Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Nowadays I can't find one either, this was back around 2007. All the ones I've seen on the internet don't give back much at all anymore.
$26000 in my wife's IRA earned 75 cents in a year. (TRP Prime Reserve)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 06:57 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Credit Unions generally have better rates than banks. But "high" is no longer.
Keep up with inflation is no longer. We just lose.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
We need better investing strategies, although I don't trust the market right now and real estate (rentals) is not the cash cow that it's been in past years, for a number of reasons.

Again, more power to those who were well-positioned. I've been studying the successes, although I fully acknowledge that it's a different world, requiring re-thinking traditional ways, like saving large amounts (having a savings account to weather Mr. Murphy's visits is always an excellent idea!).

Investments need to keep up with inflation, which is almost a losing battle right now, and I don't want to drift the thread into politics, so I'll stop here.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:25 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
We need better investing strategies, although I don't trust the market right now and real estate (rentals) is not the cash cow that it's been in past years, for a number of reasons.

Again, more power to those who were well-positioned. I've been studying the successes, although I fully acknowledge that it's a different world, requiring re-thinking traditional ways, like saving large amounts (having a savings account to weather Mr. Murphy's visits is always an excellent idea!).

Investments need to keep up with inflation, which is almost a losing battle right now, and I don't want to drift the thread into politics, so I'll stop here.
The issue isn't investments keeping up with inflation but our ability to adapt our investments to those that keep up with and exceed inflation. Millions or retiree's are doing that. This low interest rate environment isn't something new nor are the alternatives.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Do let on, TuborgP, inquirng minds want to know.

OMG negirl, mom told me last night she's sending me all of the articles she wrote for Facets of Fostoria, the monthly for Fostoria glass collectors.

And then sends me a scathing email asking why I won't move down there this year and live in a rental.........I have twenty one years of crap to get rid of, a handicapped husband, I dunno, mom, it's just so easy.........

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Do let on, TuborgP, inquirng minds want to know.

OMG negirl, mom told me last night she's sending me all of the articles she wrote for Facets of Fostoria, the monthly for Fostoria glass collectors.

And then sends me a scathing email asking why I won't move down there this year and live in a rental.........I have twenty one years of crap to get rid of, a handicapped husband, I dunno, mom, it's just so easy.........
It has been written about over and over. Asset Allocation, increasing risk and building a balanced portfolio of low risk mutual funds. If you want a guarantee that train has long left the station. Might be back but not any time soon. We have to adapt to what works. Research on Fidelity and Vanguard funds and possible newsletters with model income portfolios. I wish high yield CD's were still around but they aren't. A great bull market with a lot of portfolio growth has been here for awhile. That left room for a lot of low risk portfolios to still build excess growth well over inflation. Part of the equation is what each individual considers to be the inflation rate.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM

Yep, Tuborg, that's just what I told my mom about mutual funds.

She pissed off another advisor so her BF got her to open an Ameritrade account. This should be fun......not!

Old 07-02-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:

She pissed off another advisor so her BF got her to open an Ameritrade account. This should be fun......not!
She needs to listen to youuuuuuuuuuuuu. I know it is hard especially with older folks. Hard to beat inflation when fees exceed ROI.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I read a piece the other day and it a FA said they were moving their clients to index funds. WTH? You can actually get people to pay you to tell them what a three/four index portfolio consist of. I bet they were some of the index funds springing up with load fees plus.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM

Ugh, I've had trading accounts for a few years so DH could play the penny stocks. When Dad passed she sent me all of her statements, which I diligently read all of the prospectuses on.

She's no dummy and not feeble. I don't think she's going to liquidate and then reinvest, at least I hope not. I told her to set aside a grand, an amount she was willing to lose, and start researching mutuals.

We shall see.............

Many thanks to you, mathjak, and all of the wise investors out there. I am your student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement