Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times

Advertisements

What are the odds of this happening?

My sister got shingles in her 65th year. She still
has residual nerve damage.

My brother got shingles in his 65th year. He's
doing okay.

My next brother just informed me he's got shingles.
He's 65 in two weeks. What are the odds?

We all had chicken pox at the same time. There are
only 5 years difference with 5 children. Could that
strain of chicken pox be to blame? Is that possible.
I'm next and then my younger sister. We got the shot, though.
The older three didn't.
If this helps one person I'll be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i had it 2 years ago but it was sooooooooo mild thankfully.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:53 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,596 times
I got my first case of shingles at 22. My younger brother at 42.
I have had shingles 3 times and I am under 50. My brother has had them twice now (42, 47).
We have another brother who has not had shingles, yet we all had chicken pox at the same time.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
You would think insurance or Medicare would cover this shot. Or a percentage. I have been thinking about it. A friend got it and it was over $200. Seems rather high. I do take L-lysine daily.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:49 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I thought it WAS covered by health insurance. I did get the shot, paid for it myself, but was told that I could wait and it would be covered by insurance. Maybe it's not Medicare itself that pays, maybe it's the additional coverage that most of us get.

In my case I had an aunt who had the most horrible and frightening case of shingles that you can imagine so when I heard that a shot was available I ran right out and got it.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:57 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
All I know is that a friend, who has BC/BS, had to pay for it. She was told is wasn't covered and I believe she wasn't the only one I heard that from.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:00 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
You would think insurance or Medicare would cover this shot. Or a percentage. I have been thinking about it. A friend got it and it was over $200. Seems rather high. I do take L-lysine daily.
Both my wife and I had mild cases of chicken pox when we were very young and we both got the shingles shot about four years ago. Neither of us has ever had shingles. Our insurance at the time (pre-Medicare) covered it 100% as well as the polio shot and flu vaccines. We are both now on Medicare and our flu shots continue to be free. Medicare also covers the polio vaccine. Neither Part A or B cover the shingles shot but Part D, if you have it, will. Also, your supplement policy or Medicare Advantage coverage may as preventive care.

Last edited by Ghostly1; 11-15-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 02:34 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
All I know is that a friend, who has BC/BS, had to pay for it. She was told is wasn't covered and I believe she wasn't the only one I heard that from.
There is no "one" BC/BS plan. What's covered and what's not covered is determined by the specific contract that BC/BS has with the provider of the plan. I can tell you with 100% certainty that I have BC/BS and it is covered. Here's the pertinent section of my BC/BS benefits brochure:

The Value of Preventive Care
Preventive care is important at any age to help identify any health concerns and to give you peace of mind about your health. Early detection of health concerns or problems will allow treatment to begin sooner which may decrease the severity of complications.

We Have You Covered: Under both Standard and Basic Option, you pay nothing for an annual physical and the tests and services usually performed as part of the exam when you use a Preferred provider. You can also count on your Service Benefit Plan to pay for cancer screenings in full when you use a Preferred provider, including colonoscopies to screen for colon cancer and mammograms to screen for breast cancer. The final piece of maintaining your health is immunizations, although most of us think of immunizations as just for children. You pay nothing for shingles vaccines, flu shots, meningococcal vaccines and tetanus-diphtheria boosters, and the related office visit, when you use a Preferred provider.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:37 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
In the medical plan we have it is covered IF you are 60 or older. Turned 60 this past year, and got it.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:56 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
In the past year I've talked to 4 doctors and 2 pharmacy's that give the shot and all have said that insurance did not cover the shot and the cost's they quoted were between $200.00 and $250.00.
My wife got the shingles a few years ago. She itched badly and was sore to the touch. She went to dematologist as soon as she had an outbreak and the doctor gave her some skin cream and some pills, and within 3 weeks it was all over with. Doc said that it was good that she came in right away to be checked and that's why it didn't get worse. He said too many people wait a long time to finally get some releif.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement