Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:07 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

I'm putting this here because some of us - but not all of course- are susceptible to these smooth talking idiots and we seem to be more trusting than we should be. Also some living alone may not have someone to ask about this when it actually happens.

First I got calls without reference to my name. He said he was with Microsoft. When he told me I had problems with my computer he could see and would fix for me I was immediately suspicious. I hung up without letting him do his spiel.
A few days later he asked for my husband. I got my DH on the phone because I had told him about the previous calls and he said if they called again he wanted to hear the whole spiel. As I remember it, there was no talk about credit cards or charges just he wanted enough info that he would have access to our bank accounts and actually anything on our computer. DH told the jerk off in no uncertain terms and hung up. We haven't had any more calls.

What Should You Do After Falling For A Fake IT Support Scam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 01:12 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
I used to get these all the time. Now I get them occasionally. The people on the other end always had heavy Indian accents who said their names were very American sounding and that they were from Microsoft. I finally yelled at one of the last callers to stop bothering me.

I didn't hear from them for awhile then they began calling again. This one really took the cake because I decided to have some fun with him. He went through his spiel. He asked if my computer was turned on. I told him it was. He said that he could see into my computer and there were serious problems he could fix. All I had to do is give him my credit card number to charge for the fees and all would be well. I asked him what the problems were and he gave me some technical mumbo jumbo. I asked if he could see into my computer right now as we were speaking. He assured me he could and that he could see into it as I was speaking to him.

Finally I told him that if he could see into my computer it would be a pretty good trick because it actually was a taken apart in the shop being repaired. He didn't know what to say. Poor guy was so flustered and confused, he started to tell me I should give him my credit card number again and I told him to stop the BS and hang up because I was going to. And I did.

From time to time they still call me and I hang up. Enough is enough.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:47 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,677 times
I got one of these calls once. I also played with him, asked him if he could see my computer? He said yes, told me everything that was wrong with it. I asked him all kinds of questions about it, and of course he said he could fix it all. Finally got tired of the game, told him he was really good, because I was in my barn cleaning stalls and didnt own a computer. Now I just put those numbers on my block list.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:45 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,200,373 times
I got a call from one of these "Microsoft" guys two weeks ago. He had his phone number totally blocked, it just said Out of Area. His thing was that my computer was "broadcasting" to the Internet and I was committing cybercrime. He wanted me to go to my computer and look up some number. I told him it was a scam. He went on and on about how I was a cybercriminal and needed to do what he said. He got very annoyed and profane and said he would call me every single day until I did what he wanted. For a while I thought he was gone, but then I got another Out of Area call where I couldn't get a phone number yesterday. If he tries it again, I plan to file a police report.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,225,468 times
Guess that they found and got to me late because the first call of this nature was just a few days ago. It was "Microsoft" saying that I had two viruses and that my bank account information had been hacked. Before he even got any farther, just starrted laughing, and asked him if he really thought that I was dumb enought to fall for such an obvious scam, and then hung up. Just to be on the safe side, ran a full system scan with the AV. Of course there was nothing found. The thing about these scammers is that all they have to do is get perhaps one of every 10 or even 20 persons they call, to bite on their spiel to hit pay dirt.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:52 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
I got one of those calls about 3 months ago. Just hung up. FWIW - real MSFT support people often have Indian accents and use "American" names . But you have to call them - they don't call you. Robyn

Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,467,599 times
You know how I avoid most of those calls, no id, me no answer, call goes to voice mail, they don't leave a message they don't get a call back, and if they do leave info and get a call back from me, it's because I've already reversed searched the number and determined it's not a spammer and I for some reason feel talkative.

One thing, for sure, I like being older, it gives me plenty of room to make excuses for not getting to the phone soon enough to answer no matter who is calling. My daughter is the only one that doesn't let that excuse fly even if it's true when it comes to her calls. Sigh.

It's really sad that people have to contend with these types of calls, I do especially feel bad for those that don't have anyone to let them know of these scam practices and end up falling victim.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
I also use my caller ID to screen people. The problem is, I have missed a couple of important calls by not answering because I did not recognize the numbers. Hopefully the honest ones will leave me a message to call back. And those fake Microsoft people are clever. They have started using "Private Caller" as ID's. My sister has her number come up as that so I don't know if it's she who is calling me or some scammer.

I wish I could hook up my old answering machine to my phone so I could screen calls as they came in but I can't do that. Still, I figure that if it's a scammer, they won't leave a message, if it's a legitimate caller, they will.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:18 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I also use my caller ID to screen people. The problem is, I have missed a couple of important calls by not answering because I did not recognize the numbers. Hopefully the honest ones will leave me a message to call back. And those fake Microsoft people are clever. They have started using "Private Caller" as ID's. My sister has her number come up as that so I don't know if it's she who is calling me or some scammer.

I wish I could hook up my old answering machine to my phone so I could screen calls as they came in but I can't do that. Still, I figure that if it's a scammer, they won't leave a message, if it's a legitimate caller, they will.
One of my brothers had his phone set up this way. I told him not to expect me to answer the phone because I would never do so when I see that. He was okay with it and would start talking at the voice prompt. I'd pick up if I was home.

I never answer our land line unless someone is talking at the voice prompt and I want to talk to them. Never. In fact our answering machine tells people that. We get too many wrong numbers. I rarely answer my cell unless I know the number or I'm expecting a call that I need to get.

Works well.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
Next time they call I'm going to try asking for their IP address so I can let it through the firewall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement