Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 01:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Did you intend to place this in the retirement forum? There is a dedicated forum for religion.
This tread seems to be more about a personal question aimed at retirees instead of a religious discussion.

As for me, I became a Christian in College and am still going strong at age 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I'm sorry if serious illness or big aging issues are the only reason anyone would wonder about meaning and all that goes with it! It's a basic human concern.
Maybe it's because I took LSD when I was a teenager- I took it to get to the base of human consciousness (or something) so I was always oriented to those questions, just not thinking to find any paths or answers through religion. I was fortunate to be raised by wolves, as a friend of mine reminds me. I wasn't raised an atheist, I just wasn't raised. I just sort of grew taller and left home, unburdened by other people's religious beliefs or issues. (Well, I had plenty to deal with from their personal issues, but not religious ones).

I grew up in a very post-war, second-generation Jewish suburb. There were few religionists, and adherence to Jewish thought seemed far more cultural than religious. I think I got the best of it from the environment.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:59 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I am not nor have I ever been a very religious person. I do believe in a "God" but don't subscribe to any particular dogmas.

One thing I've noticed with the retirees I know is that many seem to become increasingly religious and introspective as time passes and they realize they don't have too much time left in this world. I think some were simply too busy with work, raising children, and day to day responsibilities to honestly give religion much thought, and now have more time to attend services, etc.

Did you find yourself become more interested in religion in your old age/retirement? Why or why not?
I don't think so. It's not for lack of trying. I'm not an atheist, but not particularly religious. Never have been. Apparently never will be. I believe, and have always believed, that none of us really knows for sure...so I keep my options open!

I think if a person truly believes certain things, age doesn't change that. Life experiences and growth may change that, but that doesn't necessarily mean age.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Another drop-out from church and organized religion here.
After a decade-long flirtation with atheism in my 20s, I suddenly and unexpectedly had a series of what are sometimes referred to as a spiritually transformative experiences. I eventually ended up attending and taking a very active part in a mainstream Protestant Christian church, primarily because I wanted to expose my children to the experience. During that time, I attended and taught adult Bible classes. When my children left home, I quit attending church. That's been some 16 years now and I've never gone back.

So to answer the thread question: I've never been religious but I've long had a deep spiritual faith. And although that hasn't grown since I've retired, the time I spend in spiritual practice has certainly increased. Most days I spend 1-2 hours reading and meditating, sometimes more. The particular learning path I've chosen involves other practices as well that extend to other areas of my daily life.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:10 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
You start to realize that there is a God and religion in general is just plain politics.
I agree, and that applies to ALL organized religions throughout the world and throughout history.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:20 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,664,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't think so. It's not for lack of trying. I'm not an atheist, but not particularly religious. Never have been. Apparently never will be. I believe, and have always believed, that none of us really knows for sure...so I keep my options open!

I think if a person truly believes certain things, age doesn't change that. Life experiences and growth may change that, but that doesn't necessarily mean age.
Ha, so what you are saying is that many are merely fearful atheists.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:58 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
I've always been somewhat religious but never a Bible thumping fanatic if that means anything.

I know God exists because when I look at the structure of a baby's hand, what a marvelous creation of engineering it is, I know there has to be something behind it. It didn't just happen.

The eyes. Riding down the highway last evening I'm looking at the trees on each side and my eyes... take a moment to really think about what you are seeing; the what appears to be millions of bits of information you are processing when you look at trees with millions of leaves. Of course, I know we don't see the millions of leaves but somehow our brain manages all the information and I for one find that simply amazing and a miracle really. It didn't just happen.

And yes, I believe in evolution but then the Pope does as well. Oh yeah, and we all know the world is billions of years old and not 6,000 or whatever number the idiots might say it is.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
As I get older, I find myself becoming more spiritual and less religious.
This was really more of what I was trying to get, people who may or may not have had much family reconsidering that position in old age.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:53 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I'm Jewish, and in the past few years I have become much more active in my congregation, but not for reasons that would typically be termed "religious." Some years ago, a rabbi paraphrased the Jewish philosopher Martin Buber by saying, "It is in the interconnection between people that the divine emerges." I strongly believe that the interconnection between people creates something that is larger than the people themselves.

So I attend Saturday morning services to be with the other people there, and also to continue my connection with Jewish family members -- my husband, my dad, grandparents, aunts & uncles -- who have died. I am not one of those who can find God in a forest or at the beach or wherever -- I need my community of people around me. I derive great comfort from this.

Interestingly, Judaism requires the presence of ten adults (ten adult men, if you're Orthodox, which I am not) before many important prayers can be recited. I think this underscores the necessity of community. That is where I find God.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:07 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
It is nice to be around good caring people, not to mention wonderful music from a nice choir. Many churches help the poor and do all kind of wonderful things with the power of their people. Sadly, the press only reports bad things from a few bad churches. They are very few indeed. My last church gave money to a ton of laid off workers in our region and helped them EAT! Of course you hear about all the bad things instead. For the most part church is quite good. I am not that old, but do the holiday thing at this time. Maybe when I hit 60 or so, I will go more. I am not proud that I don't support all the good at this time.

Also, religion isn't all about one style. Some religions feel the bible happened as such, some think it was stories for teaching us how to act. I get a kick out of people that try and lump all religions as one. Clearly, if you try and do that, you are completely ignorant of religion and really shouldn't speak.

Enjoy the day and be thankful for each one you have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement