Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:03 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The main reason I stopped playing on PCs was (at that time) lack of decent controllers. I hate the mouse keyboard combo.

I always say that if everyone liked the same things life would be boring.
But WHY disable mouse and keyboard.

Enabling this would bring PC users to the community. Especially those that are into FPS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 12:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
But WHY disable mouse and keyboard.

Enabling this would bring PC users to the community. Especially those that are into FPS!
There are controllers available now, but we're into Playstation, so...

Wait. You meant the PS community. Don't know why.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:07 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YonqueD View Post
Neither did Angry Birds or Candy Crush or any of the other plethora of mind numbing garbage that people seem to be so very enamored of. I just don't get it.
On the contrary, gaming keeps people mentally sharp and challenges reflexes, which is one of the reasons I think it's so awesome to see this thread on the Retirement forum. I play hidden object adventure games on the PC. To play them well requires a sharp memory and problem-solving skills. There have also been a number of studies that show doing puzzles and games helps stave off Alzheimers.

In contrast, the most numbing garbage out there is television. Nothing to do but just sit and watch. They say a person's metabolism while watching TV is slower than it is when you're sleeping.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
On the contrary, gaming keeps people mentally sharp and challenges reflexes, which is one of the reasons I think it's so awesome to see this thread on the Retirement forum. I play hidden object adventure games on the PC. To play them well requires a sharp memory and problem-solving skills. There have also been a number of studies that show doing puzzles and games helps stave off Alzheimers.

In contrast, the most numbing garbage out there is television. Nothing to do but just sit and watch. They say a person's metabolism while watching TV is slower than it is when you're sleeping.
Ain't that the truth! Those hidden objects games sound easy until you play one. Then....

I have been very interested in those studies and work crosswords in addition to video games, cards, etc. I lost two brothers to Alzheimer's at age 82 about two years apart. I've got about 6 years to find out if it's genetic as my sister is 76. Scares the Hell out of me.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the response to this thread.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:53 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times
Quote:
I have been very interested in those studies and work crosswords in addition to video games, cards, etc.
I tend to think even racing games, shoot-em-ups like Call of Duty, stuff like that counts for keeping us mentally sharp in our old age, and has the added bonus of working the reflexes. Unless, of course, you like coming in last on the speedway or don't mind getting shot every time you leisurely stroll around a corner in virtual Nazi Germany. LOL

Old 11-09-2014, 09:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YonqueD View Post
No.

I have never seen the attraction of video games. I have to admit that back in the 1990s I tried a Mario game on a Nintendo 64, but it did nothing for me. Neither did Angry Birds or Candy Crush or any of the other plethora of mind numbing garbage that people seem to be so very enamored of. I just don't get it.
Now, now...my wife has become a very avid Candy Crush, Bubble Witch and Jigsaw Puzzle player on her iPad, after going 60 years with no interest at all in video games. She has reconnected with old friends via facebook, and they exchange things (I have no idea what...but things) to continue on playing Candy Crush. It also has led to expanded other conversations for her with her old friends, so the social aspect has been rewarding for her.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:16 PM

Old 11-10-2014, 06:31 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
Quote:
Yes, for sound and picture. You have to connect to the Internet, but that can be wireless. As someone else said the controllers are wireless.
Yes, thanks, that's what I meant, the controllers. Of course the box is connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Now, now...my wife has become a very avid Candy Crush, Bubble Witch and Jigsaw Puzzle player on her iPad, after going 60 years with no interest at all in video games. ...
I admit, I play Candy Crush, Bubble Witch, Pepper Panic, Farm Heroes. All the same type of game and quite addictive and time-wasting. But good for the brain.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
I have a PS3, a Wii, a Wii U, and a 3DS XL. I play games for several hours each day on my 3DS XL, which gets the most use of all of these. All of these video game consoles are mine and used only by me.

I also play games on the iPad, but they are much less complex games. I do a little PC gaming from time to time, as well.

In contrast, I hardly watch TV at all. I'd rather spend my couch potato time doing something in which I am an active participant, rather than an observer.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I have games like sudoku and bookworm on my iPod which I can play wherever.

Games today are like the TV shows of yesterday and the radio of the generation before that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement