Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 06:06 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,083,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
In direct response to the OP's q, (didn't read the thread) my opinion as a former "hottie", now turned hag:

Until menopause in 2012 (age 49) .....

I think trying to look sexy after age 50 is futile.
Futile? Wow. Your life is your own to do with as you wish, but really, this post speaks volumes. My wife is 63 and very sexy. Plenty of women in their 70s still are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
It's a basic, sensible fact that our sexual impulses are hormonally driven; we don't have them BEFORE puberty, and we don't have them AFTER menopause, for the most part (except to demonstrate love, whatever); that's a biological reality in place to ensure safe reproduction, as birthing either too young or too old is not recommended.

For some reason, there is a segment of the population that gets very offended at this info. and protests that it doesn't apply to them; again, whatever! I'm with the "former hottie" on this. After age 50, relax.

Unless you're afraid your husband or boyfriend will leave you if you do...

Old 11-21-2015, 09:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Futile? Wow. Your life is your own to do with as you wish, but really, this post speaks volumes. My wife is 63 and very sexy. Plenty of women in their 70s still are.
I'm glad to read this. I think I will still be hot in my 90s.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
In direct response to the OP's q, (didn't read the thread) my opinion as a former "hottie", now turned hag:

Until menopause in 2012 (age 49) I was one of those who could never understand why females would choose to look mannish. I was ultra feminine and always had long hair though my hair is straight and thin and gets stringy when long, not gorgeous hair by any means.
I also always wore eye makeup, nails done, high shoes either platforms or heels, tight clothes and had the figure for them.

Menopause hit very suddenly, I had very little pre-or peri-menopause.
After my cycles ceased I ceased to care about being appealing to males.

I gained 30lbs, stopped wearing makeup/doing nails, and now dress like a frumpy old bag and I am VERY OK with that.
My hair is now shoulder length and going grey.

For me, loss of interest in sex/finding a partner (I'm a widow) was what got me to not care about looking less feminine.
Perhaps older females post menopause with mannish haircuts went through a similar shift?

Only if you define hotness by hair and manicures and shoes. I never had long hair, only do manicures when I go to parties or weddings. Same with high heel shoes.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:11 AM

496 posts, read 553,322 times
Why do you suppose that is?

If men will leave women because the women lack sexual impulse, then presumably the men will leave whether the women admit it or not. Unless you are implying that women who lack any sexual impulse, are faking it like mad. That must be very uncomfortable for them. Horrible, even. Why would they even do it?

Based on my reading, I have gathered that women vary. Many lose sex drive after menopause, although some do not. Some take replacement hormones to continue being able to have sex (no matter how angry that makes people, it is a medical fact). Also, fat produces its own estrogen, or so I have read, so perhaps fatter women retain sex drive longer.

Besides, what does sex drive, or lack of it, have to do with haircuts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

Unless you're afraid your husband or boyfriend will leave you if you do...

Old 11-21-2015, 10:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,115,521 times
Quote:

Until menopause in 2012 (age 49) I was one of those who could never understand why females would choose to look mannish. I was ultra feminine and always had long hair though my hair is straight and thin and gets stringy when long, not gorgeous hair by any means.
I also always wore eye makeup, nails done, high shoes either platforms or heels, tight clothes and had the figure for them.

Menopause hit very suddenly, I had very little pre-or peri-menopause.
After my cycles ceased I ceased to care about being appealing to males.

I gained 30lbs, stopped wearing makeup/doing nails, and now dress like a frumpy old bag and I am VERY OK with that.
My hair is now shoulder length and going grey.

For me, loss of interest in sex/finding a partner (I'm a widow) was what got me to not care about looking less feminine.
Perhaps older females post menopause with mannish haircuts went through a similar shift?

Menopause is just another stage in a woman's life. It is the end of the menses (much to many women's glee). But an end to sexual libido? Desire for a sexual partner? No, I don't agree with you.
Have you considered seeing your doctor? You may have depression, hormones all out of whack, etc.
I've never thought of myself as a "hottie" but believe men still find me desirable. I'm 73, got my father's genes (he always looked a lot younger than he was), and having a positive attitude does wonders.
I've been a single woman for a long time, no recent boyfriend, but am always hopeful one day someone will come along.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
Why do you suppose that is?

If men will leave women because the women lack sexual impulse, then presumably the men will leave whether the women admit it or not. Unless you are implying that women who lack any sexual impulse, are faking it like mad. That must be very uncomfortable for them. Horrible, even. Why would they even do it?

Based on my reading, I have gathered that women vary. Many lose sex drive after menopause, although some do not. Some take replacement hormones to continue being able to have sex (no matter how angry that makes people, it is a medical fact). Also, fat produces its own estrogen, or so I have read, so perhaps fatter women retain sex drive longer.

Besides, what does sex drive, or lack of it, have to do with haircuts?
It's not always true that one loses sex drive in menopause. Maybe decreases a little bit but lose, I doubt it.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:21 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It's not always true that one loses sex drive in menopause. Maybe decreases a little bit but lose, I doubt it.
Yeah I guess I never got the memo that I would lose my sex drive, but for that matter I've had short hair since my early 40's, and sometimes just for kicks I get it cut really, really short. Sometimes I do it for the 'shock effect' (I love watching people doing a double take when they look at it) but also because I think hair should be fun and I refuse to conflate the style or length of hair with femininity. A few years ago there was a gal in her 40's who would jog past my house in running shorts with an awesome platinum blonde flattop, very much a "man's haircut" but it didn't stop the men in the neighborhood from stopping whatever they were doing to gawk at her as she ran by

Old 11-21-2015, 11:28 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
yourown2feet states: "Some take replacement hormones to continue being able to have sex"

You are once again spreading propaganda and inaccuracies.

The vast majority of women do NOT need to take hormones in order "to continue being able to have sex".

This is just not true.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:33 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Women can definitely be sexy in their 50's, 60's, and 70's.

And 50's is young! Even one's 60's is not considered old today.

And sex drives for women can definitely remain from one's ages of 50's thru 80's.

Having sex and intimacy also includes all kinds of sex (caressing etc) and intimacy, in addition to intercourse.....but intercourse is definitely desired by older women.

Some women are not attracted to and not sexually attracted to their husband, so they avoid sex. Don't confuse those women with the vast majority of other women who desire sex in their 50's through 70's and beyond.

And sexy definitely does not have to be defined as tight dresses, high heels, and manicures.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-21-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement