Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 10:31 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
My first short haircut was because of a man, not other women/girls. Well, okay, it was actually a boy.

When I was six, I had long hair and was wearing it in pigtails. I was a tomboy since my neighborhood was all boys. One of the meaner, older boys stood on my pigtails one day and would not let me up until I said uncle. He was a bad boy and I didn't want to give in to the likes of him and held out as long as I could, but it wasn't as long as he could stand on them. I was so frustrated and mad after I said uncle. I went home and asked my Mom if I could get my hair cut short and did the next day.
Your story reminds me of a sweeter one my father told me. When he was a little boy (he was 45+ when I was born, so it was many years ago), there was a girl who sat in front of him on whom he had a crush. Those were the days of inkwells in the desks and students used fountain pens. He said he dipped the tip of her braid—which was always hitting his desk—into the inkwell. He told the story with great fondness, so I don't think it was meant to be mean at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 04:47 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
... Is the maintenance of women's hair an issue? Yes, I wish I had the money and time I have spent on mine over a lifetime. Imagine a life without worrying about how your hair looks.
Funny you should mention the money. I got a new crosscut paper shredder recently and spent hours shredding a huge box of old paper checks and bank statements. Of all the things I saw from years gone by, the thing that shocked me the most was how much I have spent on hair maintenance. It might not be a lot of money to some people, but with my newly reduced retirement income, it now seems OBSCENE.

I wish I could have all that money back. I'd spend it on something more sensible. Now that I'm getting my hair cut at cheapie walk-in joints and coloring it at home, it doesn't look all that much worse than when I went to a fancy salon where it was even hard to get an appointment.

I could buy a decent used car on what I spent at hair salons over a 10-year period alone. Hard for me to admit that.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Your hair looks GREAT, and the longer wisps keep you from looking masculine. Do you straighten it? Because mine would be more "Brillo Pad" if that short...

Old 10-23-2015, 05:26 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

And obviously, I look absolutely nothing like Audrey Hepburn. But I think I look a lot better with short hair than I did with long hair.
Short hair on women is fine. The question was women with men's haircuts.

I don't get that one. My husband's sister has been sporting a butch/men's haircut for a few years now. I makes me cringe every time I see her. If she would get a short woman's cut she would look so much better.

People can do what ever they want. I just like to embrace my womanhood and look like a woman. There are short hair styles for women that look great, then there are the men's haircuts on women...

Old 10-23-2015, 05:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Your hair looks GREAT, and the longer wisps keep you from looking masculine. Do you straighten it? Because mine would be more "Brillo Pad" if that short...

Thank you and yes, I use a flat iron on it - otherwise it would be a hot mess.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:09 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Hair, hair, hair. Even though we each feel we have a certain range of how we can 'display' it, it all boils down to genetics and health what the underlying program is going to be.

Men can choose length and style even color, but cannot control baldness. Still, a few try to improve the frontal view via the controversial 'comb over'. Women can control color, length, and style, but the latter is only to the extent that the hair cooperates. We still try to contol texture, but there is little that can be done to control thinning of fine, silky hair except to cut it short so it is 'fluffier'. Some people use hair as part of their creative canvas, others simply use their approach to fit in with their herd. But my unfavorite for men is the comb-over or spikes, and for women it is uneven coloring, particularly unnatural colors like beet red or blue plus things like artsy assymmetry. I guess I am more herd oriented than une artiste.

Nonetheless, I am still of the generation that says "suit yourself" when it come to hair! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_(musical)

Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Short hair on women is fine. The question was women with men's haircuts. I don't get that one. My husband's sister has been sporting a butch/men's haircut for a few years now. I makes me cringe every time I see her. If she would get a short woman's cut she would look so much better. People can do what ever they want. I just like to embrace my womanhood and look like a woman. There are short hair styles for women that look great, then there are the men's haircuts on women...
Do you cringe when you see men with a ponytail? Did you think that Johnny Depp looks like a girl in Pirates? If a woman has long hair but wears it in a pony tail and wears jeans and flannel shirts does she look like a woman or not? If a woman has a haircut that you would more commonly see on a man does that somehow communicate that she is not "embracing her womanhood"? I hope that what defines us as women is less superficial than you are claiming.

Anne Hathaway

Angelie Jolie

Amber Rose

Old 10-23-2015, 10:45 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,678 times
Quote:
Short hair on women is fine. The question was women with men's haircuts.

I don't get that one. My husband's sister has been sporting a butch/men's haircut for a few years now. I makes me cringe every time I see her. If she would get a short woman's cut she would look so much better.

People can do what ever they want. I just like to embrace my womanhood and look like a woman. There are short hair styles for women that look great, then there are the men's haircuts on women...
You do get that in 2015 men don't own a style of cut? Maybe you need a hobby so your sister in law's hair doesn't bother you.

Length of hair has NOTHING to do with "womanhood".

Old 10-23-2015, 12:42 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Quote:

People can do what ever they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
You do get that in 2015 men don't own a style of cut? Maybe you need a hobby so your sister in law's hair doesn't bother you.

Length of hair has NOTHING to do with "womanhood".
Really there is no reason to attack me, I am entitled to my own opinion.

I never said "length of hair" has anything to do with womanhood--yes there are short man styles and short woman styles. Feel free to think what you think, yes be a free thinker! You are entitled to your own opinion!!!
If you think a traditional man cut looks fine on a woman, good for you. No need to jump on me about my opinion on what the subject of the thread was.

As I stated a couple of times, do what ever you want.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
I think its funny that people get flamed by people that express an opinion on a forum for people to express their opinions??? This reminds my of the show I saw about China when Mao was its dictator. Right thinking is whatever the state told you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement