Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times

Advertisements

COLA is not applied based on need but to the benefit received. So the person with a 35k benefit they waited til 70 will get a lot more than the person with a 10k annual benefit. So we are thinking about different amounts individually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM

550 posts, read 368,918 times
Default Obama proposed cutting social security benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You do realize conservatives want it along with Obama as part of SS reform and Progressives fought it. It is on the table again as part of the budget debacle so expect the Chained CPI soon. You do realize who wants to cap Medicare and Privatize SS. Think Deficit reduction advocates as in demanding reduction advocates.

Obama proposed it. Whine all you want, but Obama proposed it, not Paul Ryan.

Did any Republicans ever agree? Is it on the table in current budget talks?

I have no idea, but I would ask Obama as I used to do with my children, if the other kids jumped off a cliff, would you do it. Obama proposed it.

P.S. It's sad the loony left ruined the term 'liberal' and now want to do the same to the term
'progressive.'

Old 10-15-2013, 12:56 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,011,638 times
Nearly all of the Republican SS reform plans, have included a change to the chained CPI. Including Paul Ryan's "Road Map".

The bipartisan Simpson-Bowles Commission recommended the chained CPI.

Obama didn't come up with the idea. He merely picked the less draconian of SS cuts, that had been proposed by others.

The problem with SS reform, is that both sides of the aisle, have an all or nothing ideology. In simple terms, it's like The Tea Party vs AARP.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post

I have no idea, but I would ask Obama as I used to do with my children, if the other kids jumped off a cliff, would you do it. Obama proposed it.

P.S. It's sad the loony left ruined the term 'liberal' and now want to do the same to the term
'progressive.'
You might want to do a news check. I know and said the president proposed it and I support it as part of entitlement reform to make SS sustainable. Many other Conservatives did also. I support pension and Medicare reform and often in this forum have mentioned Paul Ryans proposals in a positive light.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post

'progressive.'
You might want to include the following in your readings especially in you missed it during the 2012 cycle.

The Roadmap Plan | A Roadmap for America's Future | The Budget Committee Republicans

The Roadmap Plan | A Roadmap for America's Future | The Budget Committee Republicans
Social Security | A Roadmap for America's Future | The Budget Committee Republicans

Quote:
The proposal strengthens this important retirement program and makes it sustainable for the long term.
•Preserves the existing Social Security program for those 55 or older.
Offers workers under 55 the option of investing over one third of their current Social Security taxes into personal retirement accounts, similar to the Thrift Savings Plan available to Federal employees. Includes a property right so they can pass on these assets to their heirs, and a guarantee that individuals will not lose a dollar they contribute to their accounts, even after inflation.
Makes the program permanently solvent – according to the Congressional Budget Office [CBO] – by combining a more realistic measure of growth in Social Security’s initial benefits, with an eventual modernization of the retirement age.
This is from his site, his site and the GOP etc etc etc. No liberal publication but his and their own. Hopefully now you have an idea. This is presented in good spirits for information purposes.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 7,456 times
You did not read my words carefully. For ever $10 COLA dollars I get, $20 goes out. My rent goes up, food stamps go down. I make less when given more.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
 Recalculate rent when resident income decreases
 Recalculate rent when resident income increases by $200 or more per month
 Recalculate rent every 90 days when resident claims minimum rent hardship exemption

FACT SHEET For HUD ASSISTED RESIDENTS Doc-7787

Okay, so, we have "substantial" defined.

More or less all things being equal on average $200 equates to about 1% of maximum income for HUD eligibility.

The minimum income requirements for HUD eligibility vary for each of the 1,539 separately functioning economies in the US. HUD publishes the the minimum amount for each of the 1,539 separately functioning economies in MSWord and MSExcel (for those who are interested).

Following up....

Mircea
Thank you for this information, but for some reason in CT, there is none of this. They will take up to $2, on each $1 of COLA, after CT agencies get to me.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:06 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
So.............has the official word been given yet?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,477,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
So.............has the official word been given yet?
Not until next week...but it all indications are that it will be 1.5%.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:30 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,830,083 times
Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA) Information

Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA) Information for 2013

Monthly Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for nearly 62 million Americans will increase 1.7 percent in 2013.
The 1.7 percent cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) will begin with benefits that more than 56 million Social Security beneficiaries receive in January 2013. Increased payments to more than 8 million SSI beneficiaries will begin on December 31, 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement