Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 05:02 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times

Advertisements

Rakin, saw the burr cut at Benghazi hearing, looks great on that woman! very few women can even begin to carry that off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 06:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belovenow View Post
I think long hair looks hot even on older women. It's versatile if you have some creativity and it looks more powerful than short length hair (both feminine and powerful). There's female bias on CD towards cutting woman's hair in the fashion section so it doesn't surprise me to see the bias here. Most men chime in such threads about younger ladies stating uniformly the same: Women with long hair look better. So there you have it... there's a major split in opinion. At the end of the day (or near the end of your life as well), it matters not what others think... it's your hair and your look.

It took me a very long time to get to the point where I realized as a guy I was never going to have the classic/media-idealized Aryan/German look (that coincidentally just a few years after WWII somehow became how all models look *making one think hmmm*). I simply don't have those features or hair pattern. So I embrace what I have instead. Since embracing my own look, I've had zero issues being perceived as attractive. Everyone is in the same boat and should do likewise. Make the best of what you have and be happy.
Good post except for one line, which I'll fix for you:

Quote:
Most men chime in such threads about younger ladies stating uniformly the same: Women with long hair look better.
"It's their opinion that women with long hair look better." It's not that they "do" look better (that's a ridiculous generalization anyway - simply because not all women look better with long hair than with short hair) - it's simply the opinion of "most men."

The thing is, "most women" have figured out that they don't need to "look better" to "most men." They only need to please themselves - and in the sake of a relationship, perhaps the man (or woman, I guess) that they're in a relationship with, but that's not always a requirement or even a passing thought.

But I get totally what you're saying in the second paragraph. You say you're not a classic Aryan looking guy but once you gave that weird ideal up, and embraced who you are and what you look like, you're not experiencing any "attractiveness" issues. Excellent.

I can totally relate. I have had VERY short hair since I was in my mid thirties. I got divorced (had nothing to do with the hair as far as I can tell) and began dating again - and had zero problems dating all sorts of eligible and interesting men. Within just a few months of meeting one of those men, he asked me to marry him, which I did with great enthusiasm and it was one of the best decisions of my life.

One thing that struck me about several of the men was that they told me that I was the first woman they had EVER DATED who had very short, spiky hair. They seemed to like it. My husband was one of those men, who told me actually on our first date that he had literally never dated a woman who had short hair. When I tried to grow it out a few years ago, and then gave up in frustration and a fit of remorse, my husband immediately said, "THANK GOODNESS - CAN I HAVE MY WIFE BACK NOW?" and told me in no uncertain terms that he loves my short hair.

So - all that to say - as you said, "Embrace your own look."

Old 10-22-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Who cares?
To me it does matter - very much - what DH and my family and close circle think. DH especially since he has to look at my hair all day every day. I want to be attractive to him. Happily he thinks my short tousled silver do is gorgeous (especially when I wear red lip gloss and silver earrings, which I do all the time) and I adore his shaved head and facial scruff so all is well is biscuitland!
LOL sounds great.

My husband's hair is longer than mine! His hair is silvery gray now, but all his life he's had beautiful blonde hair that just falls into place in a nice, longish layered look - mine would NEVER do that. Anyway, so his hair is several inches long and mine is above my ears!

We're both very pleased.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Right, but not everyone looks like Audrey Hepburn! You almost have to in order to pull off short hair.
Really, that's ridiculous!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I want to see a pic of this haircut; the texture sounds like mine, and I would love a cute, quirky "do"...
This was before the asymmetrical side really grew out so imagine it longer on one side now, but here it is - and I don't think I look like a man! This picture is a few years old but I haven't really changed the hairstyle other than letting it grow longer on one side - just the bangs.

The color? Now THAT changes every few months! But it's always some shade of reddish brown.

And obviously, I look absolutely nothing like Audrey Hepburn. But I think I look a lot better with short hair than I did with long hair.

Last edited by Yac; 10-23-2015 at 06:29 AM..

Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This was before the asymmetrical side really grew out so imagine it longer on one side now, but here it is - and I don't think I look like a man! This picture is a few years old but I haven't really changed the hairstyle other than letting it grow longer on one side - just the bangs.

The color? Now THAT changes every few months! But it's always some shade of reddish brown.
That's a lovely picture, you and your hair look great !

Old 10-22-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
That's a lovely picture, you and your hair look great !
Thank you! Like I said, I cut it off close to twenty years ago and I've kept some variation of that cut nearly the entire time - the color changes and sometimes I let it grow longer on the top, but it's always cut above my ears and short around the sides and back. Sometimes I spike it up and sometimes I highlight it but it's basically the same. Maybe I'm in a rut but I don't care.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:36 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Geez.... I'm starting to feel bad....I thought my short haircut looked nice I never thought people would think I look like a man...

Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 PM

42 posts, read 28,337 times
Quote:

And obviously, I look absolutely nothing like Audrey Hepburn. But I think I look a lot better with short hair than I did with long hair.
You look great!!!

Old 10-22-2015, 09:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:

I like it. Quite lovely in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement