Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 01:36 PM

218 posts, read 174,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
I don't agree with this if it is part of the PLAN. If you cannot cover LTC now why not buy for the time until you can afford to SELF INSURE? You want to NOT make the 1000 mile trip because it's too far instead of making one step at a time.

Now if you are never able to self insure then it makes sense to plan for the rest of your life but that plan STILL may be just to have the LTCi for only a portion of the time. I have lifetime coverage. I still have the possibility of living 30 more years. Offers have been made for me to give that up for only 10 years of coverage. At this point the price is too cheap (about the cost of a pack of smokes a day) for me to give up possibly 20 years of coverage even though I have a cash flow today that could cover costs indefinitely. I will think about dropping or reducing coverage as I approach 10-15 years of life left.

As I've posted before I anticipated paying about $70,000 over 30 years to have coverage from DAY ONE and to have a benefit in year thirty of over $200,000 a year. If I don't use it I've still had the COVERAGE for 30 years. The care is IMPORTANT to me. I do not want to spend my last years with an ex street person roommate that has the exact same LTC plan (Medicaid).

It is a hard decision but just "what iffing" until you become uninsurable is the wrong way to go. Can you afford ten years of coverage? If not, decision made. If you think coverage for 30 years will cost you $140,000 do you have the skill to HELOC that amount out of your house and invest and cover the P&i and the premiums over 30 years with the earnings of $140,000 today?

Make a decision for today!
A remarkable piece of twisted logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:08 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,554 times
Can you elaborate?

Old 10-16-2015, 03:43 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Can you elaborate?
I don't think your logic is skewed at all. Honestly unless as a married couple you have 1mil each you need at least some sort of plan. If you're healthy now then get the best coverage you can afford.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I don't think your logic is skewed at all. Honestly unless as a married couple you have 1mil each you need at least some sort of plan. If you're healthy now then get the best coverage you can afford.
I think some people come here to get justification so they don't have to make the decision to spend money that they don't HAVE to spend.

Because of my Dad I've seen Medicaid and private pay in 4 different states. I'll take private pay any day.
I also saw how people cling to life. I've seen the haves and the have nots in the same facility. I wanna be a have.
I just try to point out things to consider. I've seen too many people plan for todays expenses for 30 years from now. I've seen people not realize how 10-15 years can take a big inflation bite out of SS and pensions that will decrease their purchase power over time.
If you can't afford you can't afford.
If you don't want to buy you don't buy.
If you think you're too healthy and your town doesn't have mass transit then why worry about the odds of getting hit by a bus.
If you have no problem with your family making spend down decisions for you then why worry. Will they put you in the crappiest place trying to make your money last? Thanks for putting them in that position!
If you'd rather have a paid off house that will be used for your care than the house with a 3% loan that has paid for your insurance then use your money to pay it off but quit being miserable because you don't have LTCi.
Geez. **** or get off the pot!

Old 10-16-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate?
Nope, it speaks for itself.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHillers View Post
Nope, it speaks for itself.
Obviously not. See two posts above.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
That is, the advantages and disadvantages of LTCi as well as the advantages and disadvantages of self insurance. It is a quantitative and psychological decision.
First, you've failed to define "self insurance" much less provided a list of advantages or disadvantages.
Second, you have failed to do the same thing for LTCi.

Even your probability study is flawed. Must be nice to live in a fool's paradise!

Old 10-16-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
First, you've failed to define "self insurance" much less provided a list of advantages or disadvantages.
Second, you have failed to do the same thing for LTCi.

Even your probability study is flawed. Must be nice to live in a fool's paradise!
Aren't we touchy this fine evening. My my!

Old 10-16-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Aren't we touchy this fine evening. My my!
Aren't we evasive this fine evening. My my!

Painted yourself into a corner I see.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Aren't we evasive this fine evening. My my!

Painted yourself into a corner I see.

“Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.”
― Robert A. Heinlein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement