Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:18 AM

708 posts, read 721,441 times

Advertisements

He is working to obtain market share in the very conservative base which maybe his undoing. Republicans candidates to reach more towards center to win the nomination. I hope one of them understand that so we can choice of candidates from both Republicans and Democrats that can stop the polarization of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 11:10 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Piratize is more like what would happen. The savvy investors could do well at the expense of others. That is the way the market works. And then we would get a different program to support the people who lost too much.

^^^^^^
This here

Old 07-01-2015, 11:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
He is working to obtain market share in the very conservative base which maybe his undoing. Republicans candidates to reach more towards center to win the nomination. I hope one of them understand that so we can choice of candidates from both Republicans and Democrats that can stop the polarization of America.
I think the problem is that we have just the two parties for all practical purposes and that we have to pick between their platforms like a "no substitution" menu. I really don't think there is much support at all for the GOP economic policies if they were presented to the public unbundled from everything else. And IF (very big IF) there was true transparency. I think I am a pretty well informed liberal, but that means I do tend to get my information from others that are also liberals and often the data I see is slanted toward supporting liberal policies. The same is true for the conservatives. I have no clue how we ever fix that. We are a Republic and our representatives should be representing their constituents not their party or their financial backers.
I am really concerned about the state of the government right now. It is almost an oligarchy IMO but the younger generations are not on board with the people who almost control everything, at least not in big numbers. I hope the wealthy conservatives don't try anything too desperate when things begin to change. I don't think they will as I don't believe there is a true conspiracy. I do think there are a lot of like minded wealthy individuals driven by greed to control the economy.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:27 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
How is Jeb so bad at running for president? The nomination is just waiting for him but he seems hellbent on throwing it away. Dubya was an absolute moron and he ran a hell of a campaign. Jeb is supposed to be the smart one and he can't roll out of bed in the morning without saying something stupid.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:59 PM

890 posts, read 883,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
That is one way, but that is the same as raising taxes on the rich and we know how that discussion goes...
Raising the minimum wage has never been shown to cause inflation. The social structure we live in, is set up to flow money to the .1%. This is an arbitrary structure. We should change it to flow more money to the masses. Then we have the robber barons, when we ask why they are robbing the bank, they say we are "envious".

Old 07-01-2015, 04:37 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Interesting: Greenspan: Social Security Trust Fund 'Nonsense' and 'Meaningless'

Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Just mention touching SS and 90% of Americans over 55 will NOT vote for you - that would be political suicide.

I'm one of those people. I've had enough Bushes for a lifetime or two.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Raising the minimum wage has never been shown to cause inflation. The social structure we live in, is set up to flow money to the .1%. This is an arbitrary structure. We should change it to flow more money to the masses. Then we have the robber barons, when we ask why they are robbing the bank, they say we are "envious".
If you index the minimum wage to inflation, the inflation-adjusted minimum wage in 1968 was $10.25 in 2015 dollars. I don't think the world ended in 1968 when that was the minimum wage.

I think $10.25 is about right as a national minimum wage. It needs some regional adjustments upwards since $10.25 in Little Rock doesn't spend like $10.25 in NYC or San Francisco. The fair thing to do is put it at 1968 levels and index it to inflation forever to get the politics out of compensating the working class. I'd be fine with having a somewhat lower entry level or internship minimum wage that applies to teens and to the first year when someone enters/re-enters the workforce. I'd also be fine with a well-enforced temporary work visa program where non-citizens get paid at a lower tier and do not have Social Security/Medicare payroll taxes pulled out. Somebody has to pick the lettuce.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:50 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you index the minimum wage to inflation, the inflation-adjusted minimum wage in 1968 was $10.25 in 2015 dollars. I don't think the world ended in 1968 when that was the minimum wage.

I think $10.25 is about right as a national minimum wage. It needs some regional adjustments upwards since $10.25 in Little Rock doesn't spend like $10.25 in NYC or San Francisco. The fair thing to do is put it at 1968 levels and index it to inflation forever to get the politics out of compensating the working class. I'd be fine with having a somewhat lower entry level or internship minimum wage that applies to teens and to the first year when someone enters/re-enters the workforce. I'd also be fine with a well-enforced temporary work visa program where non-citizens get paid at a lower tier and do not have Social Security/Medicare payroll taxes pulled out. Somebody has to pick the lettuce.
I was nodding along until you got to the end. I don't think we as a society should ask that any job be done unless the worker will be adequately compensated. By that I mean able to support themselves and a dependent (assuming continuing the species is a goal) in a reasonable manner and even being able to afford occasional recreation.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I was nodding along until you got to the end. I don't think we as a society should ask that any job be done unless the worker will be adequately compensated. By that I mean able to support themselves and a dependent (assuming continuing the species is a goal) in a reasonable manner and even being able to afford occasional recreation.
That's vague enough to be totally meaningless. We could have a years-long thread with thousands of posts discussing what constitutes "in a reasonable manner". Care to start with a couple of paragraphs?

Also, there's a whole separate area of discussion surrounding "assuming continuing the species is a goal". Personally, I want to see our species continue, and I believe that is hard-wired into most of us. However, at the present time the real issue is how to correct the severe overpopulation of our planet. Ever try to visit the Grand Canyon lately? It's almost impossible, even in the "off" season. That was true over 20 years ago, the last time I was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement