Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times

Advertisements

Pardon my ignorance, is there an ExPat Board on City Data? Are there ExPats living abroad on this forum? I had a few questions I would like to ask.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
I look at the Mexico forum, and there seem to be several ex-pats living in Mexico who post to that forum. So you might ask your questions in the forum for whichever place you're considering to live in.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:34 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
They are not part of City-Data, but have you seen these websites:

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Expats Living Abroad
American Expats In The UK Forum (Since 2001) - Powered by vBulletin
AARO - Association of Americans Resident Overseas
Home :: American Citizens Abroad (ACA)

I do not live "abroad", but my son does. He is struggling to understand all the new IRS and banking issues that are making life miserable for many ex-pats.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks Reed. I had not seen those sites. I will check them out. I very much appreciate this.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I think an ex-Pats forum would be a good addition to C-D.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:51 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Also, depending on the country there is typically a local ex-pat website or message board that has local members. Just do a bit of due diligence and you will see that most places have them and they are typically a wealth of information.

Many of them have Yahoo message groups.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:06 PM

Thank you.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:23 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Thank you.
I think we need an expat forum. we have been looking at Belize lately and thinking about it seriously.

I think however, if we moved to FL we could still call ourselves expats lol. I do love Florida and it calls to me sometimes.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Hi MC,

I am called by Florida too. I lived in Orlando for 20 years and I miss is greatly. I moved from Orlando because the medical care is very poor, the crime is abundant, and the economy was (and is still) very bad. Nonetheless, I loved the weather, the restaurants, and all the great things to do there because it is a tourist destination. I just need to keep reminding myself that in the 20 years I lived there it changed for the worse.

I looked into Belize, Panama, Ecuador. The problem I found with Belize was that it doesn't have good medical care. We would have to go to Mexico or fly back to the USA. It has a few good dentists and a few good veterinarians, but that is not enough to entice me. Crime is really bad in Belize too.

Ecuador has good hospitals, but I don't speak Spanish. It has a lot of crime against Expats. There is corruption in the police/government. Laws are constantly being changed. Pretty much the same can be said for Panama.

I had gone to the ExPat forums to ask a question about long-term care. All of the blogs I read are about healthy people having the time of their lives and enjoying their retirement. But, when I ask about plans for long-term care when the ExPats become elderly and frail no one will respond. I keep wondering what happens to these people when they can no longer care for themselves. What happens if they run out of money? Will their new government step up and pay for their care? What happens if the Visa/residency laws change? How will they meet the newest requirements? These are things I would want answered before I felt comfortable leaving my country.

Anyway, there is a blog I follow that also calls to me. It is a blog written by a Realtor. Over a year ago she and her husband sold everything that they own and they have been traveling South America mostly the Latin America region. They write about each city that they visit and share pictures as they country shop. I would love to do the same thing but I fear my husband and I are too prosaic. I need some degree of certainty in my life and I live by planning.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:08 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Arrow Another expat site

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
They are not part of City-Data, but have you seen these websites:

Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Expats Living Abroad
American Expats In The UK Forum (Since 2001) - Powered by vBulletin
AARO - Association of Americans Resident Overseas
Home :: American Citizens Abroad (ACA)

I do not live "abroad", but my son does. He is struggling to understand all the new IRS and banking issues that are making life miserable for many ex-pats.
Just now came across another 2 website with info and forums for expats

http://www.uk-yankee.com/

International Relocation Guide : Moving overseas : Expat Info Desk

Last edited by reed303; 09-21-2013 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement