Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM

124 posts, read 274,629 times

Advertisements

I don't think inflation would have that much of an effect on someone who's retired with no mortgage nor car payments etc. Just throwing out the illusion as everything is in place to limit that kind of thing. I'd be tickled to be able to get the run of the mill 5% that was the norm for most of my adult life. Being in my almost mid 60's and seeing what's happened at least twice in the last 13 years stock market wise, I'd be happy with some normalcy. Pipe dreams are the same as they always were, something to dream about. As for pension money I'd love to have some, but I've been a self employed tradesman most of my life. Luckily my wife has made a fortune as a school teacher in Florida and South Carolina(see and read the former Yankee sarcasm)....hence my plan to work as long as I can climb a step ladder and get up off the floor after painting base boards. pd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 11:36 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle Hound View Post
I am 63 and want to retire in 2014. Have $555000. Enough?

No.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:59 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
The Secret Math Behind Early Retirement

Old 12-24-2013, 08:53 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post

I am not advocating irresponsible behavior, we all obviously need to save. But sorry, unless you are making huge money anyone who is saving 30% of their take home pay is sacrificing quality of life IMO. Life is for living and nobody is guaranteed a long life. As I said I am a responsible saver but I also understand that you should enjoy life while you can.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:24 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am not advocating irresponsible behavior, we all obviously need to save. But sorry, unless you are making huge money anyone who is saving 30% of their take home pay is sacrificing quality of life IMO. Life is for living and nobody is guaranteed a long life. As I said I am a responsible saver but I also understand that you should enjoy life while you can.
It depends on what the definition of 'making huge money' is.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:44 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
It depends on what the definition of 'making huge money' is.
True and obviously everyone's lifestyle is different. But I have to believe 30% for the vast majority of people means huge sacrifices. Again plan for the future but don't forget to live while you can is my believe.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I agree with Dave. We'll be retiring in a few years with less than the OP. However, we also plan to work some. If the working doesn't happen in retirement, we'll just learn to budget and do without. We've done it before.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:40 AM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
I think the better question may be "If I have $X, what kind of retirement can I have?" The wife and I aren't seeing eye to eye on this just yet. For instance, one of our cars is now 10 years old. She's talking about getting a new one rather than putting maybe $1500 of repair into it. I don't know why. When we were both working, sure. But she's been on a break since October and may not get another job. I'm working part time, so if I take the newer car, sometimes she has to drive the beater. But she may not need a car that day anyway. So why invest $30K in something we use once in awhile? And of course the tax on the purchase, plus Arkansas taxes our cars every year, plus a rise in the insurance on a more expensive vehicle and so on.

If the life situation changes, needs change with it. But some people are really creatures of habit. If they always bought a new car every three years---or got new clothes every fall---or always have to have the newest, biggest TV---or constantly try keeping up with the Joneses---they may be spending money they really don't need to.

Also, we've turned into bargain hounds. At the supermarket, we look for the meat that's been marked down because it expires soon. Dented cans? No problem. We get no name brand stuff at Aldi (try the Hwy 5 wine---it's $5 a bottle). We shop at discount clothing stores. The wife looks for the "oops" paint and plants that are struggling (discounted) at Home Depot. We're forever checking the end caps in stores for stuff they're trying to get rid of.

There's one store here that puts out fresh inventory in bins on Saturday. For the weekend, everything is $10. On Monday it drops to $5, then $4 on Tuesday etc. until it's $1 on Friday. We've found some killer deals. For instance, six dozen "greenie" dog treats would run about $75 on amazon; we got them for $10.

Mind you, we do have money socked away. But why spend it if you don't have to?

Also, in an effort to avoid wasting money, just before we moved, we decided: no more presents. Not anniversary or birthday or Christmas or any of that. Why rack your brain to buy the other person something (s)he doesn't really want or need? Throughout the year we buy what we want when we want it or need it or when it's on sale. Sometimes I would order something, like a camera, and when it arrived I'd joke, "Look at what you got me for my birthday!" when my birthday was still 6 months away. We honor the occasions by going out to dinner and that's good enough.

I think a lot of people do a mental substitution. For instance, "I saved so much on those groceries that I can treat myself to a dinner out." That's fine. But what did I really want most? I substituted, 'By not wasting money here, I can retire earlier. A day, a week, a month? I don't know. Earlier.'

Old 08-29-2022, 12:44 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
This thread is almost 10years old

Old 08-29-2022, 12:53 PM

899 posts, read 669,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
This thread is almost 10years old
I know, right? At the bottom of the thread it said (basically) "Feel free to add new opinions because people are still reading these." So I reanimated the zombie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement