Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:20 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times

Advertisements

This topic came up in my recent post and made me curious how many over 60 here still carry life insurance policies? Ours recently lapsed and now I am having second thoughts about renewing it since to do so does not require EOI if done within the next month. IF something happened to either of us, the one surviving could get by on current assets but a small value policy would certainly help. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:37 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
This topic came up in my recent post and made me curious how many over 60 here still carry life insurance policies? Ours recently lapsed and now I am having second thoughts about renewing it since to do so does not require EOI if done within the next month. IF something happened to either of us, the one surviving could get by on current assets but a small value policy would certainly help. Thoughts?
As all things, depends on your situation. For us I took out life insurance at 60 because I was the one with a pension, not my DH. We weighed the options of reducing my pension and taking survivors benefits and the difference was such the life insurance annual premium was less than I was losing if I took survivor benefits.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:12 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
By the time I'm 60 the goal is to have been mortgage free for a few years. Assuming one has and can maintain an emergency fund, in addition to an allocated portfolio, life insurance may have a very low ROI. Once one reaches a certain point, so long as the death expenses are already covered by an emergency fund / liquid assets, then what point is there of having life insurance?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:28 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,486 times
We have life insurance on my husband. Having been widowed once already, I am a strong advocate of it. It isn't just a matter of having a mortgage or not. It is a matter of losing your spouse's income and being in a situation where expenses do not drop that much or actually increase. People don't realize that housing costs won't decrease that much, income taxes may actually increase when filing single, about the only real expense that will decrease is food. That could be offset by the people you have to hire to get things done that your spouse used to do or hiring help when you are ill and need help. Also, funerals and nursing home care can be very expensive.

I will repeat what I tell people all the time. Insurance is for economic protection. There is no ROI on insurance. When you buy homeowners insurance you don't want an ROI because that would mean your house was destroyed. When you buy auto insurance you don't want an ROI because that means your car was destroyed. Insurance is making sure you have the money you need at a time of devastation in your life.... much better to have it and never need it.

If you want an ROI get an investment.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:50 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Oh, if the VP in charge of spending predeceases me, the cost of living will definitely go down. So I do not have any insurance on her.

But my work as part-time caregiver to her would be expensive to replace, so I do carry life insurance on me. Everyone needs to look at their own situation.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
You will be rejected if you don't pass the health Q and exam. In our case, DH's 30-yr term policy is up in 2017. Since he's in perfect health (and was found to be so in the exam) and will likely outlive me, we were going to drop his policy and get another one for far less benefit and thus far less annual premium, for 10 or 15 yrs. Surprise, he was rejected twice because he does not see a doctor regularly, by choice.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:58 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Here is what I did and my thinking behind it.

I'm 66 and decided to purchase a whole life policy just last December through a fraternal organization, that has been around for more than 125 years, I am a member of.

If I had more money saved I wouldn't have bought and to make up for my past sin of not saving as much as I should have, along with a lot of other things, I decided to work to age 70 and then draw social security benefits. The difference between working to 66 and 70 is $800/month so I am banking on that four years, a little over 3 now, making up some sin.

If something happened to me now my wife would receive my full benefit of around $2,280 when she hits her full retirement age next year. That, along with a small state pension, a pension that will WEP savage her ss benefit, would give her around $2,500/month left over after she pays medicare and her medicare supplement. To me this isn't enough... what if I have a heart attack tonight?

So I purchased two policies; a term and whole life. It's costing me a lot of money but it allows me to sleep at night too.

I ended up selecting the $50,000 whole life and my premium is $280/month.

The organization has been in business for 125 years and all during that time they have never missed paying the non-guaranteed value even 80 years ago in the midst of the great depression.

$280/month for 10 years = $33,600 in premiums but in 10 years the guaranteed cash value is $14,555 and the non-guaranteed cash value is $17,883.

Using the guaranteed cash value to offset my premium payments I end up with an actual cost of $159/month which isn't bad for a 66 year old man. If I use the non-guaranteed cash value my actual cost is would end up being $131 which is a pretty good rate.

If I keep it for 15 years the non-guaranteed value is $33,478 which lowers my actual premium cost to $94 for the protection during that time.

Ok, to everyone who listens to Dave Ramsey, I know whole life is not any kind of great investment, in fact from a purely financial standpoint it stinks, but I wanted some protection for the RIGHT HERE AND RIGHT NOW. I think about what would happen to my wife is anything happens to me over the next 4 years and I am unable to work to provide that additional $800/month in monthly benefits?

I can purchase the insurance right now but at age 66 there is NO guarantee I can purchase a policy next year should I feel I need it.

I purchased some additional term as well only because what term policy I currently have expires in 2 years and 3 months and I can purchase it right now.

I feel real good, if something did happen to me tonight my wife would be very, very well taken care of in a financial sense.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Plan A...
I will keep 'term' to cover any debt / loss of income.

Most of debt is on income props, but it can take a long time to settle an estate and maybe longer to liquidate RE assets.

The Term policy buys some time to accomplish that.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:19 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Plan A...
I will keep 'term' to cover any debt / loss of income.

Most of debt is on income props, but it can take a long time to settle and estate and maybe longer to liquidate RE assets.

The Term policy buys some time to accomplish that.
Kind of how I view it.

If I was certain I would be able to work to 70 I wouldn't have insurance but the insurance I have insures her the additional $800/month for the rest of her life should something happen to me tomorrow.

In two years a rather large chunk of term insurance will evaporate but if I can work two more years she'll be more than half way to the additional $800 so all I need is enough to insure $400/month for the rest of her life.

At 70 I will feel I will have met my obligations at which time I will most likely drop the term insurance and most likely cut my whole life by half because we won't need it other than to take care of my funeral expenses.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
you only buy insurance to hedge risk. The risk heer is when the insured is gone ;the consequences to the survivor. Very individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement