Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My shredded cheese lasts like 2 weeks in the fridge. I can definitely find ways to use it up before that. I like to make cheese quesadillas in the micro and eat with salsa for a quick lunch or snack, adding leftover chicken shreds if I have it. Shredded cheese can be added as a topping for salad, sprinkled on casseroles right before they are done, flatbread pizzas, open faced sandwiches or beef or chicken philly sandwiches under the broiler or toaster oven, sprinkled into potato soup or on top of beans and rice. So many uses for shredded cheese it should never go bad.
It isn't that it spoils. It loses its flavor. Mine does, anyway. Maybe there are better brands that do not. My store sells Bordens and Kraft. I definitely will not buy Kraft. So, it's Borden which is good when first opened but, for some reason, it loses its flavor. It also starts to dry out which should not matter when it's in hot foods where it can melt. But the flavor is gone.

I like to add cheese to my scrambled eggs. Generally I use Hautley's slices but thought to try to use up the grated. It wasn't tasty at all. Same with adding it to soups. Hautley slices add real flavor. Borden's does not. Not after the first serving or two. Of course, what I need is smaller packages but they didn't have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 04:15 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Thanks, but you guys are talkin' to someone who is occasionally to lazy to heat up some Progresso soup, and who eats it out of the can.
On those days I have cereal, or scrambled eggs for lunch or even dinner. I know longer care that what I eat is "appropriate" for that time of day. This morning for breakfast I had leftover red beans with rice and Cajun sausage.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,633 times
While I am not retired I am single and live alone. I tend to be overzealous with food purchasing and trying to eat more fruits and veggies and buy a bunch and then they get soft or mushy and I toss them. I have wondered if I should try a vacuum sealer for these fruits and veggies to help extend the life and save myself some money. Anyone had any luck with vacuum sealing vegetables? I get frustrated with myself for wasting food and money. Need to only buy what I will use and eat.

Charlie.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:24 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
While I am not retired I am single and live alone. I tend to be overzealous with food purchasing and trying to eat more fruits and veggies and buy a bunch and then they get soft or mushy and I toss them. I have wondered if I should try a vacuum sealer for these fruits and veggies to help extend the life and save myself some money. Anyone had any luck with vacuum sealing vegetables? I get frustrated with myself for wasting food and money. Need to only buy what I will use and eat.

Charlie.
We have a vacuum sealer but I don't use it for fresh foods. I use it for meats and sometimes cooked meals that can be reheated. I bought a whole bunch of cereal on sale once and I vacuum sealed a bunch of it. I just don't think it would work for fresh veggies or fruits - someone let me know if I'm wrong. We only buy fresh fruits and veggies that can be consumed in the same week. If I end up buying broccoli or cauliflower that we don't eat, I'll blanch it and freeze it with the sealer, but it loses it's crispness when you reheat it. The key is to only buy what you'll eat within a week or so.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 AM

361 posts, read 737,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What? You have a grocery store that close? Lucky you! Our nearest is almost 20 miles away.
There is a nice supermarket 2 blocks from me.
I'm not retired so I cook for most of the week on Sundays.
Still buy too much, because my imagination exceeds the time/inclination I have to cook.
Vegetables/fruits that are no longer fit to eat get turned into compost.
My dog helps with leftovers when I get tired of stuff.
We cook so differently from how we used to. Almost no beef, very little processed food, less canned food.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I just went through the trouble of brining a large free-range chicken, and roasting it at 220f for 5 hours. Turned out nice and juicy, but now there's a lot of leftover meat ..... for the next coupla days I'll be eating chicken and rice, chicken sandwiches, chicken salad, chicken noodle soup, and plain ol' chicken with a bit of mayo on the side.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:23 PM

784 posts, read 3,121,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

I wish they'd sell "half loaves" of bread. We would never eat an entire loaf. I suppose you could always buy a loaf, just take out what you think you'll need for the next few days, then freeze the rest.
Wholefoods in Houston sells half loaves. I love that. You can also freeze a whole sliced loaf and take out slices as you need them.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:01 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Somebody posted earlier about freezing bread. I came back to ask how to do that because I also have this problem. I buy hot dog buns, hamburger buns, whole grain bread, etc. and then something is not getting used.

For those of you that freeze bread...how do you prevent it from sticking together when frozen?
Frozen sliced bread does stick together.

I'll buy several loafs of sliced whole wheat whenever it's on sale, and immediately put them in the freezer when I get home.

Then whenever I'm running low on bread inside my refrigerator, I'll take out a loaf from the freezer, and transfer it to the refrigerator.

The entire loaf will thaw in one day, and it will stay fresh inside the refrigerator for around a week.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Actually, bread goes stale faster in a fridge. I've seen various stats that say bread goes stale anywhere from three to six times faster when refrigerated.

Bread Goes Stale About Six Times Faster in the Refrigerator than at Room Temperature

Keeping Bread Fresh | Bread.com

How to Store Bread: 5 Steps - wikiHow
My sliced whole wheat bread always lasts for around a week in my refrigerator.

Even when I take a frozen loaf from the freezer, and put it into the refrigerator, it thaws out in a day, and then stays fresh for a another week.

I've been doing this for years, and never have to throw away stale bread.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
My sliced seedy, grainy bread comes frozen from the grocery, and like RD5050, I keep it in the fridge. Sadly, it never lasts long enough to get stale. It's a treat and I eat it within a few days. I don't buy it often.

Sliced white bread is a different animal.

This is an interesting thread..... people and their relationship with food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement