Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:24 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,457,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
interesting about the issues getting a loan in retirement. did assets in everyones case easily exceed the loan amounts?
My sister has 1.5 mil in assets not counting the house. She wanted to refinance a HELOC whose draw period is up next year.

She hasn't applied to anyone yet, but her friend who just retired from 20 years as a mortgage broker told her it would likely be impossible as she has no income.

She's somewhat afraid to discuss with the holder of the HELOC, worried they might call the mortgage if they realize this.

We're still working on this, but I haven't been able to figure it out other than give her the mortgage myself. And, we are only talking $50,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:30 PM

5,642 posts, read 24,978,859 times
Almost all loans are structured to be sold so you have to hit all the boxes to qualify (they really don't do underwriting like in the past). Proof that you have set up regular payments from your retirement account will meet the income requirement. We were refused a mortgage as I moved funds when I felt it was required but as soon as I setup payment initiated by the brokerage we qualified without problem (filled in a different box).

Old 01-23-2015, 01:32 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,929,742 times
Wouldn't it be smart to have all this in play then before you retire? It seems fairly doable to play the game at 63 and retire at 65, for instance.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Almost all loans are structured to be sold so you have to hit all the boxes to qualify (they really don't do underwriting like in the past). Proof that you have set up regular payments from your retirement account will meet the income requirement. We were refused a mortgage as I moved funds when I felt it was required but as soon as I setup payment initiated by the brokerage we qualified without problem (filled in a different box).
I am assuming though that you have to set up payments to meet their debt to income ratios whether you need that amount or not. Not just the amount needed for monthly payments on the mortgage correct?

Old 01-23-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Wouldn't it be smart to have all this in play then before you retire? It seems fairly doable to play the game at 63 and retire at 65, for instance.
That's what we did, bought the second house before we retired. But, there is a lot of expense and hassle carrying/maintaining two homes(especially if they are in different states) if you cant time everything to close right before you are ready to retire.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:45 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,437,002 times
Quote:
interesting about the issues getting a loan in retirement. did assets in everyones case easily exceed the loan amounts?
Not about a home mortgage but we discovered this was true on a car loan. Due to circumstances we needed to be a cosign on our DIL car loan. They can only have one name as cosign and despite our assets, my DH could not be it since he doesn't have an income, hasn't started drawing SS. I ended up as the cosign a as I have the pension income. Had never realized it before.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,259,738 times
Smile Yes, there are asset based programs

Quote:
wow interesting they made you start ss. if we buy a co-op i was undecided about whether to take a mortgage or pay cash but i wasn't taking ss yet.

i know they gave my son a mortgage when he was out of work because he had alot of assets since he was a partner in the same business we were.

hiopefully they will loan us on just assets if i go that route.
I'm a mortgage broker in Florida and there are asset based programs.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:46 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,620,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
My sister has 1.5 mil in assets not counting the house. She wanted to refinance a HELOC whose draw period is up next year.

She hasn't applied to anyone yet, but her friend who just retired from 20 years as a mortgage broker told her it would likely be impossible as she has no income.

She's somewhat afraid to discuss with the holder of the HELOC, worried they might call the mortgage if they realize this.

We're still working on this, but I haven't been able to figure it out other than give her the mortgage myself. And, we are only talking $50,000.
At least she can afford to just pay it off if need be...

Old 01-23-2015, 05:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,319,380 times
I don't understand why you would want a mortgage if you can pay cash. You will pay way more in interest than you will be able to deduct from your income taxes. It is really better to pay cash.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 PM

106,879 posts, read 109,133,761 times
many can invest the money at 2x mortgages today. in fact given some time you will see cd's earning 1 to 2x the mortgage rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement