Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times

Advertisements

Yes, I had a few jitters in the last month or so. It didn't help that I was in northern VA and sequestration had just started and people to the left and right of me were having bad things happen to their jobs. I started to wonder if I was making a big mistake, if it was too late to change my mind, etc.

I originally had big plans for things I wanted to do my first week of retirement. I wanted to kick things off with a bang, but in reality I did very little because I had managed to scare myself into thinking I was going to be in serious financial trouble. Mostly I did housework, and I went out to a beach not far from where I lived to visit some friends. Spent a lot of time looking at insurance plans and financial websites...and then I made some decisions that had to be made that week and moved on.

Shortly after I retired I went to a "social group for retirees" at a local church. It turned out to be the low point of my first year of retirement. Looking back now, it's funny to realize how much these people stressed me out--but they did. The problem was that I hung out a little too much with them at first. I thought "this was it" as far as a local retirement group, so I put up with some behavior I normally would avoid. Plus I didn't fit in because the people in this group called themselves retirees but in reality most of the people had lost their jobs due to the sequester. They were bitter about this (understandably so) but it made them resentful of someone like me who had chosen to retire. They weren't interested in hearing any ideas for things to do or ways to find enjoyment in being off work. All they wanted to do was complain and sit around griping. I had a lot of sympathy for those people, but soon realized I didn't relate. I knew I didn't want to hang out with them, but hung in there a little bit because I was afraid there was not other group to hang out with.

Then I decided I didn't care, they were just too depressing. Walking away from the group was the beginning of a much better experience.

The first thing I discovered was I enjoyed spending time doing things on my own. Taking my daily photo really helped me with this. I'm such a fan of doing that. I started to work out, and discovered I really liked doing that. And, eventually, I also found a few new groups to hang out with that were better fits. I found fellow retirees who were more similar to me. I decided I needed to find new places to take my daily photos, and in so doing discovered some interesting local programs I never knew existed.

I retired in January. By the time winter had melted into spring I had found new friends, new interests, and new zest. I calmed down about the financial situation and once I adjusted to the recent economic turmoils I realized we would be ok. We had done a good job of preparing over the decades before retirement, and no matter what the economy was doing we were in good shape.

We had originally planned to travel a lot at the beginning of retirement, and so we decided to start traveling. Nothing fancy, but we did work in a trip to the Berkshires, a trip out to California, and a few weeks in Italy (met up with family over there, and we split a few of the places we stayed in, which helped keep the costs somewhat lower). Spent a lot of time visiting a relative that we had helped out after Sandy. Her nephew had moved into the NY house and was fixing up the storm damage, and meanwhile she had moved into a vacation cabin. We enjoyed exploring the Poconos with her, and went to NY a few times, too. Spent a lot of time traveling up and down coastal VA, looking at possible retirement homes. Eventually we got tired of traveling, and I got into volunteering for the local fire department and training for a half marathon. We bought a house, and then spent the summer moving our things down there.

Also spent the summer doing all our favorite things in northern VA before we moved away, which resulted in one amazing summer I'll always have fond memories of. Highly recommend doing that. We didn't spend all that much money, but we sure did a lot of things. Loved being able to go kayaking on a week day instead of going into work, and having the Potomac all to myself (and the herons and eagles). It never got old.

This is a long answer--the short answer is I had the jitters at first, but everything worked out and we found ways to make things work. I liked working while I was an employee, but now that I've adjusted to retirement I couldn't imagine going back to a job now.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-01-2013 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 01:39 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
OP

I got what you are saying and I too am a little jittery of jumping. Think it is human nature to be cautious about major changes.

Enjoy the next phase of life

It is the right time.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:38 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This, also like buying your first house, having your first child, and your first child getting married. Only worse, because for all of those you were probably working. I have just a few years left so I am starting to
get to that point, and I try to concentrate on the things I have been meaning to do over the last 20 years and haven't had time, rather than worrying about the financial aspects.
BINGO! As my DH said, we didn't exactly know what we were getting into in the events mentioned, going off to college, getting married, etc. so look at retirement the same way, another adventure. We've, both of us, been retired only two months and it has been non stop.

We did start with a bang, a two week trip to Italy and France, spending the France time with a dear old friend who lives there. Now, as it seems, reasons to be retired have just popped up, first dealing with an elderly family member's illness and now death with my DH immersed as the executor of the trust/estate. Needless to say that's taking time, especially since it means traveling to do the house clean out, etc. in the future. We are also trying to clean and downsize ourself to put our house on the market in the spring.

As for work, don't miss it, other than the friends and I'm keeping in touch with them. I've said I've retired from the school system where I worked, but not the profession I'm in, so I'm still going with friends to a conference and still work on a board. But, I turned down a chance to sub one day/week as I knew the situation it was going to turn into a 2 1/2 day/week sub later on and I don't want or need to make that type of commitment now. Got plenty to do, hopefully most on MY terms, not someone else's.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:46 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, that's for sure about the work BS bucket- although you have to know that your perspective of "halleluia, I'm retiring in.....(fill in the time slots)" makes that bucket look even fuller than it might be.
I wish, but unfortunately, that's not the case. The bucket is overflowing as as several people have left due to poor management. My problem is that I don't want to be responsible for bringing a new person into this mess, especially since I'm leaving in a few months.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM

157 posts, read 357,407 times
I've been retired for two years now and I love it! I retired at 63 I had planned to work till 65 or 66. Circumstances at work, new computer system (which continues to be a major headache today) gave me the incentive to move it up. I am really glad
I wasn't there to face the stress and frustration my former coworkers have had to deal with. I downsized and moved to another state that was a little more senior friendly, since retiring I've taken an Alaska cruise, a trip to Yellowstone and
taken advantage of my silver sneakers and joined a gym. I feel great and I'm enjoying life!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
I retired a little over 3 years ago...........The hardest thing I remember was trying to get rid of that smile I had constantly on my face for about three months..........

Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Oddly, I had no trepidation or jitters at all about retiring. And that was after working for 37 years.

And I retired rather suddenly at age 62. I had intended to work longer, but upon turning 62, I suddenly had the overwhelming desire to retire due to not being happy with the conditions at work and wanting to leave the large east coast city where I was working.

I retired and 3 weeks later moved back to the Midwestern state where I had previously lived for 23 years.

It has worked out great. I love not working. My only income is social security. I do have a 401(k) which I have not touched at all in my 4 years of retirement. I've tapped into some savings but not hugely. Haven't had much of any money worries so far. (And I'm single without a partner to depend on)

I have so many varied interests that filling up time is not a problem!

And I agree about having a smile on one's face in retirement - after 4 years, the smile is still there.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-02-2013 at 02:16 AM..

Old 11-02-2013, 04:53 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
My plan was to retire November, 2014 when I turned 65. However, I was laid off from my job as a legal assistant, after 19 years in March of this year. I was totally burned out and received a very good package and quite honestly I was glad it happened. At that point I decided I was retiring then and will begin receiving Social Security this December (at age 64). With that and my pension, I will be fine financially and I have not missed working for a single moment.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
newmarlig,
Your law firm gave pensions? Or were you not at a law firm? The law firm where I worked for 18 years did not give a pension - they had a 401(k) instead. And two other law firms where I worked after that had 401(k)'s instead of pensions too.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
Next month will be 7 years of retirement for me, and I wouldn't have done it any different. To the OP, all of us here that have, or are considering retirement surely, at one time or another had trepidation about the future, and if retirement will be the right decision. But I look at life as a journey, and quiet possibly your journey is taking you to a different arena in your life. Sometimes we have to make our lives conform to circumstance in order to be happy. Change things in your life, and embrace the change. You have given for so many years, now, take back. Enjoy retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement