Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 06:05 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
WHAT???????
I'm not sure why you're acting so shocked - the title of the thread together with the contents of the first post makes it clear that the communities in question aren't senior apartments, but age-restricted single family house or condo developments of the type Del Webb (to name just one company) builds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm not sure why you're acting so shocked - the title of the thread together with the contents of the first post makes it clear that the communities in question aren't senior apartments, but age-restricted single family house or condo developments of the type Del Webb (to name just one company) builds.
Thank you so much for your clarification. I just wonder why it took so long for it to be discovered. Hmmm. Good thing you came along and found it.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Again, we are not talking about senior income based housing. We are talking about pets in 55+ Active Adult Communities. Places with tennis courts, pools, and golf courses.
But still try before you buy. If your used to being able to do what you like with your yard, have pets or not, paint you walls what you want, etc you may find it is going to be someplace you don't want to be, regardless of all the extras. Don't just assume.

I lived in one place with a great pool, a lake with birds, and a nice clubhouse. My son planted some seeds in the small backyard and was very proud of his flowers. They came in and tore them out. They weren't on the list of 'approved'. Started hating the place and wanting to move after that. The apartment was handy but I would have gone bonkers staying there much longer.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But still try before you buy. If your used to being able to do what you like with your yard, have pets or not, paint you walls what you want, etc you may find it is going to be someplace you don't want to be, regardless of all the extras. Don't just assume.
And that is excellent advice. Find out the community regulations and ask yourself BEFORE you move in if you're sure you can abide by them Don't expect the community to change to accommodate you, as it probably won't.

Back to the OP's original question: I think it's an interesting one, given all the other amenities these communities usually offer. I can only assume the demand isn't there - yet. But who knows if that will change? When these 55+ communities started out, most of them had golf courses because of course all active seniors wanted to play golf, right? But over time developers discovered that many senors do NOT enjoy golf and were deliberately avoiding those communities that had golf courses because they didn't want to pay for the upkeep of an expensive amenity they were never going to use. So communities which emphasized things other than golf, and which had no golf courses, began to spring up. Perhaps if more older people start desiring large dogs AND want to live in a planned community, we'll see the creation of 'large dog friendly" 55+ communities with appropriate dog parks and walking trails, and no community restrictions on dog size and weight. Stranger things have happened.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
And that is excellent advice. Find out the community regulations and ask yourself BEFORE you move in if you're sure you can abide by them Don't expect the community to change to accommodate you, as it probably won't.

Back to the OP's original question: I think it's an interesting one, given all the other amenities these communities usually offer. I can only assume the demand isn't there - yet. But who knows if that will change? When these 55+ communities started out, most of them had golf courses because of course all active seniors wanted to play golf, right? But over time developers discovered that many senors do NOT enjoy golf and were deliberately avoiding those communities that had golf courses because they didn't want to pay for the upkeep of an expensive amenity they were never going to use. So communities which emphasized things other than golf, and which had no golf courses, began to spring up. Perhaps if more older people start desiring large dogs AND want to live in a planned community, we'll see the creation of 'large dog friendly" 55+ communities with appropriate dog parks and walking trails, and no community restrictions on dog size and weight. Stranger things have happened.
Where my inlaws live, all 55 plus but otherwise looks like a housing development, they have special classes for residents like exercise geared towards the older among us, which they can maintain. They have spoken highly of it. They also have a knitting/yarn arts group which my mil attended until her vision got to weak. They are actually located next to a golf course, their house overlooking a large green space. They've only had a few balls hit high enough to reach their yard luckily. But if you live there you got discounts.

But while the houses are designed for older occupants in mind, they are otherwise just houses. Many people have pets, including larger dogs. It's very good for them since its above the smog line (he has severe copd) and relatively relaxed an area. Generally they have large enough yards that most dogs wouldn't require extensive walking.

It's sort of what's being discussed, but its not a village sort of place and the cost isn't that much less than regular housing.

I'm assuming there would be something more distinctive about the sort being discussed like a defined community with homes tailored down in size for maintaince? And activities and perhaps classes for
interests?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
It's sort of what's being discussed, but its not a village sort of place and the cost isn't that much less than regular housing.

I'm assuming there would be something more distinctive about the sort being discussed like a defined community with homes tailored down in size for maintaince? And activities and perhaps classes for
interests?
I think there's quite a bit of variation in the size of both the houses and the lots in these 55+ communities, with some places building smaller "normal' houses in the 1200-1600 square foot range on very small lots, and others offering more of a range in both house size and lot size. Small lots would help keep the property taxes lower and are less costly for the association to maintain, so there's some good reason for these communities to favor them, but I can see why folks who want a large, active dog might not want to live in such a place. But they might be fine in a planned community with a larger lot size. (And of course there's also the issue of whether the community allows fencing: some do, and others don't. A big lot without a fence isn't very helpful to a large dog owner!)

Old 07-07-2015, 11:21 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
A

Fingers crossed.

With the variety of service animals these days, providing for their needs would seem like a part of a home being handicap accessible for some.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 PM

I feel a need to say something here. I have read a few posters' remarks reminding us that this is a 55+ community with active seniors! Or something to that extent. You know what? I am so glad I don't live near you people. All so self important. So much better!!!

I happen to live in a 55+ income limit apartment complex and I want you to know we do consider ourselves to BE a 55+ animal-lover's community. I was shot down for having the nerve of commenting on having animals in apartments. Well la dee dah to the poster who made sure to tell me that I didn't belong in this thread.

By the way, you all should try re-reading the title..... here it is for your information.

Where are the animal-lover's 55+ communities?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I happen to live in a 55+ income limit apartment complex and I want you to know we do consider ourselves to BE a 55+ animal-lover's community. I was shot down for having the nerve of commenting on having animals in apartments. Well la dee dah to the poster who made sure to tell me that I didn't belong in this thread.
No one has said you don't belong on this thread. What I said is that the sort of community you live in is NOT what the OP was talking about (which is clear if you read the first post in this thread - I don't know of any apartment complexes where the renters have individual back yards). The OP was asking why so-called "active adult" 55+ communities which specifically cater to the needs of people owning large dogs do not seem to exist. And the answer is probably simple: lack of demand currently.

Last edited by Aredhel; 07-07-2015 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
No one has said you don't belong on this thread. What I said is that the sort of community you live in is NOT what the OP was talking about (which is clear if you the first post in this thread - I don't know of any apartment complexes where the renters have individual back yards). The OP was asking why so-called "active adult" 55+ communities which specifically cater to the needs of people owning large dogs do not seem to exist. And the answer is probably simple: lack of demand currently.
You are not the specific person I was mainly writing about. However, I still find your attitude toward my posting is closed minded. Wasn't the first post regarding a place to keep dogs? And I believe it mentioned animal lovers. What exactly do you get out of being so picayune?

You may find if you open your mind and allow for variations it could be a nice experience for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement