Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

My friend has pink lightbulbs in her bathroom. I noticed some soft pink light in a fine hotel bathroom. I look fab in pink light. Yellow or white light makes me look like a hag. I am heading out to find pink lightbulbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Is that kind of like looking at the world through rose colored glasses. I am always amazed at how the elderly, especially women focus on their looks, even as they get old. My wife is not different, but what makes her feel better is that she doesn't look as bad as others her age. She still has her hair, teeth, and she hasn't gotten fat. Maybe the OP should focus on just being happy she's alive and up having fun. Check the obits. Lots of folks die surprisingly young these days.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
How can I arrange to have celebrations from here on out only in venues with flattering lighting, I wonder. I might have to start carrying candles and pink light bulbs. No wonder there are jokes about weird habits of old people. "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Is that kind of like looking at the world through rose colored glasses. I am always amazed at how the elderly, especially women focus on their looks, even as they get old. My wife is not different, but what makes her feel better is that she doesn't look as bad as others her age. She still has her hair, teeth, and she hasn't gotten fat. Maybe the OP should focus on just being happy she's alive and up having fun. Check the obits. Lots of folks die surprisingly young these days.
My personal preference in life is quality, not quantity. I don't find life so fascinating that I want to live to be 150.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I will take you to work with me and show you this beautiful 37 year old that blew an aneurism after giving birth to her beautiful baby. Then I'll show you her heart broken family sitting there day after day begging her to wake up. A dream that most likely will never happen. Or how about this really good looking 30 year old in chronic rejection from his lung transplant living attached to a ventilator? Now would you rather accept the hand that nature's dealt you or trade places with that beautiful 37 year old or 30 year old? There are far greater tragedies then accepting the fact that we all get old and if that's your only vain complaint then you're on easy street. I can't tell you how many train wrecks I take care of at work that are my age. I'll wear my ugly old age as a badge of honor and I only hope I can live that long without some major complication.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:56 AM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Thank God I am 26 and will turn 27 soon! Note to oneself, you look good now and so don't beat yourself over it!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I will take you to work with me and show you this beautiful 37 year old that blew an aneurism after giving birth to her beautiful baby. Then I'll show you her heart broken family sitting there day after day begging her to wake up. A dream that most likely will never happen. Or how about this really good looking 30 year old in chronic rejection from his lung transplant living attached to a ventilator? Now would you rather accept the hand that nature's dealt you or trade places with that beautiful 37 year old or 30 year old? There are far greater tragedies then accepting the fact that we all get old and if that's your only vain complaint then you're on easy street. I can't tell you how many train wrecks I take care of at work that are my age. I'll wear my ugly old age as a badge of honor and I only hope I can live that long without some major complication.
I guess you are attempting to insert overall philosophical perspective into the discussion. It is a little invalidating of this particular EXPERIENCE I was sharing . . . I am not stuck there - I had a moment and am pretty much moving through it, as per usual . . . it's kind of shaming in a way to say, "You have it so well. How would you like (blank) instead." Just something to consider.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM

When I was about age 11 to 13 I was a hottie, now at 26 I can't compete. I used to get so much attention and compliments, from other kids and adults alike, it is was addicting. No I am NOT being sarcastic or joking, it was real! Sometimes I envy my younger self.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I guess you are attempting to insert overall philosophical perspective into the discussion. It is a little invalidating of this particular EXPERIENCE I was sharing . . . I am not stuck there - I had a moment and am pretty much moving through it, as per usual . . . it's kind of shaming in a way to say, "You have it so well. How would you like (blank) instead." Just something to consider.

I agree with you, sure there are people who have much worse situations, but that does not take away from it. Sure having full blown AIDS for example is worse than losing teeth, does not mean you should feel good about losing teeth.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
A change in physical appearance happens slowly over time and we don't notice it looking in a mirror everyday. It takes catching that look of surprise (before they tactfully hide it) from someone you haven't seen in a while, or looking at pictures taken years ago.. My DH found a security i.d. card that had been lost for several years and was surprised to see how dark his hair was a few years ago.

It seems like all that has been inside over the years, begins to surface and add up: smile and frown lines are one choice you do get to pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement