Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:04 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How does this work? You get your eye doctor to do the exam, and then how do you get the prescription to zenni? Does the cost of the prescription include new frames, or can you send them your current frames? With prescription, frames and shipping, about what do you pay per pair?
I suggest you to go to the site and poke around a bit for information. The prices are for both the glasses and the frames.

The cheapest price is $6.95 for single vision with a number of simple frames to choose from. More stylish, fashionable or in vogue frames are more expensive. You start with the basic price and add whatever features that you want (bifocal, progressive, prism correction, tinting, photochromic etc). The most expensive pair that we have paid (progressive glasses) cost about $30. Shipping cost is $4.95 per order regardless of the number of pairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 06:59 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Our kids use Zenni all the time and LOVE it, but I was warned that if you need bi/tri focals it is probably not the place to use. It appears that when you need more than single vision correction, the "lines" for each required change will have to be aligned on your pupil according to the lenses/frame you are getting. Trying to accurately get the line changes on a website is near impossible, and since you can not put on the frames to have the measurement as to where the transition takes place, I was told it was a crap shoot. I honestly think the majority of the complaints are not from single vision correction customers, but from us older folks with more corrective needs not getting that transition spot accurate.

Once they Dr doing my exam got the Rx wrong, and I felt dizzy/nauseated for 2 weeks. Thought initially it was the change in the Rx, but when it did not get better, went to the Dr, who corrected the Rx, and then I took it back to Costco, and they changed out NO CHARGE!!!! we buy all our glasses and contacts thru Costco! The fact that they will correct an Rx (and that was not their fault) proves their customer service to us! Besides, I have found their prices beat everyone else I have tried.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:11 PM

Paka,
We have had many pairs of bifocal and one pair of trifocal from Zenni without any problems. The glasses are so cheap so it is worth to try to order a pair to check out.
We don't have Costco in our area but I have checked prices at BJ's wholesale, Sam's club and Walmart but none could beat the price of Zenni.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:18 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I can't get mine from Zenni. It's something to do with my prescription, maybe the astigmatism. It works for a lot of people though.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't get mine from Zenni. It's something to do with my prescription, maybe the astigmatism. It works for a lot of people though.
I have astigmatism too, so maybe that is why it was recommended not to get them there....

I WISH I could order from them.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Paka,
We have had many pairs of bifocal and one pair of trifocal from Zenni without any problems. The glasses are so cheap so it is worth to try to order a pair to check out.
We don't have Costco in our area but I have checked prices at BJ's wholesale, Sam's club and Walmart but none could beat the price of Zenni.
How did you determine the transition line against your pupil??? Just wondering if it would even be an option to try???

Old 03-13-2015, 08:26 PM

We never need to specify the transition line but always make sure to get glasses on the bigger size so that there are more vertical working distance for each area.

We used to wear glasses with progressive lenses but as the prescriptions get stronger, the peripheral vision areas seemed to get smaller. This is not safe for flying where the pilot has to make frequent horizontal scan for traffic. The plane which we built has a nifty glass panel with traffic detection and alert so it is probably quite safe for us to wear progressive glasses but we have gotten used to the bifocals.

If you are concerned about bifocal with correct division line etc, you may want to try progressive lenses. It takes a day or two to get used to them but they are quite nice especially if one starts to need trifocal glasses.

Old 03-14-2015, 06:30 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
Dh needs new glasses and I am trying to bribe him into going to the glasses place by telling him that *GASP* I will get my eye exam and contacts.

He hates all of the dollar store reading glasses I hace all over the place, especially when I have to put on two pair to see really small print.

The last time I saw an eye doc was when I was 16...........

Old 03-14-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I have astigmatism too, so maybe that is why it was recommended not to get them there....

I WISH I could order from them.
My husband had astigmatism (before his cataract surgery) but had no problems filling his prescriptions with Zenni.

I just did a quick search on the web and seen reports of people with severe astigmatism but got Zenni glasses fine.

If for whatever reason, you could not fill out your prescription with Zenni (like our case of not being to get prism with bifocals), try eyebuydirect.

Zenni customer service is very good. When my husband's cataract condition got worse resulting in a huge difference between two eyes, they contacted us to see if we had somehow misfilled the prescription information. They warned us that one lens would be much thicker than the other and if it was OK. We opted to go with lenses with higher index to solve the problem.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:17 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Clothes from good will.
Books from the library.
No ****ing cable TV.
No land line phone. I swear to God you don't actually need it. My unlimited minutes, data, text, pictures, etc. plan costs me $25/month.

Don't rent, for heavens sake, own your property and don't move.
Before you buy that house, figure out the total cost of living in each potential retirement destination.
Live in an area with a very reasonable cost of living. Some of those areas are wonderful (IE Colorado Springs).
Drive an older car.
Base car insurance on your actual driving ability. If you can drive fairly well and drive an older car, your car insurance should be fairly reasonable. You don't need zero deductible. It isn't worth the headache of filing a claim for less than a grand anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement