Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:48 PM

92 posts, read 122,724 times

Advertisements

Applied this past October. Was diagnosed with multi level degenerative arthritis in the 2 discs in the lower lumbar region of my spine.
My symptoms are, pain in hips, outer thighs going numb, cannot bend my legs from pain coming behind my knee area. This all happens after I'm on my feet for over a half hour. Worsens as I stand longer.
I work retail and there are many days I can barely make it to my car and have to pretty much slide into the seat because bending my legs is so painful.

The disability board set up two doctors appointments for me. So far I've only had my hips and spine x-rayed. I'm hoping they will now x-ray my knee area.

I've known some who have gotten disability benefits but it took them over 2 years. I don't know that I can work 2 more years with this constant pain. Does it always take that long to be granted disability?

Anyone else have these same issues?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
My new neighbor happens to be an attorney that specializes in SSDI cases, assuming that is what you applied for. According to her it almost always goes to the hearing level before being approved. Also depending on your age they may deem you able to work if you can physically do sedentary work. I believe over the age of 55, you only have to show you can not do the work you have been accustomed too as long as you have no transferable skills to do sedentary work.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:18 PM

Default I've tried getting office work

The problem is once they see my resume and figure out my age and with my little experience I get no more call backs from applying for office positions.

Before my current job (retail) I had been out of the work force for 5 years, my husband was disabled and I needed to be home with him.

It's been at least 11 years since I've had a desk job and that was simple clerical stuff. I have no new skills and am so out-dated on computer skills and such that I can't see me getting another office job. I will be 61 in February. I never had any college, only took a few bookkeeping courses years ago, which is the equivalent of being able to balance your check book.

The last 4 years are standing on my feet as a cashier and I'm in pain the whole time even while on pain meds. If I take enough pain meds to get rid of the pain entirely I would be comatose.

There is no way I am going to be able to do this for another 5 years until my retirement age of 66.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie0202 View Post
The problem is once they see my resume and figure out my age and with my little experience I get no more call backs from applying for office positions.

Before my current job (retail) I had been out of the work force for 5 years, my husband was disabled and I needed to be home with him.

It's been at least 11 years since I've had a desk job and that was simple clerical stuff. I have no new skills and am so out-dated on computer skills and such that I can't see me getting another office job. I will be 61 in February. I never had any college, only took a few bookkeeping courses years ago, which is the equivalent of being able to balance your check book.

The last 4 years are standing on my feet as a cashier and I'm in pain the whole time even while on pain meds. If I take enough pain meds to get rid of the pain entirely I would be comatose.

There is no way I am going to be able to do this for another 5 years until my retirement age of 66.

Of course you could get early SS at 62. Not sure how that would play out in the mind of a judge. Did you obtain an attorney? If not do it. You pay nothing unless you win. They get a portion of the first check. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:17 PM

Default I'm waiting until after my tests

After I get my medical tests done I will see what happens.
I am leaning toward not getting any attorney at the moment.
We'll see what happens first.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:51 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Long thread on the issue here. Read it - at least last ten pages.

does anyone know how long ssi disability takes to get an approval ?

Yes, it usually takes two years. 67% are initially denied and need to appeal, often more than once. In the unlikely event you are approved on the first go-round, it will take at least nine months.

A lot depends on your state. Some just refuse b/c it's what they do - hate the "gubmint handouts." Serously. Don't believe it? Read the above thread.

You do need an attorney - b/c, frankly, I don't think you have any idea what you're up against. That said, many attys won't take a SSDI case until you've been denied at least once.

In your case, strongly recommend you see an attorney. Otherwise, for sure,you'll be eligible for early SS long before you see a dime of SSDI, if you ever do.

Good luck.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:33 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
My son was in a motorcycle accident in his late 30's and was approved 5 months after his application was received, no hearing at all. He did not hire an attorney, I helped him with the paperwork. But I have known people who were as disabled as my son, who were told by the judge that: "while you are disabled, you could fold clothes in a department store"

Old 11-16-2014, 12:00 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
The stories run the gamut. You are in CA - a far more liberal state than some. But, then again, it is also the judge in your area. Another judge, another part of the state, your son might have been denied. There are so many variables. We had a former worker in SSDI say approvals after five months were routine. You are the first I've read who has actually experienced that. Best is usually nine months, with 67% being denied the first time (I heard this a C-Span a few months ago) and having to appeal, and waiting on average two years.

Fast approval is not the norm - although I had a friend and son who were both approved without a hassle. This was 15 years ago. In her case, 58 y/o, blind in one eye, a shattered ankle, adult son w/epileptic seizures who actually had a seizure when the doc was examining him. I don't think they waited all that long, either.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,298,150 times
Please, please get an attorney. They do get an amount set by the court as to what they receive. I went for 2 years trying to do it on my own and then got angry and hired an attorney. When I went to the hearing the Judge was so sweet and kind and angry himself that I'd had to deal with this for so long when it was obvious I could hardly walk.

The way I look at it is, right now I had nothing. Giving an attorney a percentage of nothing is still nothing. Which means that in order for the attorney to get any money, he/she has to make sure you do.

Please look into it. It costs you nothing but a phone call and the rewards bring almost immediate relief as the weight is lifted,

Old 11-16-2014, 05:18 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie0202 View Post
You should be able to apply for regular SS at age 62. Less than a year to go. Why bother with the hassle of SSDI? It can't be that much more money. Do you have your 40 quarters in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement