Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,300,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Well, it's mid to upper 80s here in Columbus with high humidity most of the summer. That is very similar to coastal Virginia and North Carolina. What my wife doesn't want is 95 with 100% humidity, like what Florida gets all summer long. And the 105 dry heat isn't her thing either. I don't know. It seems my wife and I differ on what our ideal climate is, other than southern California...which we cannot afford. Personally, I think Arizona could be ok, but she will have none of that....

Add two to three months of hot and muggy weather to what you are getting in Columbus and that will approximate what you will find in the Southeast. When I moved to Richmond, VA (from Dayton, OH), we had a strict dress code of long sleeve shirts ... except from April 1 - October 31 due to heat and humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 04:52 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,095,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I read the retirement forums and am only 23. I find the wealth of information informative and it does help me plan out what I should do for my money. I've always been relatively frugal, but it's very hard to conceptualize 40 to 50 years into the future. Unfortunately a lot of what I read I need to reassert my own life with as I shouldn't, for instance, throw all my money into a retirement account and not pay down my debt (but boooooy does it feel like I want to)
You are well on your way. Welcome to the forum and learn from some of these very intelligent folks. We won't hold your young age against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRoseAngel View Post
I am age 39 and learning from this forum. I hope to absorb as much information and implement them. I worry a lot and hope this forum will calm my financial anxious mind.

I am not happy where I am at financially and do worry since I believe owning a home has slipped out of my grasp since I live in a very high cost of living area and stuck in the area due to custody of a very young precious child. Rent will always go up so I need to prepare for that (alarming rate hikes in my area). There is no more room in my budget to save or contribute more than I currently am towards retirement at the moment but I hope to get creative somehow. I do aim to work for as long as I can until hopefully retire at age 65.

You as well will benefit. I think there is a wealth of information here in more than just the numbers. The other websites seem to deal with numbers more and in particular types of investments. Some of the very smart folks here have those links on speed dial and can point you there but I think as we all go on here you are doing the very best you can. Life begins again every second and so things can change on a dime yet they dont change either. It is a dicotomy and one that makes living sometimes trying and other times so wonderful. Your very young precious child is special as they all are. Life is special so enjoy it. Do not worry as much about tomorrow but do look towards the future.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
I'm 44 and enjoy reading this forum. I will probably work until I'm 66, and my wife will then be 65. This is assuming, of course, that I am still alive at that point. Between our 401k and SS, we'll probably have to live off of 2/3 what we have made while working. Assuming our condo is paid off and we do not have a car payment, we hopefully can make it work.

But I think we will probably move. In Ohio, property taxes are very high. We currently pay $5200 a year for our 1700 sq ft condo. And that will probably be $7k a year by the time we are ready to retire. We live in a nice part of Columbus, so I understand the cost. Also, our condo fees currently are $235 a month. And those go up $10-15 a year. So that could be close to $500/m in 20 years. Again, we live in a great community with nice amenities, but will it be affordable when we want to retire? We could be looking at $1100/m in property taxes plus condo fees. even with a paid off mortgage, that is a lot.

I would like to move to an area that has lower property taxes, and warmer winters. In Ohio, we have long, grey winters that are depressing. My wife won't move to any place that is extremely hot in the summer, so Arizona and Florida are out. And San Diego is way too expensive for us. So I don't know. Maybe coastal Virginia or North Carolina.

These are all things I think about daily.
Check into TN. It is a state not too far from you with milder weather and lower cost of living. It also could be close enough for inexpensive family visits if you have family still in Ohio.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
I'm 44 and enjoy reading this forum. I will probably work until I'm 66, and my wife will then be 65. This is assuming, of course, that I am still alive at that point. Between our 401k and SS, we'll probably have to live off of 2/3 what we have made while working. Assuming our condo is paid off and we do not have a car payment, we hopefully can make it work.

But I think we will probably move. In Ohio, property taxes are very high. We currently pay $5200 a year for our 1700 sq ft condo. And that will probably be $7k a year by the time we are ready to retire. We live in a nice part of Columbus, so I understand the cost. Also, our condo fees currently are $235 a month. And those go up $10-15 a year. So that could be close to $500/m in 20 years. Again, we live in a great community with nice amenities, but will it be affordable when we want to retire? We could be looking at $1100/m in property taxes plus condo fees. even with a paid off mortgage, that is a lot.

I would like to move to an area that has lower property taxes, and warmer winters. In Ohio, we have long, grey winters that are depressing. My wife won't move to any place that is extremely hot in the summer, so Arizona and Florida are out. And San Diego is way too expensive for us. So I don't know. Maybe coastal Virginia or North Carolina.

These are all things I think about daily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
True, and I've never understood Florida hate due to this. At least in Tampa, winters are still very comfortable, whereas in Raleigh you do get a true winter.

Raleigh gets a true winter? Yikes I dont remember hearing that they had to dig out of a 2 foot deep snow storm let alone the winter that New England had this past winter . I seem to recall having to send soldiers out to shovel the commuter rail this past February. I dont think Raleigh had to do that did they?

Not for much but I am certain that the few weeks of seriously cold weather NC gets is a breeze to get through.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Raleigh gets a true winter? Yikes I dont remember hearing that they had to dig out of a 2 foot deep snow storm let alone the winter that New England had this past winter . I seem to recall having to send soldiers out to shovel the commuter rail this past February. I dont think Raleigh had to do that did they?

Not for much but I am certain that the few weeks of seriously cold weather NC gets is a breeze to get through.
I have been in Raleigh over 20 years and seen snow of over a foot twice. We probably average over one "big" storm of over 4" per year (it might happen 3 times in 2 years) and maybe 5 times that we get enough for the kids to get excited (and schools to close). Snow on the ground for more than 2 days probably twice a year. Our coldest snaps are typically dry. We do get a fair number of those. Last winter was atypical for the eastern US as the big warm air mass setting all the records in AK, BC and the PNW pushed the artic air over here. It was the second year in a row that we lost some speckled sea trout down at the coast from slush forming in the inlets. So yeah, we get a "real" winter compared to FL or AZ. But at least a day or two of ~75 happens in most months.

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 08-28-2015 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 08:20 AM

173 posts, read 380,852 times
I'm 46 years old and hoping to retire from an education career in about 6-10 years, depending on how everything is going during the latter part of those 10 years. At this point in my career, I still feel fresh and motivated and haven't experienced much burnout and I'd like to keep it going and finish strong over this last part of my years in secondary education.

This forum keeps me informed and in a way, motivated to get to the finish line because I can hear the stories of others who are striving for the same thing.

My two cents is to obviously take care of finances in order to have a nice retirement but don't forego good health and fitness as we won't be able to enjoy much if we are dealing with medical issues.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:50 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post

\

I'll 2nd that.

I'll take the NC true Winter over my former NJ winters anyday. Been gone five years and NJ has had the worst winters in years.

The Sandhills has even milder winters than Raleigh. Guys down here golf all winter long. Of course the real golf fanitcs golf in NJ all winter.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:07 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I'll 2nd that.

I'll take the NC true Winter over my former NJ winters anyday. Been gone five years and NJ has had the worst winters in years.

The Sandhills has even milder winters than Raleigh. Guys down here golf all winter long. Of course the real golf fanitcs golf in NJ all winter.
I like to paddle my kayak and fish. I actually live slightly south of Raleigh off US 1. Sometimes in the winter, it is worth driving an hour or so down to Aberdeen when a frontal line is between here and there (happens with some frequency) it may be 8-10 degrees warmer. And that narrow little city lake right off the highway has free parking/launching, trees along the bank that block wind pretty well in the upper part and the jacks (southern pickerel) are pretty active in the winter.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
I distinctly remember working just before retirement it's not about pondering how you will spend your money afterwards it's about making sure you leave with it
Many people are fired and cut a check for vested interest 6 months before retirement when they "discover" you are incompetent
Stay awake friend
Also look into buy backs of service and 401 457 tax free rollovers to pay for them

Old 08-28-2015, 09:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
I retired at 60 on Jan 1 08, a few things i hadnt considered once into retirement.
All those friends you thought you had from work are no more,they were just situational friendships.
Many of your friends will still be working when you retire.
In my case my wife still has another 5 years to work before retirement.Which equates to doing a lot of stuff on your own.
All that stuff you thought you were going to do when you retire ends up taking up only 10% of your time.
If you have any bad habits you now got a whole lot more time to indulge.
Weight gain can become a problem as a sedentary lifestyle is easy to fall into at the cost of your health.
Remaining relevant in life becomes a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement