Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Do you cringe when you see men with a ponytail? Did you think that Johnny Depp looks like a girl in Pirates? If a woman has long hair but wears it in a pony tail and wears jeans and flannel shirts does she look like a woman or not? If a woman has a haircut that you would more commonly see on a man does that somehow communicate that she is not "embracing her womanhood"? I hope that what defines us as women is less superficial than you are claiming.

Anne Hathaway

Angelie Jolie

Amber Rose
Dangity, Dang, Dang
TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 03:38 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,468,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Looks a heck of a lot better than some 60 year old woman who wears her grey/white hair the same length as if she were 25-30.
Geez man, 60 isn't all that old, though. Lots of 60 year olds still look young enough and have some colour in their hair A little harsh!

Old 10-23-2015, 03:40 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
[quote=GiGi603;41659041]... The question was women with men's haircuts.

...QUOTE]

Um....no, it wasn't.

The OP's thread title references "women with men's haircuts." In the OP, however, it can't be any clearer that he considers women who have their hair cut to about an inch in length to have gotten a man's haircut. Nothing is said about "butch" styling--it's simply the length (or lack of it) that he's associating with a lack of femininity.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Really there is no reason to attack me, I am entitled to my own opinion.

I never said "length of hair" has anything to do with womanhood--yes there are short man styles and short woman styles. Feel free to think what you think, yes be a free thinker! You are entitled to your own opinion!!!
If you think a traditional man cut looks fine on a woman, good for you. No need to jump on me about my opinion on what the subject of the thread was.

As I stated a couple of times, do what ever you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think its funny that people get flamed by people that express an opinion on a forum for people to express their opinions??? This reminds my of the show I saw about China when Mao was its dictator. Right thinking is whatever the state told you.
Indeed. We are talking about opinions about a hairstyle. OPINIONS ABOUT A HAIRSTYLE! It is beyond amazing that people get so defensive, hostile, angry, testy, and nasty in reaction to other people's opinions about a hairstyle. Some of those people have suggested that people holding opinions need to "get a life", apparently all the time completely unaware of the irony that they are the ones who need to get a life if they can't even accept that our opinions about hairstyles (or anything else) are not going to agree.

There is something extremely strange going on in this thread. I seriously doubt if differing opinions about what color and size car we would like to have (or do in fact have) would provoke such emotional reactions.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:09 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, yes, and yes.
AAAND yes.

How frickin insensitive, OP. What, are you God's gift to women? (and men who love men?)

Old 10-23-2015, 07:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
There's a lot of things we have to get used to in this day and age...gender expression and gender changes, religious and morals diversity, demographic/ethnic diversity, sensitivities and tolerance of diversity, personal styles including dress and hair, styles of communication (omg, I just learned how to text, and I resisted it but want to keep up with my kids), modes and styles of employment, and so on. It's natural to have our very own, very personal opinion about all of these things (e.g, I'd rather see kids in trendy school uniforms on some levels, instead of seeing their a$$es hanging out and their bellies exposed, but that's just MY highly subjective opinion). An opinion is just that, someone's personal take on something based on personal aesthetic (hair, dress, behavior) or moral values. So the OP doesn't get it, as he states. No need to attack; simply state our opinions and let it be. The last thing we need at our age is Hair Wars.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:43 PM

496 posts, read 553,322 times
Well, I happened to attend someone's 50th college reunion today (not mine), and there were over 600 people (alumni/spouses) around the age of 72 in attendance, so I spent a few minutes observing ladies' chosen hairstyles just for the hellavit.

There were ladies with hair of every length, including nearly to their waists (a couple of very pretty women, probably outright stunners back in 1965, with exceptionally thick and well-preserved hair). The predominant length was a puffy layered cut reaching just to the ears, or slightly below, with a goodly number of chin-length bobs and some shoulder-length bobs. I observed no crew cuts or "spikes" on any woman. There was an equal amount of uncolored and colored gray - mainly blonde tint - no punk colors or stripes.

The only really short hair I saw, belonged to those women whose DNA or health had revealed their scalps. Most of them had short, curly perms to try to fluff out the remaining hair as much as possible. None of the men with thinning hair (which was most of them) had made such efforts. So in this case, a very short, albeit curly haircut was definitely a feminine thing.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:26 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
a new topic "what is dating age"?
Apparently meaning, a woman past a certain age "won't be getting looked at or having dates". I have seen stated within dating / relationships that age 30 - 40 is the absolute "dead-end". No wonder women go ahead and begin pleasing themselves, if they are viewed as no longer being seen.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Apparently meaning, a woman past a certain age "won't be getting looked at or having dates". I have seen stated within dating / relationships that age 30 - 40 is the absolute "dead-end". No wonder women go ahead and begin pleasing themselves, if they are viewed as no longer being seen.
Not seen by whom? I find women of all ages beautiful if they take good care of and are confident in themselves. Some of all ages let themselves go which is unfortunate, as do men which is also unfortunate.

When it comes to women I'm an equal opportunity looker. Always have been. Always will be.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
I have only gotten halfway through the topic, but here's what I think:

First of all, women should be able to do what they want, considering their lifestyle, personality and choice, but do feel that not all styles will suit everyone. Similarly, just as eyeglass frame shape or style can add or detract, depending upon face shapes (being oval, triangle, round, square). Depending upon facial shape and hair texture - long, shorter and certain styles will look better on one over another. Some might want a hairstyle that is popular, but doesn't suit them or a stylist may urge something unsuitable, besides ending up with hair shorter than planned! (It should be considered that maybe one did not necessarily choose their current style or are "in transition", as mentioned, from Cancer).

Some might know what works for themselves, especially after years of hairdressers and experience. After having my hair cut into layers when younger (I have fine, wavy hair "with body"), I found it best for my hair texture, rather than a "one-length style", because it is more flattering for me to have a fuller, less flat look. Having an "Oval-shaped" face, I have been able to have longer and shorter hair styles, both with fullness on top. Well, I have gone back and forth over time, but prefer it longer, because it allows for pulling it up in back, as an option.

I will see someone on a show, such as "Dr. Phil" and notice that a hairstyle does not suit one's face shape or texture (including the men), but also instantly observe when one has a flattering style. Not to be critical, but I think it comes from having an artistic eye. (I will also notice and compliment women I see in public on their hair or cute outfit and can tell that women make an effort, unlike a lot of men I see, seeing a few recently - portly, unkempt, long, gray hair, ponytails.. ugh). Gee, what makes a man do that, just wondering?

But the bottom line is, a "Pixie" being deemed "not good on anyone" when for "oval" is fine, is like not considering body-types and fashion (despite weight or not), being a natural body shape of "round, rectangular, triangle, inverted triangle", which everyone is, even men. (Just because a narrow, straight-up-and-down model possibly with fake boobs, or a thin, triangular shape with boobs has been designated as the "norm", it is why an inverted-triangle woman will kill herself, "trying to get rid of her thighs", when it is her natural shape). I recall this type commonly at the beach - small boobs, small waist, with larger hips and thighs - it is a type, just like all others, (but men think there is ONE body type to covet, due to all the hype which has been a disservice to both women and men). Anyway, sorry for the diversion.

My feeling is, being either female or male, as long as one pays attention to grooming, I think it is what matters and that a balding man knows to cut what remaining hair he has neatly (ahem...Mr. Trump). By the way, to all of those who mentioned having struggled with Cancer, good to see you got through that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement