Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 08:15 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times

Advertisements

In the late 60's to the mid 70's, I had a foot in each scene. I was divorced, paying alimony and child support but I also enjoyed a joint and the free love. I was an earner/business person during the day to pay what I owed but I was a hippie at night and on weekends. I kept those two worlds apart and could play either role.

I marched as a Veteren Against the Vietnam War in protest marches but I was one of the clean shaven ones.....LOL

I loved it. The joints and the free love helped me through some tough emotional and financial times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 11:29 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,945 times
Well you know what they say, "If you can remember the '60s you weren't there."

Old 11-28-2014, 01:47 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
The what? Sometimes wish I didn't remember them.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:40 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
Which means what, those that were "There" were so drugged out that the stupid irresponsible things they did cannot be recalled? The fact that the names and blurred faces of those that you had casual sex with are long forgotten, as well as the jails you landed in and the reasons why are things to be proud of? Sorry, but not all, or even most of us, buy it. Nearly half a century later, this era, and the mindset of those that fueled it, are viewed with contempt and revulsion, not admiration by those of us that chose not to join in.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Which means what, those that were "There" were so drugged out that the stupid irresponsible things they did cannot be recalled? The fact that the names and blurred faces of those that you had casual sex with are long forgotten, as well as the jails you landed in and the reasons why are things to be proud of? Sorry, but not all, or even most of us, buy it. Nearly half a century later, this era, and the mindset of those that fueled it, are viewed with contempt and revulsion, not admiration by those of us that chose not to join in.
And now you're retired in Orange County. Outstanding choice for someone with your beliefs. You sound exactly like the the conservative Republicans who populated that corner of America..... in 1967.

(BTW: The loudest of them usually had sons who didn't serve. They knew someone on the Draft Board in Santa Ana and Junior, despite being a high school jock, managed to come up 4-F.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-29-2014 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-29-2014, 11:30 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And now you're retired in Orange County. Outstanding choice for someone with your beliefs. You sound exactly like the the conservative Republicans who populated that corner of America..... in 1967. (BTW: The loudest of them usually had sons who didn't serve. They knew someone on the Draft Board in Santa Ana and Junior, despite being a high school jock, managed to come up 4-F.)
Sorry, but your time and geography are way off. Did not move to OC until 1988. In 1967 was decades away from retirement, and lived in Glendale, spent most of my adult life there. Glendale was also a pretty conservative place at one time, as conservative as the sterotyped Orange County.

Neither myself or any member of my family ever asked for or received any type of draft deferrment or reclassification. Most of the men are veterans, and two younger distant cousins are active members of the Navy. All of us are proud of our military service, and are strongly pro military and pro veteran.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Sorry, but your time and geography are way off. Did not move to OC until 1988. In 1967 was decades away from retirement, and lived in Glendale, spent most of my adult life there. Glendale was also a pretty conservative place at one time, as conservative as the sterotyped Orange County.

Neither myself or any member of my family ever asked for or received any type of draft deferrment or reclassification. Most of the men are veterans, and two younger distant cousins are active members of the Navy. All of us are proud of our military service, and are strongly pro military and pro veteran.
You misunderstood my post. When I read your post I had a flashback to the.... ummm....... enthusiastic conservatives of Orange County in the 1960's. They held the same opinions in 1967 that you hold in 2014.

The loudest and most rabid of those O.C. conservatives (not you - them) liked to bad-mouth the hippies and the peace activists..... while making sure their own sons didn't get drafted. Personally I come from a military family with service extending back to the Revolutionary War, my grandfather was gassed in France in WWI, my father was a D-Day veteran (101st Airborne), I have two brothers who served five tours between them (one Special Forces, one career Navy) and am married to a former U.S. Army grunt who walked point in Vietnam.

Been there, done that, know all about OC conservatives and their mindsets. I hiked through Europe (as a working college student) to find out what was beyond the Orange Curtain with a backpack and an O.C. address on my passport.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-30-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 10:25 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,318,816 times
Quote:
Its this last sentence I disagree with. I'm noticing its becoming common among some political conservatives--as part of a culture war--to badmouth this entire decade. That's the opposite side of the coin from acknowledging that aspects of the sixties like drugs, hippies, treatment of veterans, and indiscriminate sex were bad.

For example, only a real reactionary would try to claim the civil rights laws were not a good thing. Equal rights for minorities and women received legal codification which was something that should have happened decades before.

No one took issues of air and water pollution or environmental degradation seriously before the sixties. That, alone, was an enormously positive thing.

We put a man on the moon and the Surgeon General persuaded millions of people to quit smoking because science was able to link smoking to lung cancer.

There is something wrong with anyone who would find the things I've listed contemptible in any fashion. Those who lived through those events and participated in them can be proud indeed.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:06 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There were many good things about the 1960's, but drugs, hippies, and indiscriminate sex were not among them. Woodstock which occurred in 1970 had all of this on display for the world to see and it was not a pretty picture.

No different than today, all the crap that's happening among the money crooks and politicians....and then there's a good side. Why do folks have to cast an entire era as "all bad"? Kind of shallow-minded.

When I hear people say "I wish I was at Woodstock", I wonder if they have a real clue what went on there.

It was a one-night stand that is being used to characterize an entire decade. In reality, no different than the partytime debauchery in the big money scene today.

I wish when people thought of the sixties, they thought about the things that went right and there were plenty of them. For example:

1. The civil rights laws.

2. A Supreme Court which began to enforce the Bill of Rights rather than simply ignore it.

3. People awakening to issues like environmental degradation and equal rights for women.

4. The idea that it was all right to question authority.

5. Economic growth that made for a much stronger middle class than the one we have today.

6. Knowledge that smoking cigarettes was harmful.

7. Investment in colleges and education.

8. An awareness by ordinary citizens that they had to take an interest in their country's foreign policies.

All of these things count for something.

No. All these things count for a LOT. What kind of "righting" is being done today? All we see is the hate on the classes that have been pushed further into poverty and joblessness by our priorities.

Sadly, there were people who lived through the era who seemed to have done nothing but had sex and "got high".

No different than today.

Thanks ~ some of us so readily forget.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:45 PM

106 posts, read 141,045 times
I was into the music but not the lifestyle and wouldn't knock anyone that was. We all did our thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement