Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times

Advertisements

+++1 yikes good to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The flip side is true as well - many people who did work very hard don't have much in the way of pension, either. One of the companies I worked for got raided as part of a buyout - no pension for the 10 years I worked there. So, sure, you did work hard to get that pension, but don't forget that there are many people who worked just as hard and don't have that fallback.
I've never forgotten that and have always thought it was/is criminal. I truly feel sorry for those so negatively impacted. By the same token I've always considered my wife and I fortunate, not lucky, to have the pensions and benefits we do. That's why I take exception to idiotic blathering about gravy trains and bitterness. In fact, if we have gravy train pensions and benefits, why would we be in the least bit bitter? Not just ignorant and ridiculous but non sequitur as well.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
yeah we all know how hard federal and state workers work. give me a break.
More pension envy no doubt. Now run along!

Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 AM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
First work on your expectations. Totally drop the concept of similar standards. Now move on to real. Health care is a must issue. Move to Costa Rica and obtain citizenship and purchase the national health care program. Obtain an apartment that is average NOT by USA standards but by the standards of the locals. Learn the language. Shop and live like the locals. This same concept also works in other areas of the world. The key is to totally discard the mindset and embrace the locals. I considered Costa Rica because of the health care availability in the larger city areas.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:43 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Just to add my few cents----

there's a big difference between traveling to another country and living there. also, a big difference in what you thought was great in your 20's, you wouldn't be so happy with in your 60's.

I blithely traveled all over Latin America, Europe, in my early 20's. I was young, healthy, and stuff didn't bother me then but it would be intolerable now. Back then, stuff like humidity, high altitudes, lack of climate control--AC, heat--unfamiliar foods, none of that even registered, let alone became a negative. Now, well, I'm older, with a plethora of health problems. I used to travel with just one small pack/suitcase, now I need that just for my pills This old gal has all the usual "old people" stuff, arthritis, diabetes, high blood pressure, stomach problems----all under good control, but still, must manage them. Its distressing to have to travel with blood glucose monitors, blood pressure monitors, pills, Enbrel syringes, and truly, that does describe many my age.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:44 AM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
More pension envy no doubt. Now run along!
Cute....

Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
First work on your expectations. Totally drop the concept of similar standards. Now move on to real. Health care is a must issue. Move to Costa Rica and obtain citizenship and purchase the national health care program. Obtain an apartment that is average NOT by USA standards but by the standards of the locals. Learn the language. Shop and live like the locals. This same concept also works in other areas of the world. The key is to totally discard the mindset and embrace the locals. I considered Costa Rica because of the health care availability in the larger city areas.
Just seems to me unless you want the "adventure" it's a lot of work to move to a foreign country for two years just to save money and then move back to the US. If I wanted the "adventure" I'd just take a couple of one month trips during those two years or whatever and just find a cheap place in the US to live on for 2k a month. It might be difficult in the urban areas, but there's thousands of other locales in which you can do that. I mean, you aren't gonna live high on the hog anywhere for 2k, but some places will be more survivable than others, for sure.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:57 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
An IRA or any other retirement plan is a crock compared to a pension.
Lets see, when is the last time you heard of someones Roth Ira, or 401K being cut? Or ESOP shares being taken away? Obviously you like opinions masked to look like facts.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I really can not say any place I have been that is cheaper and allow a better financially cheaper retirement is on par with US or even western lifestyles. Many have some areas but once you get out of them things change dramatically. Guaranteed pension are just hard in this changing economic environment where those who have best seem to be the most threatened as to surviving. That is why if GM and Chrysler has gone bankrupt under normal terms the auto workers pensions wouldn't have been worth much.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Keep in mind should you choose to live in a foreign country you do not have the same rights as you do in the US. Also, you still are required to pay US income tax as an American citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement