Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,648 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am debating between a Sun, a True or a Schwinn Adult Trike. I am having a tough time making a decision and I am not able to test out any of them, so I have to order it online. I live on a gravel road with some small inclines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:57 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
I don't have the answer, but if you post on the Cycling forum in the Hobbies section, someone might have the info you're looking for. Sorry I can't help.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:59 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
As an avid cyclist I would advise against an adult trike. Two main reasons:

1. A regular bike or recumbent is much (extremely) better on hills and gravel. They are just plain old harder to pedal.

2. Nothing says "I am really old and semi-feeble" better than an adult trike. Right? You asked this question on which forum?

Old 08-03-2014, 03:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I'm very concerned about stability, particularly on hills, curves, and worst of all, a combination of the two.

''All non-tilting trikes have stability issues and great care must be used when riding a non tilting upright trike. The center of gravity is quite high when compared to recumbent trikes. Because of this, non-tilting trikes are more prone to tipping over in corners and on uneven or sloping terrain.''

I don't know if you're able to use a recumbent tricycle, but it would be far safer although probably uncomfortable. See the appended article.

I've appended the Wikipedia article, ''Tricycle''.

You may remember the old three-wheel police motorcycle. Even with 35 mph governors they were dangerous.

You may also wish to consider the quadracycle. People sit in a normal upright position. Small one-person models are available The four wheels provide far more stabilty than any three-wheeled vehicle can. After many disastrous accidents the three-wheeled ATV disappeared, but the four-wheelers are going strong. If you have the room on the paths you ride this would be the best option. Small removable engines were once available for bicycles. They may still be. These would be great for steep hills as well as times when you're just tired. The engines which just spin a wheel against a tire should work just as well on trikes and quads. I don't believe that a quad would be harder to pedal than a trike. If you plan to use your vehicle for errands it would also be better for carrying groceries, etc.

Call the local senior centers in your area and ask if they know someone who has a trike or a quad and might be willing to let you try it. It would be worth a trip to try one before you buy one if you can't locate one locally.

Tricycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quadracycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Zn_MVG5IE

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 08-03-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-03-2014, 11:12 PM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
I'm afraid that a decent adult trike is not cheap. IMO, the best of the lot is made by Lightfoot. They start at about $4200 I think.

The recumbent trikes are stupid hard to get in and out of. Some of them are impossible for me. Several of the ones I test drove steered only with difficulty, requiring enough muscle power that it was distracting from watching the road. Some of those steered better at higher speeds - higher than I wanted to ride at, in fact. There is no way I would ride a recumbent on gravel. Gravel is really bad for your dentures. Or teeth, if you still have all of them. You won't, for long, if you take a tadpole out on a gravel road.

If quadcycles are legal in your state, you might look into a quad cycle. Sadly, they are not street legal in my state.

Some of us no longer have the ability to manage a bicycle. I used to ride 35 to 50 miles a day. I'm pretty sure I count as a (formerly) avid cyclist.

That said, trikes are not nearly as unstable as some cyclists think they are. For one thing, those of us on trikes are not speeding around at 35mph downhill. We are toddling along at 10 mph if we are lucky, or maybe 15 with electric assist. However on gravel I know I wouldn't even get it up to 10 mph even with electric assist because those bits of gravel STING when they hit your legs, LOL!

Stability is affected by the width of the trike; wider stance between wheels helps to improve stability. Stability is compromised when the center of gravity is too high. The center of gravity is too high on the Schwin's for my peace of mind; I don't know that much about the other two because it has been 6 months since I looked at them (and rejected them for one reason or another).

If you want real stability, electric assist, and high visibility, and you don't mind spending as much as you would on a car (a late model used car, anyway) there is always the ELF - a velomobile on a tricycle base. Dual wheel drive - which you want for riding on gravel - is available - I don't remember if it is standard or an option, but it is available. I think its possible to get it on the Lightfoot trikes also as an add-on or option.

As for being "old and semi-feeble", or perceived as such because you're riding an adult trike - get serious. I'm a grown up. "Old" is a matter of debate, but "semi-feeble" is certainly accurate in my case. I should care that you taunt me about it?

Old 05-13-2015, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,274 times
Default Old and feeble, here

I'm late to the party and I'm old and feeble, but I wasn't feeble back before I developed an inner ear disorder that wiped much of my ability to balance myself at all reliably. Did you imagine this was a lifestyle choice?

If I tried riding a bicycle on a street, I'd be old and feeble for a brief time and then I'd be dead. Running, even off road, isn't a good idea (and I the healed ribs to prove it). Swimming is still possible if I keep my head out of the water (which leaves the "Look at the old and feeble geezer" crowd in the pool anxious to inform me that I'd go faster if I just learned to swim with my head in the water. As I'm a reasonably polite person I say "Well, I'm handicapped, and this style of swimming is what works best for me now" instead of "JEEZE! REALLY?? Here I am, 62 years old and able to make it across a pool just fine, and no one has EVER TOLD ME that I'd go faster if I'd swim with my head in the water! Thanks SO MUCH!")

For me, cycling was a huge pleasure, and having it snatched away was brutal. Eventually my son talked me into getting an upright, inexpensive tricycle which has three gears, and it's heavy, so for me it's not a great cycle for hills. (Maybe someday.) I don't move fast and I'm not stylish, but I love being on a cycle again, and for reasons I don't understand I don't get vertigo from it. It's a huge pleasure for me, and I'd hate to see anyone be discouraged from using a trike.

Here's one side effect I didn't expect: if you want to see most of the pedestrians you pass wave and smile, be an old, feeble lady on an upright trike. The general attitude seems to be "Atta girl!" rather than "Look at that hopeless, feeble old geezer [snicker snicker]!" My son, who was a high school student when he started urging me to get the trike, says "I told you so, Mom. People think it's great that you're out getting exercise." Beats the alternative.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:57 AM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
I miss cycling something fierce. But between bad knees and worse shoulders, even if my sense of balance wasn't shot, I doubt I'll ever ride one again. My son was terrified by the thought of me on the roads on any sort of adult trike, even one with electric assist. So I dropped that idea as well - plus honestly the trike would have cost me twice what I paid for a used car.

I haven't got the moolah.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:58 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I LOVE these and am planning on getting one when I move. Wouldn't think about using one in the area I'm in now. I'm not suicidal! I wouldn't use it other than street and you can get regular ones for reasonable prices.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
You could also think of a 4 wheel bike, look at Rhodes Car, looks real stable and I think they offer a 7 speed derailleur.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Worksman has a variety of tricycles that are suitable for a host of uses. With the exceptions of the electrics and vendor trikes the prices seem vey reasonable given the high quality. The website is fascinating. They still make high wheel bicycles as well.

Cargo Bikes, Industrial Bicycles and Industrial Tricycles from Worksman Cycles Factory Direct Store

Here are a variety of 19th century velocipedes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocipede#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement