Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Thanks, everyone. This confirms my thoughts - I really need a one-level condo for them. There is a complex only 10 minute drive from me and on a bus line that I've been targeting for a while: it has first floor condos with attached garage, and they are just the perfect size/price. I just need to sit tight and wait until one of those will go on sale. Usually, there are about 5-6 of those sold every year, since people are also buying (and selling) these as kiddie condos for their college age kids.
However, I have to agree with those that said about real estate development not keeping up with aging population demands: this complex may be the only one with a setup I like.
You've definitely made the right choice. Buying a condo with no stairs and an attached garage is the way to go. I've seen many of my friends and relatives struggle with and fall down stairs due to injuries, surgeries, and age. It's simply not worth the risk. We retired early and when we were looking for our retirement home we wouldn't even consider anyplace with steps and it's proved to be a prudent decision. Best wishes. Your parents are lucky to have such a thoughtful child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:18 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
We were looking for an apartment, and decided to go with one that has stairs. Maybe we should have kept looking....

I think you should try to find one without stairs, in case one gets sick, goes to hospital, comes home, and can't make the steps.

However last summer, after SO heart attack, in the house, he could not do stairs, we set up the living room for his "space", which worked fine.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:59 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfloyd View Post
No, unless they can get one of those chairs that go up/down the stair railing.
My thoughts as well. If they are happy where they are and the stairs are the only issue, I would look into the cost of installing a stair climber versus selling, buying and moving.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hummm. ...a place with stairs I still don't and might never have a problem with or a place with a bunch of college kids...possibly over my head or sharing a wall?
What to choose, what to choose?
And you're already contemplating taking their car away...with or without reason?
Do you discuss these things with them?
Ha, I knew this would freak some people out . It's a good mix of college kids who actually want to stay away from the craziness of campus-centered neighborhoods, young (and not so young) single professionals, and yes, retired people in their late 60s- late 70s - seen plenty of them while looking at properties and walking around their park.
My parents rent a first floor of multi-apartment home now, and trust me, the people upstairs are no less obnoxious than some college kids. There are multitude of other problems with this move, but having several college kids, possibly even sharing a wall, is not the biggest issue.
Of course, I discuss these things with my parents. Haven't approached the driving issue yet, though.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
No stairs. I live up a flight of stairs and it's a killer for me because of leg and foot issues. It is especially difficult for lugging groceries because I must hold onto the bannister with at least on hand. I did not have the leg issues when I retired.

Also consider how trash goes down the stairs as well as some things that must be taken to a store for repair. For example, my desktop, monitor and printer were delivered to me by UPS but if I have to take them to be repaired I have to carry them down the stairs and then back up again. Suitcases are another issue.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:02 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
Stay away from stairs. Also I know a 75 yr old lady who uses a walker and she lives in an apt bldg. that has an elevator and stairs. Often the elevator is not working and she has to use the stairs! This is unacceptable. It takes her forever to
get up to the 3rd floor. And if she fell while trying to get up there? If it was me I would only buy/rent a ground floor unit.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 AM

768 posts, read 859,911 times
Keep looking....don't be impatient. I used to tell my clients all the time that "their place was out there, we just had to find it"...and it always proved to be the case. Your parents, and more importantly, your state of mind, will be better off with everything on one level for them. Those places do exist and something else....when you have to sell it...they will resell much faster.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:14 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
I bought a ranch style home on a cement slab foundation just so my 86 year old mother can get in and out of it. I'm 53 and my knees are pretty shot already from sports injuries when I was young. I can climb stairs fine, its coming down that really hurts. Plan for both today and the future. I like two story homes, but the stairs have become a deal breaker the last ten years.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
The mid-century "ranch" houses are one-level and I think are often for sale when people age on out of them. Some of my co-workers own one, bought as a single parent or with one child, and are now seeing how they can easily age on one level, putting some money into upgrading kitchen, etc. for looks and functionality, rather than buying something else.
When I had my 1250 sq.ft. house designed in 2000, I wanted a ranch style but at the time, didn't have the space to build out, and had to build up. I put my main bedroom and bath on the first floor and this proved very handy when I got a badly infected dog bite and couldn't use a stair step for close to two weeks. It's not always about age. Anyone can break an ankle.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:10 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Stairs are fine and help to keep one in shape. My grandparents house in NY state had very steep stairs and they managed them until they died, each in their late 80's. When I remodeled my home, I added a 2nd story and designed a staircase with 17 stairs with wide treads and the lowest riser allowed by code. It's a dream to go up and down and a lot easier on the hips and knees than conventional staircases.

I grew up in houses with stairs and yes, fell down a few times as a kid but so what? Kids fall all the time - normal I think. The only bad part about the stairs is they creaked and when I'd sneak in late from dates, I had to avoid the center of the steps, lean on the railing to take my weight off the steps and stick to the edges! ha ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement