Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:45 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

I felt no jitters but I was not relocating at the same time. Knowing I would probably be in my townhouse until I die provided a sense of stability. Also, I was getting burned out the last couple of years, so I was looking forward to retirement. Having no doubts about the decision probably reduced any possibility of jitters also.

Now having said all that, it is a big step and I can easily understand having jitters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:26 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
In my estimation, even when you are prepared - when the time comes you should treat retirement as a life passage - and not make any major changes for six months or so. Hopefully not making any rash decisions or choices that you regret - and tweaking the budget so you aren't burning through the cash faster than you thought you would.

We, hopefully, will be ready - but it still will be a shock for me - to not get up every morning for work.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:00 PM

400 posts, read 738,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
... I tend to grieve things gone by and so the busier, the better. I'm already thinking about our next adventure...
I'm the same way. Feeling better today, after donating 13 heavy bags of clothing/sheets/comforters and one big box of books, and throwing away three very heavy trash bags of old memories (children's report cards, concert programs, crayoned Mother's Day cards).

The hardest thing was seeing the piano go away yesterday. But no one plays it anymore, and I can't move it with me. I also sold my old violin that my uncle gave me back in 1961.

Onward, forward and upward.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

It's no different than any other change in life. You're going into the "unknown" and it will make you anxious until you get there and find out everything is okay.
This is true. It's a threshold, like others we have crossed.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
The hardest thing was seeing the piano go away yesterday. But no one plays it anymore, and I can't move it with me. I also sold my old violin that my uncle gave me back in 1961.

I've always felt musical instruments were meant to make music. If they've reached a point where they've become a decoration, then it's time to pass them on to someone who will bring music from them again. Think of it as contributing to the joy in the universe. (And to your personal joy, too, since you won't have to move a piano now.)

Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
To be honest with you, I retired March 31, 2007 and moved to another state 6 weeks later. I was so focused on the move (what had to get done) and what the change in my life that moving to a new state alone to start a new life would mean, that retirement (the act of leaving the job) took a back seat as an issue. I had so much to do move-wise, I practically ran out the door at work and didn't give it any thought. I think if I didn't have the move looming, the act of retiring might have evoked more feelings about leaving work. I didn't dislike my job, either. I was just looking forward to a completely new life.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:25 AM

Laura, I'm also very focused on the move. It's been crazy hectic, and not only is it hard to go through all of my stored belongings and donate, toss or sell them, but I'm going through my mother's stuff again (she passed away last Oct.), and my dad's stuff, and my kids'. And it's imperative to move ASAP, so my husband and I can combine the expenses of running two homes, so the pressure's on.

Everyone's circumstances are different, and retirement plays a part, major or minor, along with whatever else is going on. Probably my "jitters" have more to do with the other looming changes, besides retirement.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I've always felt musical instruments were meant to make music. If they've reached a point where they've become a decoration, then it's time to pass them on to someone who will bring music from them again. Think of it as contributing to the joy in the universe. (And to your personal joy, too, since you won't have to move a piano now.)
Yes, agree. It's been in the back of my mind for years to pass them along, and the time is now. Fortunately, I took my violin into a shop where the owner felt a connection to it and planned to have one of his apprentice violin-makers work on repairing and refurbishing it so that another young person could have a great violin in the future. Made me feel so good!

The store I bought the piano from took it back to sell on consignment. They, too, will give it any TLC it needs (not much) and sell it again to someone who will enjoy playing it. I'm very happy about that.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
I'm the same way. Feeling better today, after donating 13 heavy bags of clothing/sheets/comforters and one big box of books, and throwing away three very heavy trash bags of old memories (children's report cards, concert programs, crayoned Mother's Day cards).

You gave away comforters?????? Why didn't you ship them to me??

Curious to know what you're doing with all the mementos and photos of the kids. That is the huge project I face this winter and I don't really want to start. I've offered them each their "boxes" and they look at me sweetly and ask if I can just hang onto them for them, please...

I've given a ton of stuff away before my move here 2 years ago and also since, and the stuff keeps multiplying (I'm really not buying anything other than a few things for grandkids) - either that or I really didn't make a dent. This house doesn't have an attic so that's a blessing. Attics give me the hives. I cannot stand to have stuff hanging around in storage. But quilts and comforters....those are practical.... and it is cold up here....

Old 11-04-2013, 06:15 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I have no jitters. We will pack up from here with an average retirement income. We will move to someplace where we can find part time employment. With to combination of the two, we should be able to keep busy, meet new folks, and be able to pretty much maintain our current lifestyle. Plus we are looking forward to have a lot more fun activities available than our current location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement