Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,483 times

Advertisements

I saw this article, and, I can relate. Although, my husband and I traveled a great deal, in the latter years, due to his health, we had to curtail our ventures. Now, I travel alone...just isn't the same!

Here's How To Avoid One Of The Most Common Life Regrets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:47 AM

5,217 posts, read 6,150,147 times
Long story short.................about 17 years ago while spending a week in San Francisco we took a day trip to Napa by bus. Now we do not ususually do this as we are like nomads when we travel but this time we flew in and did not bother to rent a car.

The majority of the tourists on the bus that day were in their late 50's to early 70's and we were all getting aquianted during the day.................on the return to the city I believe the days wine began kicking in and a lot of the conversations became somewhat personal in the way where we shared our hometowns, ages, occupations, etc. It was all really genuine and my wife and I had several couples in their late sixties compliment us on our traveling desires and mentioned how the golden years were not that golden as their health and physical abilities were now limiting them in retirement. There were other things said (advice and wisdom based on their years given to us) and at 55 I reflect on that day occasionally and I am grateful for the advantages and opportunitys my wife and I had before the girls were born to travel the US extensively.

It is hard now being a dad so late in life and not have the budget or the great health I had at a younger age but we try take them to the places we have not been. They have been to Niagara Falls, driven up Mt Washington, taken the Staten Island Ferry and took the subway into the city.....they are six so I am hoping they get the wanderlust to travel as we have.

Travel is not for everyone, but for us a small affordable house even though we were both making bank gave us the opportunity to travel extensively....every vacation from work or long weekend was a chance for adventure.

Everyone has their own prioritys, but I am so glad we did what we did. We have so many great memories and no regrets......Well the one time in the 80's when we were killing some time on our way back to the hotel in LA before dusk and I ventured unknowingly into Compton. No GPS back then so I drove towards the planes at LAX taking off in the distance.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:43 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,927,172 times
We have always travelled, being to 45 states and 20 countries. If there was one thing we did right, it was to instill this Love of adventure to our Daughter. Looking forward to the day we take our new Grandson on his forst international trip.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:56 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
We travelled a lot. Went to most of our must see destination.
BH now doesn't walk so good.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:06 AM

498 posts, read 572,147 times
Yes. We travelled within the 48 for 40 years. Took the kids out of school and made each trip an adventure and a "lesson." One math problem for high school kids was to calculate how many toothpicks a redwood tree would make. You get the drift. Now DH has dementia. So glad we hiked, backpacked, canoed, skied, sailed, and toured while we could. No more travel for me for a few years. I do want to see MORE of this country. Maybe one day....

Old 02-16-2015, 10:17 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
We have traveled a fair amount but have slowed the pace as there are only certain places that are worth the effort and funds to visit. Although we are happy with this we do have friends that seem to be on a mission to see every place in the world... seems like work to me.

As usual... to each their own.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,934,268 times
We traveled quite a bit before the birth of our daughter and after she left the house to go to college.

Our regret is not doing much of 'real' family travel with her. Almost all of our family vacation time was to visit grandmas and grandpas.

If we could turn back the clock, we would have tried to reserve some vacation time for just our 'little family' while she was growing up. I don't want to blame one of the grand parents who laid guilt trips on us for not spending enough time with her (in spite of the fact that we spent much all our vacation time visiting them every year!), but want to remind myself not being too needy in our old ages. The young folks have their own life and we have to let them spend time making their own memories.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,856 times
Has anyone here put off travel for retirement and had it work out?.....Encouraging stories welcome

I'm deciding and pondering now -- how I feel about travel now, versus later, in retirement ... I'm 54 and hope to retire no later than 65. I'm really not anxious to spend money that could be saved/invested/put aside for retirement, which can't come soon enough. I see any major money spent now on a trip, as DELAYING my retirement. And I REALLY want to retire.

I did travel a bit in college and grad school...lived abroad, and traveled while over seas, and did some other travel: Russia, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Spain, Jamaica, Israel and several other places, and more a dozen U.S. states.....so it's not like I've never been anywhere.

On one hand: I've never let thoughts of how to pay for it stop me from going anywhere I was "dying" to go (I put Israel on my CC for example.) But now I hem-and-haw, and say I'd like to go somewhere ...... but never pull the trigger and DO it.

So now at 54, I say i really would like to go to Australia/New Zealand, Scandanavia, Alaska, Hawaii, Canada (the short list.) But I'm so obsessed with retirement...and I just can't pull the trigger on spending minimum 3K on a trip when that could go toward my retirement....OR at least mentally help me get through the next 10-years until retirement. For example I am spending $500 on an annual get-away weekend with three college friends. Other than that and family reunions, which usually cost about $750-$1000, depending on where they're held....I just don't want to give up any more money for some trip.....there's no place that's worth spending 3-5K that could go toward retirement...or pay for the next FIVE YEARS of smaller trips.

I sort of feel like. "Yeah I'd LIKE to go to Australia, or Canada or Alaska.....but I'm 54 and haven't been yet...so if I never get there....oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be, much as I would have enjoyed it. I really want to retire, see want I have money and income-wise, and then travel once I know what I'm dealing with. That's what I'm thinking now. I know health issues could interfere with that -- but like I said: oh well....

Old 02-16-2015, 11:53 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,351,014 times
I traveled a lot when I was younger. Now, forget it. As another poster said, it's like work. Even a short trip by air to Vermont not too long ago did it in for me. What a major hassle!! I'd rather drive if I can but long trips to other countries... no more.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Traveling as much as we enjoy in early retirement, (50 - 70% of the time).(bad case of wanderlust in our genes),
Intend to be home more as we age. (Hopefully by choice). I see many elderly struggling along on their 'vacations / travel' I really appreciate their stamina, but hope to be 'done' with 'extensive travel' by then.

There will not be travel regrets, as we have placed a high priority on travel at every available opportunity for 40+ yrs. We are not on a quest to conquer anything.

during decade of age 60, plan to do RTW, and live in Europe / Asia / South America for 6 months each.
Adding additional USA residences for 'RV / Apartment retreats' Fly/drive)

70- age 80. enjoy motorhome / USA National Parks / occasional international trips to places we have friends that host us.

Age 80, Be in a 'final home' (in a destination place) and probably do more 'day trips'.

age 90+ Have a driver take us around the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement