Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What factor MOST influences/influenced your decision of where to retire?
Financial (such as property taxes, income taxes, housing price, cost of living) 56 38.10%
Proximity to Family 28 19.05%
Proximity to Good Hospitals and/or Doctors 11 7.48%
Weather 36 24.49%
Environmental Risks (hurricane, earthquake, tornadoes, flooding, radon) 3 2.04%
Crime Rate 3 2.04%
Demographics 10 6.80%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,232,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The summers will be hotter than I like here, but overall, the weather is great, I'm used to the possible earthquake factor, there is decent healthcare here, crime rate is acceptable, and I don't mind living with a majority of Republicans even though I'm Democrat, since I'm one of those weird Democrats who is okay with people owning guns.
No, the crime rate is not acceptable, Redding has a very high crime rate that is getting worse, not better. You are an active poster on the California forums, and surely are aware of this, many threads on Redding and it's problems. Hope that you are a gun owning Democrat, you need one in your chosen new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,993,124 times
So far in the poll, I'm surprised that financial is in the lead. From what I read of the posters in Retirement, sounds like most are quite well off.

Second, the financial aspect is interesting in that there are few desirable places in the country where one might live on considerably less than what one is living on now, give or take a few hundred dollars a month and the balancing costs such as having to travel to back to the previous location to see family, if one has family left behind.

I'm surprised that the crime factor isn't higher in the poll so far.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM

813 posts, read 1,134,850 times
I chose financial as I am a very early retiree and wanted to be in a country that provided me the most opportunity to grow my assets without those pesky taxes/insurance costs!

Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,965,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
None of these applied to us as we had no desire to move after retirement.
My family is 4,000 miles away, but I seem them for a month every year.
Good medical care is within a reasonable distance.
Weather....well it's Scotland and rainy, so we simply escape to warm countries in the winter.
No crime at all in our immediate area.
None of the environmental disasters in our area.
Many of our neighbours are retired and it's very quiet where we live.
The one disadvantage for me in Scotland is the availability of a certain beverage that has made Scotland world famous. (I know Scotland very well, I was in the Royal Merchant Navy and lived and worked aboard a ship built in Greenock). I fear I would become too fond of the drink, sampling and comparing the various houses and varieties of that glorious amber colored liquid.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,118,568 times
Being closer to my 2 adult kids was an important factor for me.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,232,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So far in the poll, I'm surprised that financial is in the lead. From what I read of the posters in Retirement, sounds like most are quite well off.

Second, the financial aspect is interesting in that there are few desirable places in the country where one might live on considerably less than what one is living on now, give or take a few hundred dollars a month and the balancing costs such as having to travel to back to the previous location to see family, if one has family left behind.

I'm surprised that the crime factor isn't higher in the poll so far.
For a single senior retiring alone on a shoestring, a few hundred a month makes a huge difference. That extra few hundred pays your day to day expenses, food, utilities, gasoline, clothing, recreation, etc.

When researching a place for possible relocation, the crime rate is very important for myself. A few otherwise desirable places have been rejected because of a high crime rate. Suggest obtaining data from as many sources as possible, not all agree with each other. On occasion, a place with high numbers may actually be quite safe due to some irregularity in the data. Places that have a large number of tourists and visitors often fall into this catagory, since the data will reflect crimes commited by and against the visitors while being weighed against the permanent population.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:17 PM

4,156 posts, read 3,076,958 times
I have to choose crime rate. I want to move to a place with fewer people and less snow, but am not willing to compromise on crime. That is why Hays, Kansas is in the lead. In addition to having a low crime rate, it also has a low unemployment rate. This means there are fewer idlers, loafers and ne'er do wells wandering around causing trouble.

I also want a community with a state university and an Arby's, but under 30,000 people. Hays meets all of these criteria.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times
Insofar as the choices go, all of the above and none of the above. If we had to choose one overriding factor it would be the fact that we wished to move to a particular culture which is why we ended up retiring to the MO Aux Arcs. Other factors were the wildlife, summer thunderstorms which I missed, a unique topography; subtle things not available for consideration in the poll.

It comes as no surprise to me that money and weather are the clear winners.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,753,718 times
I didn't answer the poll due to the demands of ...ONE...choice.

I would have picked weather, but then I would have to ask myself why I am living in the Ozarks of Arkansas and not San Diego.( I can't afford the weather San Diego offers )

Old 03-03-2014, 06:01 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,297,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
If you had to pick JUST ONE overriding factor that most influences (or influenced) your choice of where to retire, which of these would it be?

(realizing that usually there are several extremely important factors, in most cases, but in this case it would be the one that would, or did, tip the scales for-or-against a particular location choice)
Doctor, hospital.

Right now I live 40 some mile from a medical center. It might not sound far, but it's a pain.

My mother is 90 and sometimes has to be transported by med ambulance for appointments. It's hard on her, but this is where she grew up and we do it, but after she's gone, I'm moving where it is convenient for me and those that might have to look after me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement