Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:45 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
When I retired my position in government was eliminated, so nobody moved up to my old slot. My workload was distributed out to the remaining folks, who had to figure out how to add it to their current responsibilities. This wasn't unusual in my old work environment, I had to frequently absorb extra work when others left the organization. It was just a fact of life there, and the reality is you just prioritized the work and left some stuff undone. Over time, the "undone" stuff often was forgotten, until some crisis occurred and the finger pointing exercises begun.
Ditto to all of the above
And according to the few people that I keep in touch with, my old department is currently in a bunch of trouble because "my" reports aren't being submitted to the state on time ... if at all.

In 8 months, I've been asked to come back on contract 3 times. I've said "no" 3 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
And according to the few people that I keep in touch with, my old department is currently in a bunch of trouble because "my" reports aren't being submitted to the state on time ... if at all.

In 8 months, I've been asked to come back on contract 3 times. I've said "no" 3 times.
This is becoming typical across government and will probably be the new norm in the public sector with benefit and salary cut backs. Benefits serve the purpose of recruitment and retention and without them you will probably end up with a lesser qualified workforce that doesn't hang around as long as the folks they replace. However if that is what the public wants that is evidently what they are about to get. Also true in the private sector if they voluntarily weaken their ability to compete in tight markets.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:20 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Those millenials (I guess they're the ones) are getting very vocal about getting people to retire so they can get jobs. Dang they hate the Boomers.
Those millenials need to learn to find, or create, their own opportunities. Nobody owes them anything.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
"Should" is a funny word.

Only government/public sector seem to 'hamstring' their organizations via 'patronage' and seniority systems, that may appoint or tolerate lesser qualified people in senior positions.

The private sector is driven by 'profit' and does not readily suffer incompetence or fools at the top or in senior positions.

In the private sector, senior folks typically retire when they are ready. Neither they, or American corporations have any motivation to fill top positions with anyone other than the best people.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
The millennial's I work with, are very vocal about "why do we need all of these managers?" It doesn't even dawn on them, that they're making the case to eliminate any possibility of their own rise in the organization
They never think things through to their logical conclusions. Myopic, and vocal on top of that.

Someone should remind then that there's a reason why God gave them 2 ears and 2 eyes, but only 1 mouth.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Economically it makes no sense to get rid of a highly productive worker who has vast experience based on age to hire a unknown often.
CORRECT:

Turnover costs a company considerable each hear. Long term employees are a known factor of what they will produce. New hires are an unknown factor, so it is big factor when making a decision when taking on new employees.

People retire, when they are ready to retire, based on their individual needs. This is one time they have control of their lives.

It is unreasonable, to think that that people that have been employed for a long time, to just get up and quit so someone else can have a job.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:30 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Those millenials need to learn to find, or create, their own opportunities. Nobody owes them anything.

I totally agree.

The public and private sectors have changed. Health and retirement benefits are no longer available to the private sector so it is time for the public employees have some real world experience. Too much preferencial hiring with life long benefits in government which cannot be sustained by taxpayers who are struggling themselves.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:09 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
"Should" is a funny word.

Only government/public sector seem to 'hamstring' their organizations via 'patronage' and seniority systems, that may appoint or tolerate lesser qualified people in senior positions.

The private sector is driven by 'profit' and does not readily suffer incompetence or fools at the top or in senior positions.

In the private sector, senior folks typically retire when they are ready. Neither they, or American corporations have any motivation to fill top positions with anyone other than the best people.
Now there's a self-aggrandizing, gross generalization if ever I read one. While there is some of that it's by no means the norm. That holds true in the private sector as well in which "Sonny Boy" or "The Little Princess" are given top-earning positions even if it took them 'til their 20s to learn how to tie their shoes without help (How's that feel?). As a senior manager in government I sat on a lot of interview panels for new hires as well as promotions and friendship or nepotism were never a factor in my selections. In fact, if there was any familial connection or outside friendship it was common for an interviewing manager to step down for that interview and assessment and a disinterested party to step in.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:23 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,317 times
I think you had good intentions, but unless you can nominate and usher in someone younger and more deserving - in your eyes - those intentions may not be realized. Everyone should do what they want. Most likely, the company you work for will not do something so noble as your wish.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Not in government but I got asked to work contract at my retirement lunch
I said No and not to even bother asking in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement