Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:22 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The bucket list is meant to fulfill your dreams. Those dreams that may have started when you first opened the World Book Encyclopedia at age 10 or from movies of far away places with strange sounding names.....Those of us who start at an early age making a wish list, if not on paper then in the mind are more likely to have an actual bucket list. There also is a misnomer out there that the bucket list has anything to do with memories, that would be wrong , we make these lists for one moment , one time that we can say to ourselves, "I have done it ,hooray for ME " it's actually a very personal thing.!

i have never thought a bucket list had anything to do with memories. it seems to be continually about the future. the eternal question being asked is always"What's next?" i do think that making a bucket list might be something that very goal oriented people are more likely to do, rather than those, like myself, whose interests tended more toward internal experiences. among other things, developing some relationships of emotional depth was always important to me, more than travel, competing and winning in races, climbing mountains, etc. i don't think there is anything wrong with wanting those things, but such aspirations are not something to which i can relate. i think a competitive spirit is necessary to be able to enjoy achieving and checking off the boxes. if i compete, it's usually with myself.

catsy girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i have never thought a bucket list had anything to do with memories. it seems to be continually about the future. the eternal question being asked is always"What's next?" i do think that making a bucket list might be something that very goal oriented people are more likely to do, rather than those, like myself, whose interests tended more toward internal experiences. among other things, developing some relationships of emotional depth was always important to me, more than travel, competing and winning in races, climbing mountains, etc. i don't think there is anything wrong with wanting those things, but such aspirations are not something to which i can relate. i think a competitive spirit is necessary to be able to enjoy achieving and checking off the boxes. if i compete, it's usually with myself.

catsy girl
I agree there needs to be some basic wants, desires , and maybe a competitive spirit, that as a rule type A people need to succeed anyway. In my case I developed for example the desire to see everywhere in North America, so I did it. I felt like I was missing something if I had not been someplace. I wanted to experience a feel , a bond even to where that bucket list takes me. That's why I call it a very personal thing.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Yep I don't make list except for groceries. I have sometimes sat and wandered why my life just seems to go in phases. It just seems to have naturally passed from one thing to the next. My taste in life has varied so much with each phase.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Interesting list

The list was pretty well done and I can see that for many people. I believe the list was what I was trying to say in the other thread - if you knew this 10 years ago - or something like that.

I live in an area where it is sunny all year (love that!) and people are very active. I need to be more active since I work all the time, however, just recently, I hear people talking more about their future plans and it makes me think about mine.

I love the stories. I love to hear how others have handled a life situation. We can learn from each other.

What really scares me though is that at 65 - you could have 35 years left. That's a long time. I'm not a good couch potato and I find I get more down on the weekends when I'm not scheduled - I actually like deadlines, I think.

However, I know my thinking may change based on the list. I'm a bit nervous. I come from a family of very social people. I'm the only one in the family who doesn't entertain a lot, who doesn't have tons and tons of friends, the one who has had to work all the time. So, I feel a bit frantic. What if I get to age 70 and the cliques are already formed in the possible future community we may live in? Should I just give up now and go into a condo like our daughter thinks? Is she right?

Example: One of my sisters is a just a lovely person - kind, caring, giving to others, has wonderful children but is dealing with a sick husband. For her birthday, lots of her friends called her and she is having lunches out many days; her children took her shopping, stuff like that. (Maybe I'm just feeling a bit left out like where did the years go - do I still have time to reclaim a social life?)

Or, like the list, will I eventually not care so much? That's what worries me.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:14 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
??
The distribution/location of my weight and hair have changed over the past 3-years (ie; to my waist from my chest and shoulders; and to my ears and back from my head).

Old 01-16-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
The list was pretty well done and I can see that for many people. I believe the list was what I was trying to say in the other thread - if you knew this 10 years ago - or something like that.

I live in an area where it is sunny all year (love that!) and people are very active. I need to be more active since I work all the time, however, just recently, I hear people talking more about their future plans and it makes me think about mine.

I love the stories. I love to hear how others have handled a life situation. We can learn from each other.

What really scares me though is that at 65 - you could have 35 years left. That's a long time. I'm not a good couch potato and I find I get more down on the weekends when I'm not scheduled - I actually like deadlines, I think.

However, I know my thinking may change based on the list. I'm a bit nervous. I come from a family of very social people. I'm the only one in the family who doesn't entertain a lot, who doesn't have tons and tons of friends, the one who has had to work all the time. So, I feel a bit frantic. What if I get to age 70 and the cliques are already formed in the possible future community we may live in? Should I just give up now and go into a condo like our daughter thinks? Is she right?

Example: One of my sisters is a just a lovely person - kind, caring, giving to others, has wonderful children but is dealing with a sick husband. For her birthday, lots of her friends called her and she is having lunches out many days; her children took her shopping, stuff like that. (Maybe I'm just feeling a bit left out like where did the years go - do I still have time to reclaim a social life?)

Or, like the list, will I eventually not care so much? That's what worries me.
Willy Horton once remarked to a reporter from his cell, " Willy , why do you Rob banks" ,,,Willy,; " cause that's where all the money is" . ......now we all are not bank robbers, but the facts remain , you won't find much action sitting at home with all your cats as company.....so, sell that house , find an active condo/ apt complex that is populated with active singles of all ages , move in , trust me your life will change for the better! You go where the action is, you make new friends and experience new and different ways to live your life, it will make you happy, uplifted, and you will forget all about your age....sedentary comes way down the road, when you are drooling in a wheel chair.......and had wished you had lived a little longer as an active social person. Those that stop living life to its fullest, who make excuses for doing anything but sitting sedentary in a rocking chair will never be a winner, everyone wants to be a winner....in life.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:54 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 67 and don't get it. What is the ugly part I'm missing?
I must be missing it too.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I must be missing it too.
Maybe some out there are happy with who and what they.are, maybe at any age. For most of us it's that snow ball headed down hill, faster and faster. If anything women should notice it more than men, cause a lot of it is about looks" . In general somewhere around 55-65 our bodies start to change big time, and it is these facts every time we look in a mirror , which for most of us can be a little depressing........then there is the health issues, that's another altogether. For me it started at 60. The last time I saw such a change in life was at 30, so...I guess maybe every 30 years ?

Old 01-17-2015, 11:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'm 67 and don't get it. What is the ugly part I'm missing?
For many their health starts going downhill.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:01 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Hmmmm. I'm 60. The flatlining of hormones has not yet happened. I'm still producing - and most of us do - via adrenals.

I take no pills other than sinus aids when the air gets crappy around here.

Yes, I am a three times a week gymrat and my golden retriever is my personal trainer.

But I've learned that arthritis is less significant the more you exercise. So I do.

Yes, we are all different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement