Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 PM

262 posts, read 307,751 times

Advertisements

Maybe you could check out Sequim in the supposed banana belt of Washinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Like many here OP you have me scratching my head. Still I understand your points and your dilema. Having lived at Ft Lewis WA for 3 years I know the climate well and the area too. Vancouver is not something I would consider either since it will have the same conditions you have now weather wise. Economially it is more vibrant but you can almost commute there now so why move.

You mentioned Fall River MA, I hope you do not plan to return there to live. FR is know to have a growing drug problem. It has lots of crime and is in the news here often. Even my area is known as the new hub area for heroin in the northeast.

I do not know if you can avoid all the problems by moving. It maybe that the gloominess of WA is wearing on you. The COL might be high as well but there are a number of reasons that brought you there and kept you there. You need to keep those in mind as you weigh moving. Check out areas that have interests for you and DW. Visit them then even stay long term in the area so you can get a feel if you will like all the good and the bad the place has to offer. The grass isn't always greener (pun intended) than you have in lovely wet west Washington. The saying goes People in Seattle don't tan they rust and they mean it. I loved the area and would have moved there but I had family back east.

There have been many threads here as you said that talk about where is the best place. There is no one place for everyone. If there was it would be too crowded for me.

My suggestion is you talk with your wife about her feelings. Make a list of areas that interest you and get her list. Rate them based on research and visit them in tourist mode. Then of the top places spend some time by renting a home or apartment. Go during what you would consider the worse time of the year (winter, summer come to mind). See if you can put up with them over what you already put up with. Do not move just because of taxes or COL. You can always make adjustments to the area you are unless you decided to move to Hawaii. There are so many things that need to be a factor in your decision. Choose the one that hits more of what you want and need and damn the rest.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
BTW, we have lived in: Arizona (Sierra Vista, Prescott), Alabama (Huntsville), RI (Newport/Portsmouth), MA (Fall River), FL (Tallahassee, Key West & St. Augustine), CA (San Luis Obispo, LA, San Diego, Santa Maria, Lompoc, Monterey, SF Bay Area, etc)...that's all, I think. Thank you for your suggestions.
How did you like living in Key West? I used to love visiting until they built up Mallory Square to accomodate all the huge cruise ships that now call there. Now, Duval and the rest of the commercial district is just overrun with cruise ship passengers up to five days a week.

But if you still like the Keys in general and you're a boat, fishing, or watersports enthusiast, I'd consider Islamorada for retirement. You'd also have the VA's Homestead CBOC less than an hour away.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:10 PM

37 posts, read 106,665 times
<<<<<<<<If anyone knows where there are other "ideal" places to live/retire...let me know. I'd appreciate it..as we are still looking. Blaine is ok...but for me and my wife, not too hot, comfortable cool..and more sunshine
(Santa Maria, Lompoc & San Luis Obispo in CA seem to meet this criteria). BTW, we have lived in: Arizona (Sierra Vista, Prescott), Alabama (Huntsville), RI (Newport/Portsmouth), MA (Fall River), FL (Tallahassee, Key West & St. Augustine), CA (San Luis Obispo, LA, San Diego, Santa Maria, Lompoc, Monterey, SF Bay Area, etc)...that's all, I think. Thank you for your suggestions.>>>>>>>>

What did you think of Sierra Vista? My wife and I are thinking of retiring there.

John

Old 03-16-2017, 12:16 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Arrrghhh, another "ideal place to retire" thread. Topic's been beaten to death. Couldn't even get through the original post -- too long. One person's ideal retirement destination is another person's nightmare.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Blaine is a great spot, you might want to 'snowbird' / access some other areas for longer period of time during winter.

AZ and FL are of no interest to me.

SLO is very nice but hard to get to (hub airports are far) and CA will want your taxes if you stay too long.
San Diego has a HERD of people! (as does most of CA)

We might do an 'equity share' with friends in CA so we would have an apartment / living qtr when we get tired of We_tern WA. Took another trip today from PNW to our 'winter home' in the Hill Country of TX. We won't enjoy the frequent flights in another 20 yrs. Neither place is a great 12 month home.

NZ and Australia are pretty great during WA long wet winter. We really loved having huge flowers and LONG days in January! We have some camps / schools we can live at 'Down-under', that is an option. But they don't want USA elderly W/o HC insurance (that is what we are...)

Old 03-16-2017, 01:28 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I have heard people from my age group wanting to retire to a mountain somewhere between lost and found. Well, think about it folks. You are getting older and Hospitals are important at older ages. Grocery and drug stores are almost as important. A good airport at a reasonable distance is also a good thing. It will make it possible for your family to visit without a hassle.
Being isolated isn't a smart way to go when you are getting older.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I have heard people from my age group wanting to retire to a mountain somewhere between lost and found. Well, think about it folks. You are getting older and Hospitals are important at older ages. Grocery and drug stores are almost as important. A good airport at a reasonable distance is also a good thing. It will make it possible for your family to visit without a hassle.
Being isolated isn't a smart way to go when you are getting older.
These are my first thoughts when I read this old thread topic that was bumped. It's nice to live out in the wilderness, but as you get older, you're gonna need to see a doctor more often and common things like buying groceries and getting repair people out to fix things in your dwelling will be something you'll want to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement