Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What factor MOST influences/influenced your decision of where to retire?
Financial (such as property taxes, income taxes, housing price, cost of living) 56 38.10%
Proximity to Family 28 19.05%
Proximity to Good Hospitals and/or Doctors 11 7.48%
Weather 36 24.49%
Environmental Risks (hurricane, earthquake, tornadoes, flooding, radon) 3 2.04%
Crime Rate 3 2.04%
Demographics 10 6.80%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times

Advertisements

If you had to pick JUST ONE overriding factor that most influences (or influenced) your choice of where to retire, which of these would it be?

(realizing that usually there are several extremely important factors, in most cases, but in this case it would be the one that would, or did, tip the scales for-or-against a particular location choice)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM

134 posts, read 158,435 times
I chose financial. Although the others are extremely important, in my case, I have all of the others already where I am (CA) but I honestly can't afford to retire here.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
This is one of those decisions that I would never let any factor be an overriding factor. I see thinking of any of the several of the items on your list that are critically important as more important than the others as counter-productive to the intent to make a good decision.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:05 AM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This is one of those decisions that I would never let any factor be an overriding factor. I see thinking of any of the several of the items on your list that are critically important as more important than the others as counter-productive to the intent to make a good decision.
But when one gets to the point of narrowing down their choices between places that have essentially the same balance of important positives and negatives (assuming there is no "clear winner", and with the multiplicity of factors that's probably unlikely), there must be SOMETHING that tips the scales in favor of one location versus the other.

In other words: All other things being essentially equal, what factor would make you choose State "A" (or specific part of State A) over State (or specific part of) "B"?

Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM

460 posts, read 988,321 times
None of the above.

When I retired, I just didn't feel like moving. So I didn't.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:14 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Impossible to pick just one.................like the OP demanded.

Mine was weather and financial and those two can't be separated and stand by themselves.

No reason for me to even consider a low COL area if I didn't like the weather there.
No reason for me to even consider a favorable weather location if the COL was high.

Thus, those 2 can never be separated in my decision.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Its not hard to pick on. In almost all regions/states you can find areas of low crime and affordable cost of living. But weather is something you deal with every day and has a huge effect on your hobbies, activities, lifestyle, cost of living, and mental and physical health. Weather is numero uno.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,598 times
I'm single so proximity to family is the most important factor. I'm not going to relocate to a place where I don't know anybody - not that adventuresome or masochistic. Given that I have a large family so a few choices of where to relocate (although most of them live in the same state but it is a very large state), the second most important factor is weather. If I had a partner, weather would be the most important factor.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 03-03-2014 at 12:12 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 11:56 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
But when one gets to the point of narrowing down their choices between places that have essentially the same balance of important positives and negatives (assuming there is no "clear winner", and with the multiplicity of factors that's probably unlikely), there must be SOMETHING that tips the scales in favor of one location versus the other.
No there doesn't.

Beyond that, the chances of the aggregation of a number of factors yields a virtual tie is far smaller than the chances that one factor rationally would be the tie-breaker. A more plausible arrangement would be that a reassessment is warranted, reevaluating all the factors, to see if deeper consideration of all them changes the balance.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
None of the above for me. I moved back to the town where I went to college, which was always my plan. I feel most at home here.

It was a good decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement