Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 05:31 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
True. I bet many were forced to retire because advertising was always one of those young thinking industries like TV writing where forty is considered as over the hill. So you have twenty and thirty somethings trying to conjure up the interests of a market consisting of those fifty years older their senior. They're not doing a very good job of it.

This is one of the best threads I have seen in a long time. Lots of great comments.
I think you hit on something. They weeded us out in our 40's/50's and now they need us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think you hit on something. They weeded us out in our 40's/50's and now they need us.
Makes me think of the show "Mad Men" where the young pushed out the old and now those young have become the old and they are doing the pushing. Their ideas are no longer considered "fresh" by their younger co-workers and they don't think anyone wants to see old people using the same products as they use. But I bet lots of young'uns see Lee and Morty and think "Hey, I like that mop!"

Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You make invalid assumptions and parse posts to fit your preconceived notions. In that respect you are an angry young man and will most likely not age gracefully as many of us have been able to do. By the way, that makes our retirements ever so much more pleasant than some have been able to achieve.

Did you even bother to read the post about Greek retirement I put at the beginning of this thread? If not, you should If so, you completely missed or misinterpreted the main point. Either way I have nothing more to say to you. Your mind is clearly and stubbornly made up and like all too many younger people in this day-and-age, you of course know best!
You make invalid assumptions about my post to fit your preconceived notions. If you want to argue something, be specific. I get that your hefty retirement budget allows you to ignore misery of aging of the mere mortal peons in America who can't even entertain a dream of stylish epicurean retirement. Honestly, looking at the walking wrecks around me I don't think they will draw SS for too long, which would leave more $ for the gracefully aged (upper) middle class variety of geezers to engage in feel-good oldies stuff until Alzheimer etc. kicks in.

There is so much one can achieve by adjusting his attitude and perceptions using self-help, feel good article and/or old fashioned mood enhancers. It's just too bad that perception is not reality, objective reality is not modifiable with Prozac, it's just is, and objective reality of aging in America scares the hell out of me.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 PM

40 posts, read 58,384 times
There's a Jungian analyst who writes well on the topic of aging and related issues. If you are afraid, suggest you pick up the works of James Hollis.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default "Objective reality" ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You make invalid assumptions about my post to fit your preconceived notions. If you want to argue something, be specific. I get that your hefty retirement budget allows you to ignore misery of aging of the mere mortal peons in America who can't even entertain a dream of stylish epicurean retirement. Honestly, looking at the walking wrecks around me I don't think they will draw SS for too long, which would leave more $ for the gracefully aged (upper) middle class variety of geezers to engage in feel-good oldies stuff until Alzheimer etc. kicks in.

There is so much one can achieve by adjusting his attitude and perceptions using self-help, feel good article and/or old fashioned mood enhancers. It's just too bad that perception is not reality, objective reality is not modifiable with Prozac, it's just is, and objective reality of aging in America scares the hell out of me.
You have chosen to focus on a certain subset of people who are having trouble or who are going to have trouble in retirement, and there is nothing wrong with that per se. However to generalize your narrowly focused look onto the retirement picture in this country as a whole and to call it "objective reality" is pretty ludicrous.

And then even worse, you suggest that anyone who disagrees with your version of "objective reality" is doing so with the aid of mood enhancing drugs such as Prozac which is totally outrageous.

What you wrote in the post above is not a reasoned argument, but a polemic replete with emotionally over-wrought language.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
At work, the "kids" (youthful) I work with come in and look at my "retirement countdown clock" and tell me how much they envy me!!! LOL I tell them there is NOTHING they could offer me to be "their age" again, raising a houseful of kids and so busy I would not even have time to read a book!!! LOL I would NOT trade places with someone younger for all the tea in China. I CELEBRATE my age and our experiences!!!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
At work, the "kids" (youthful) I work with come in and look at my "retirement countdown clock" and tell me how much they envy me!!! LOL I tell them there is NOTHING they could offer me to be "their age" again, raising a houseful of kids and so busy I would not even have time to read a book!!! LOL I would NOT trade places with someone younger for all the tea in China. I CELEBRATE my age and our experiences!!!
Hear, hear! I too had a countdown clock and coworkers would come into my office almost daily to see how much time was left. When I did retire I gave it to the person I figured was next in line.

Like you, I wouldn't want to turn back the clock. Why would I? I'm thoroughly enjoying a life of leisure buoyed by my "hefty retirement budget" as one angry person described it. Never mind it's only 55% of what I earned while working but it's adequate. It permits me to be comfortable and I have the time to mentor the young grandson of a friend of ours. She's raising him and he has never had a male role model in his life. It's nice to be able to step into those shoes and it's that sort of thing that makes retirement a true joy.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

Do not look down upon someone unless you reaching to pull them up -- your post reminded me that we should not look down on others who are suffering from politically caused unemploymet or health issues. I have lived long enough to know that the changing tides of good fortune often flow downward in retirement, especially in this economy. Marketers do not have seniors best interest at heart but only look at the size of your wallet. Size matters, right?

Old 09-18-2013, 02:54 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hear, hear! I too had a countdown clock and coworkers would come into my office almost daily to see how much time was left. When I did retire I gave it to the person I figured was next in line.

Like you, I wouldn't want to turn back the clock. Why would I? I'm thoroughly enjoying a life of leisure buoyed by my "hefty retirement budget" as one angry person described it. Never mind it's only 55% of what I earned while working but it's adequate. It permits me to be comfortable and I have the time to mentor the young grandson of a friend of ours. She's raising him and he has never had a male role model in his life. It's nice to be able to step into those shoes and it's that sort of thing that makes retirement a true joy.
You will find that when you look back on all that you have accomplished, the mentoring of that young man and the impact you will have on his life and his children's lives in years to come will be near the TOP of all you have achieved that warms your soul! Tried to rep ya, but gotta spread the stuff some more!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:09 PM

10 posts, read 13,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
The t.v. and print commercials today have nothing in common with older Americans so they don't entice me to buy anything, but, they do provide an insight into what the corporation/organization priorities are. If I can't relate to their sales pitch, it goes in the garbage!
I agree 100%. I live in Southern California, and life is pretty much geared towards youth and beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement