Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 08:03 AM

69 posts, read 75,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I think such---long, grey/white hair on someone 60+, is pathetic. It looks like they don't know they have aged, and are trying to still live in their youth. There's no rules about what styles for what age, but in general go with where you're at. In my youth, I had long, very beautiful hair. It was brown with hints of red and gold, and just fell into its own style. Alas, that young lady is no more. My hair is now naturally white, grey, and dull brown, no longer the glory of my youth. Also, the texture has gone from heavy, silky, to thin, dry......well, it looks fine if kept trimmed, colored, conditioned, etc and a shorter style just works better. Also, when women get older, their faces "sag", some a little, some a lot. Long hair draws the eye downward and accentuates the downward lines. Shorter hair pulls the eye up giving an illusion of vitality, instead of a worn-out look.
I love long hair on women of all ages and totally disagree that long hair makes one look worn out - have you checked out Melissa55's videos? She's a grandmother in her 60s and still has beautiful long hair:

https://www.youtube.com/user/volmel55/videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
To each her own:

That is so not the norm.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:14 AM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
From my previous post, I'm still wondering if Augie is married and how his wife feels about all this? Just curious.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
163 posts on the lengths of an older woman's hair?

Let me first say - IF I could have Emmy Lou Harris' hair - I would have it in a heartbeat. I'm thinking there could be some extensions in there a la most famous women. Love it, love it, love it.

Love beautiful silver hair and it's this season's trend - even for younger women.

My hair is very fine and always has been - long hair is never going to work for me; but bob does and will.

I don't have a pixie because I'm short with a round face and that would just be a disaster for ME. It's a look that happens to look GREAT on other women and there are women that just don't give a tinker's damn what anyone else things ~ especially some dam stranger on the street.

And that's fine too.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:35 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Short hair is considered butch? Maybe the Hair Police can find something more constructive to do than analyze women's hair styles.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:58 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Here's one woman's perspective:

Quote:
The “manosphere†really hates short-haired girls. On “game†forums and in personal dating manifestos, the wickedness of short-haired women pops up time and time again as theme and warning - stay away from girls who’ve had their hair chopped off. They’re crazy, they’re deliberately destroying their femininity to “punish†men, but the last laugh will be on them, because the ******* will die alone. Yes, there are people who really believe this.

The essential argument is: men like long hair, and what sane woman would ever want to do anything that decreases her capacity to please men? The advantage of articles like this, pantomimic though they be, is that they make misogyny legible. There was a time when feminists had to do that all by ourselves, but now we don't have to point out the underlying assumptions of a lot of the bull**** we deal with every day, because there are people on the internet doing it for us. Laurie Penny on hair: Why patriarchy fears the scissors - for women, short hair is a political statement

Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 AM

840 posts, read 1,120,725 times
Augiedogie, you must live in a small world if you've never seen men change their look drastically.
Two of my brothers had long hair when they were in their 20's. Many years later, they both have hair cut so short sometimes it looks like it hurts. Both have had buzz cuts off and on over the last ten years.

The other thing you have to realize is that marketing of clothing, hair products, and makeup are all directed towards women making us conscious of how we look. As women get older, some don't give a bleep because they have learned to be comfortable about their looks and how they feel about themselves. After all, we realize that sometimes a pretty package is just that and nothing more.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:08 AM

42 posts, read 28,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

So it all depends on what looks good on a particular person. The old lady bouffant hair cut, med. length with different layers, permed with bangs....is very aging. As is a pixie cut.
Pixie cut is aging? Really? That's quite the blanket statement. Let me tell you my experience. If the subject of age comes up with people I've just met (and it does often when lifestyle/ages of children/current employment or the like come up) without exception they are flabbergasted when I say I'm retired with grandchildren, the oldest is 20. They all assume I'm in my late 40's or at most early 50's. I'm 72. And I wear my hair in a pixie cut. Cut and colored every 4 weeks at the best salon in the area. Oh, and this reaction has been going on since my two youngest kids were in high school. Back then they assumed I was in my late 20's.As for trends I do what I like whether it's trendy or not.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:31 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,094 times
Because it makes so little difference to me, my hair style (whats left of it) and facial hair is determined solely by what DW wants. She is the only one I want to please. I tell her to wear her hair however she wants; I want her to be happy. She chooses her color and shoulder length, different ways to wear it. Shes 63, and looks maybe 52. She hates old lady styles, perms and blue hair. I agree.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:32 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Absolutely hilarious, while I was reading the new post in this thread as we were watching the The Flash . My wife blurted out I hate it, why do woman wear their hair that way. Priceless considering this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement