Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 PM

105 posts, read 227,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so you could have continued to work if you didn't lose your job despite health issues ? you rather have tax payers support you instead of working even if it was at something else ?

doesn't sound like a true disability case. it sounds more like a disability case by convenience .
Moderator cut: personal attacks I could have gone on permanent disability 30 years ago but didn't because I could avoid it and wanted to avoid it. I also put more than triple into the system that I am taking out in disability payments alone. I am a tax payer for the past 48 years of employment in addition to the current property and sales and income and car registration and income tax on IRA withdrawals I still pay. Moderator cut: personal attacks

Last edited by Marka; 04-22-2015 at 02:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:45 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
hey you are the one who posted you were able to work but got laid off so you went on disability because you didn't want to start over . if the heart issue prevented you from working you wouldn't have been working up to that point . if you can work than you could work.

it isn't me who is an ass. at least if you were able to work at your old job but went the disability route when you got laid off keep it under your hat and don't brag how good life is on a public forum and then state you did it because you didn't want to start over again.. ( all your own words )

Quote:
Originally Posted by sownman View Post
I lost a 37 year career in May 2014 when I was 64 and 10 months short of getting max pension benefits. Company went bankrupt. I decided I had no interest in starting over again at my age so I went on state disability (due to a long term heart condition) and some spending of savings. That disability runs out May 2015 and in June 2015 I start SS. In July 2015 I start pension, at the same benefit level as I would have gotten having worked those extra 10 months. Life is good.

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-21-2015 at 02:14 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:46 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
some folks don't get it , disability is for those who truly can't work , not those who don't feel like working at their convenience because they can find a reason.. we all pay in to the system for a lifetime but that does not mean we deserve to take money out just because . if you can't work you can't work, PERIOD and it isn't a choice of convenience on your time table ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 04-21-2015 at 02:16 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:15 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
some folks don't get it , disability is for those who truly can't work , not those who don't feel like working at their convenience because they can find a reason.. we all pay in to the system for a lifetime but that does not mean we deserve to take money out just because . if you can't work you can't work, PERIOD and it isn't a choice of convenience on your time table ..
Nonsense, PERIOD.

The poster was 64 years old with a cardiac condition severe enough that he qualified for disability. By the time he started over and became competent in a new job, he would be well past retirement age. Get over it.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:44 AM

519 posts, read 582,362 times
While I have no experience with disability (thank goodness) I was under the impression that qualifying for SSI disability (don't know if different for state programs) that it was far from a walk in the park to be approved.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
Start your own business.
That's what I did.

Only I ended my career voluntarily.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:17 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
I am in this boat at the moment. I am 57 soon to be 58 and the army has told me that my service will no longer be needed. Yes I am army national guard and that means my weekends are soon going to be my own. It also means since I am full time dual status technician my job also goes away. While I have no recourse to appeal the decision I am just a tad too young to be fully retired. Finding a new job at 58 is daunting to me. I have not had to look for work in so long that I am a little worried. I know there are a lot of employers out there hiring vets and I am greatful for that but there are not that many looking for someone my age no matter what the field. I have my name on a few federal jobs but they are slow in hiring and sometimes even after posting a position the job may not even be filled. Well we will see what the future brings.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:55 AM

238 posts, read 617,099 times
Golfingduo - check with some of the local mega corps. I know here, local larger employers are giving vets preferential treatment. I think it was one of the first questions that a headhunter had asked DH. Better yet, contact a couple of headhunters, let them earn some money on your behalf. I hear LinkedIn also should be an option - let hiring managers/companies "find" you.

Last edited by margarets1; 04-23-2015 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Added more info.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:18 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margarets1 View Post
Golfingduo - check with some of the local mega corps. I know here, local larger employers are giving vets preferential treatment. I think it was one of the first questions that a headhunter had asked DH. Better yet, contact a couple of headhunters, let them earn some money on your behalf. I hear LinkedIn also should be an option - let hiring managers/companies "find" you.

I have a linked in account that I dont use. I am not really sure I want to work for a mega corp either. I have a few feelers out in fed jobs but they take time to resolve. If nothing changes between now and the end of September I collect retirement and leave pay that will tie me over to the beinning of the year. I can also collect unemployment and I have options to work part time since I will already be able to collect on FERs and I am eligible to tap into my TSP as well so there are options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement