Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:35 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I had symptoms of extreme pain in my chest and couldn't breathe.
After 5 hours of many tests and blood work they wanted to keep me overnight.

I agreed reluctantly and then was asked the question:

If something happens, do you want to be resuscitated?
I had to think about that for a few minutes before I said 'I guess so'.

How would you answer that question?
I wasn't aware they even asked it.
In this particular case, I think I would ask for a clarification of "something" and for a probability that I might need a DNR? Otherwise, as others have said, "Do you have a Living Will" certainly seems more appropriate.

We have the LW's and other documents, but, I've seen cases in the ministry where families are so distraught that they make emotional decisions, in spite of available documents. To simplify matters, I've included a letter with our LW's, etc. to further clarify when I would want to "pull the plug" or activate a DNR.

A sidelight on LW's is that the perception of "pulling the plug" is based on folks being kept alive via machine. However, some folks are kept alive via drugs, not machines - at which point, the LW or DNR questions seem to take on a different dimension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 03:38 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I think I wrote here once about my experience with DNRs in my town. I called the director of Emergency Mgt Services when I first moved here and he told me that they always err on the side of doing all they can. The laws in my state are ambiguous.

My husband went to the hospital often. The social worker visited every time to talk about end of life decisions. He wouldn't even look at her, to the point where it was almost a joke between us. He was a person who never gave up hope and wanted everything possible done to the end.

As a result, his last hours were torturous and I could do nothing about it.

I don't remember anyone ever asking him the question as posed in the original post.

I have a DNR but I don't put much faith in it. I would rather die at home alone than in the hospital.
I would, too after staying the night last week.
Awful experience.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:02 PM

324 posts, read 294,537 times
I don't believe they would ever ask that to someone my age but if they did the answer would be 'no'.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 AM

199 posts, read 528,578 times
I think there is a big difference between chest pains and unconscious for 10 minuets. Or going to Er with sarcoma, you know it will most likely kill you, and cpr would be rejected by me. But the big question is quality of life. I always say I want to live if I still can have fun otherwise kill me.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:26 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Coincidentally, our local public radio is currently airing a documentary on "vent farms". These are nursing homes where people are on life support - sometimes for decades! It prompted DH and I to have a conversation. So now I know that he considers three months on life support to be reasonable, because once in a while someone regains consciousness. He knows that I don't even want three months on life support - if I'm in that dire of a condition I wouldn't like my life afterwards even if I did regain consciousness.

An Impossible Choice | inewsource

Neither of us is nearly ready for a DNR. When I'm in my late nineties and need someone to help me eat and eliminate, that's about when I'll consider signing a DNR.

BTW, I couple of years ago I woke up at 4 AM with my entire torso in more pain than I have ever had! Since my family on both sides has heart problems, and heart-attack symptoms in women are often not as they are classically described for men, we played it safe. The ER admitted me and the hospital tested me for a bunch of things. It was my GP, a week or so later, who told me it was acid reflux. I hope, lmh, yours turns out to be something equally benign.

Last edited by oddstray; 10-06-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 AM

Mine turned out to be not typical pneumonia.

Only symptoms: intense chest pain and couldn't breathe,
Listening by stethoscope heard nothing, chest X-ray clear.
Found by a contrasted ct scan.

Don't want to repeat that, I'll tell you. BUT it is the least of all the evils.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:52 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I had symptoms of extreme pain in my chest and couldn't breathe.
After 5 hours of many tests and blood work they wanted to keep me overnight.

I agreed reluctantly and then was asked the question:

If something happens, do you want to be resuscitated?
I had to think about that for a few minutes before I said 'I guess so'.

How would you answer that question?
I wasn't aware they even asked it.
Nope. Don't bother with trying to keep me alive if it is my time. I've lived a full life and I'm happy with what I have accomplished.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Given we live in the land of greed, just because you choose DNR doesn't mean the medical staff isn't going to try hard to resuscitate you against your wishes.

I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, and I've seen it with my own eyes, when they take the Crash Cart to someone's room who's not responsive, the person is a DNR, the measures they've taken to keep this person alive!

It happens more often when we have a low headcount in the building, as we don't want to lose a "customer"! The relatives aren't around at this late hour, will they even know?

I find it curious, when I scan the, oftentimes, 100 patients in our facility, the majority are not DNR. But knowing the greed of the owners of this facility, I can see right through their decision-making!

"No, we don't want that person in our facility, he's chosen not to be resuscitated! More financial security with the full-coders!"

Old 10-07-2014, 02:30 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
Everyone dies so live life as best as you can. Also remember a hearse doesn't have a luggage so all your worldly possessions will be left behind. As for the DNR? For me it comes down to who is gonna pay and quality of life. I've seen old age with health issues. Not me.

In my business i stress to people to have their affairs in order so they can live knowing if the time does come be it death or incapacitation they know their wishes are known so they can live life with one less stress.

One more thing. Use an Attorney. Laws change and most if not all of the do it yourself forms suggest you have the documents reviewed by an Attorney. If you make a mistake by doing it yourself it's the people left behind who will have to clean up the mess.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:55 AM

Went to the outpatient entry today and was told we have a new question today'

Have you been to West Africa? I was surprised!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement