Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:49 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,803,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
You can fork out $80 a month for Direct TV and can't afford $9 a month for Netflix?

We gave up Direct TV a couple years ago. We have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and about 1000 channels through my Roku, including Smithsonian, PBS, A&E, History Channel, etc. When my Direct TV bill hit $80 a month with no premium channels like HBO etc., I said enough is enough.

I watched the Grace and Frankie series. Lily Tomlin was the best out of all four. I could have done without the men kissing scenes, but, hey, it's life.

Jane Fonda actually apologized for Hanoi Jane in, I think, the AARP publication not too long ago.
You can get Netflix for 30 days for nothing (have to give a credit card, but they don't charge it if you cancel; I know several people who have done it to watch a series and none had a bad charge). Be forewarned that they do it because you might find ways to justify it even if your plan was to just watch a few things and bail. I am a subscriber after starting with a trial.

I thought all four did really well after a couple of episodes but Lily Tomlin did seem to slip into her role the quickest. In the first episode at dinner, the other three seemed a little stiff. Jane Fonda did have a harder role for the first few episodes, though; her character was changing. Lily Tomlin's character adapted, but didn't change who she is. IMO, of course and it is all fiction anyway...

Yes, it is life. Their relationship is a central theme; avoiding that would have undermined the whole premise. Again, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 05:33 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,376,478 times
How did this get to be a political post? OP here, just wanted to share some good entertainment. Not interested in Jane Fonda's past but making note to self... 'another reason to keep away from age restricted communities full of stodgy, pig-headed old codgers'.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,121,055 times
Quote:
You can fork out $80 a month for Direct TV and can't afford $9 a month for Netflix?

We gave up Direct TV a couple years ago. We have Netflix, Hulu Plus, and about 1000 channels through my Roku, including Smithsonian, PBS, A&E, History Channel, etc. When my Direct TV bill hit $80 a month with no premium channels like HBO etc., I said enough is enough.

I watched the Grace and Frankie series. Lily Tomlin was the best out of all four. I could have done without the men kissing scenes, but, hey, it's life.

Jane Fonda actually apologized for Hanoi Jane in, I think, the AARP publication not too long ago.
You are confused , I do not have Direct TV. I don't have cable. I have an indoor antenna.

Please make sure you are talking to the "right" person. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,039,136 times
Quote:
You've conflated the responses from two posters.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:55 AM

566 posts, read 594,521 times
I binge watched it.

It's PDG! 🏄

Ageless roles.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:04 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,034,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I watched most of the episodes for free on YouTube. Pretty entertaining. I want Jane Fonda's sweaters....

I never pay for TV shows. It's amazing what you can find posted for free somewhere online, or I wait until I can check it out of the library for free.
Your my people. Primewire rules! I'm always dumbfounded how many people pay all that money for premium tv service when 99% of any show or movie is online for free. Streaming is your friend,embrace it

Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,039,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Your my people. Primewire rules! I'm always dumbfounded how many people pay all that money for premium tv service when 99% of any show or movie is online for free. Streaming is your friend,embrace it
And I'm dumbfounded how some people have zero ethics and morals and have no problem watching pirated material, in effect, being no better than thieves themselves.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:28 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,671,509 times
I watched the first episode.. meh..
I suspect I will have to watch a few more episodes to really get into it. Netflix has quite a few original series that I have found very entertaining!

Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,419,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And I'm dumbfounded how some people have zero ethics and morals and have no problem watching pirated material, in effect, being no better than thieves themselves.
Good point. I'm not a fan of that.

I stay away from the pirated sites. Many TV stations have websites where they show things, and there's hulu etc..

The Grace and Frankie show was on YouTube with tons of commercials (the downside), and appeared to have been posted purposefully by the producers to increase interest in the show.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,803,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I watched the first episode.. meh..
I suspect I will have to watch a few more episodes to really get into it. Netflix has quite a few original series that I have found very entertaining!
IMO it took about 3 episodes for Fonda and Sheen to get comfortable with their characters and in Fonda's case for the character to evolve into someone I could like. I was also "meh" up until that point but after that I was hooked.

EDIT to add - Netflix does have a history of putting series pilots on YouTube; that isn't pirating, it is marketing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement