easy maintenance, and if you're in the right place, and if you do your homework to find out where to go, and where to avoid, it could be you're among the most amazing friends, who would do anything to help you out.

Meh.... I dunno. I'm going on what I read and what people who do it, have told me. I know nothing.

As open as I am to throwing things out there, I'm just as open to hearing what ya'll have to say.

bullie~

Old 08-04-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No, I'm not disabled but I know that it could happen. I've paid plumbers and others extra to come out. So what? I find people I can trust. I have a maid and one part-time clerical worker. Neither charges me extra for my location and they're both willing to run an errand or two on the way. My neighbors (not close) and I often do favors for each other and frequently get together for lunch, etc. I live in an educated and prosperous area; I chose it purposely. It would be an aggravation if I couldn't drive either temporarily or permanently; but I'd deal with it easily enough.

Thre's no underclass here and should one of them somehow find his way here he'll not likely leave alive. My dogs have excellent hearing and I shoot.

I also cut my own weeds.
"So what?" And you "cut your own weeds"? Disabled people CARE. Disabled people may not be able to cut their own weeds. Disabled people may not be able to afford a maid or a plumber NOR know anyone to run errands for them. I'm not being combative, I'm telling you like it is for *most* who are retiring and disabled.

Opinions are appreciated. This thread is about those who are having to retire, and are disabled. Where do we go, what do we do, who can we depend on, is there a connection out there for us.....

It's not about someone who has the availability to hire a part time clerical worker. *no offense*

"I live in an educated and prosperous area; I chose it purposely. It would be an aggravation if I couldn't drive either temporarily or permanently; but I'd deal with it easily enough."

Huh. Ummm... this thread is about disabled people, retiring, right? Did I click on the wrong thread, mistakenly, or maybe did the person, quoted above, do that?

I'm gonna type what most disabled people, who are reading this, are thinking.... Are you FOOKING KIDDING ME?!?

'mkay....... Unless you have a disability that hinders you, in ways you CANNOT COMPREHEND, *obviously*, please refrain from commenting on a thread dealing with something you CANNOT COMPREHEND.

*and bullie walks away before she becomes a bully, not a bullie*

Hmmm.......mama said there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this, mah mama said.....

Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
"So what?" And you "cut your own weeds"? Disabled people CARE. Disabled people may not be able to cut their own weeds. Disabled people may not be able to afford a maid or a plumber NOR know anyone to run errands for them. I'm not being combative, I'm telling you like it is for *most* who are retiring and disabled.

Opinions are appreciated. This thread is about those who are having to retire, and are disabled. Where do we go, what do we do, who can we depend on, is there a connection out there for us.....

It's not about someone who has the availability to hire a part time clerical worker. *no offense*

"I live in an educated and prosperous area; I chose it purposely. It would be an aggravation if I couldn't drive either temporarily or permanently; but I'd deal with it easily enough."

Huh. Ummm... this thread is about disabled people, retiring, right? Did I click on the wrong thread, mistakenly, or maybe did the person, quoted above, do that?

I'm gonna type what most disabled people, who are reading this, are thinking.... Are you FOOKING KIDDING ME?!?

'mkay....... Unless you have a disability that hinders you, in ways you CANNOT COMPREHEND, *obviously*, please refrain from commenting on a thread dealing with something you CANNOT COMPREHEND.

*and bullie walks away before she becomes a bully, not a bullie*

Hmmm.......mama said there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this, mah mama said.....
For once I'm trying to be helpful and...

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
This is a subject close to me as well. I was all set to move forward with plans to relocate to a city that would be more conducive to my needs as a partially disabled person last spring when fate decided otherwise. Now I am starting again. But it is not easy. There are finances to be considered and whether or not to move the furniture and how to move the cat safely and how I will be able to withstand the travel and a whole bunch of other things.

I have to do it before I reach a point where I absolutely can't. It will take a good chunk of my very limited savings but I am hoping in the long run it will be worth it.

35 years ago I fearlessly relocated 2000 miles away from the place where I was born. No big deal. Today it is a very big deal. And a very scary deal. But I have to do it because if I don't the big bad monster within that has already deprived me of so much wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement