Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,193 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has mostly a buzz cut. I don't question it. She is one of the most together human beings I know. She is clean and neat and has a beautiful aura that emanates from her. Her life has been mostly in relationships with women who were quite into appearance and buying bigger and better things. She lives in a very small condo she owns and works part-time and is semi-retired. She volunteers with a non-profit that helps disadvantaged families. I only see her face, and her hair is rather superficial to who she is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 08:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
It saves on shampoo and time for hair drying. I have short hair, but not that short.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:07 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,407,050 times
It's already been stated here many times: Health, stress, aging, and genetics all play a part in the quality of one's hair. If a person of any age has healthy long hair, great! Have it long. But I have seen many lovely older women with short hair, and I think it flatters them more than an attempt to have longer hair that is difficult to manage. A great shorter cut shows off the person's face and flatters the features more than a wall of long hair. As I've gotten older, my hair went from being easy to manage to curly/wavy/challenging, so a basic shoulder length cut is necessary for me.

My husband prefers short hair on women. If only more hair cutters were skilled at doing flattering short cuts!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:05 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
It's already been stated here many times: Health, stress, aging, and genetics all play a part in the quality of one's hair. If a person of any age has healthy long hair, great! Have it long. But I have seen many lovely older women with short hair, and I think it flatters them more than an attempt to have longer hair that is difficult to manage. A great shorter cut shows off the person's face and flatters the features more than a wall of long hair. As I've gotten older, my hair went from being easy to manage to curly/wavy/challenging, so a basic shoulder length cut is necessary for me.

My husband prefers short hair on women. If only more hair cutters were skilled at doing flattering short cuts!
I have ultra short hair. The lady that cut it works primarily on men. The fades or whatever they are called. She knows how to cut it so it will flatter the shape of your head.

Her co-worker cut it once and yikes - all I could think was that it would grow out!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:08 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
I guess long/big hair can cover up more skull shape imperfections. I remember when I finally cut out the last ends of blond hair I had before I went mostly grey. The stylist made me look like Paula Deen! No way. Just flips and curls all over. South Texas hair!

I decided to go gray when my favorite hairdresser and her mom (my backup) quit doing hair. I felt lost - lol.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,880,754 times
In direct response to the OP's q, (didn't read the thread) my opinion as a former "hottie", now turned hag:

Until menopause in 2012 (age 49) I was one of those who could never understand why females would choose to look mannish. I was ultra feminine and always had long hair though my hair is straight and thin and gets stringy when long, not gorgeous hair by any means.
I also always wore eye makeup, nails done, high shoes either platforms or heels, tight clothes and had the figure for them.

Menopause hit very suddenly, I had very little pre-or peri-menopause.
After my cycles ceased I ceased to care about being appealing to males.

I gained 30lbs, stopped wearing makeup/doing nails, and now dress like a frumpy old bag and I am VERY OK with that.
My hair is now shoulder length and going grey.

For me, loss of interest in sex/finding a partner (I'm a widow) was what got me to not care about looking less feminine.
Perhaps older females post menopause with mannish haircuts went through a similar shift?

I think trying to look sexy after age 50 is futile.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:42 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
In direct response to the OP's q, (didn't read the thread) my opinion as a former "hottie", now turned hag:

Until menopause in 2012 (age 49) I was one of those who could never understand why females would choose to look mannish. I was ultra feminine and always had long hair though my hair is straight and thin and gets stringy when long, not gorgeous hair by any means.
I also always wore eye makeup, nails done, high shoes either platforms or heels, tight clothes and had the figure for them.

Menopause hit very suddenly, I had very little pre-or peri-menopause.
After my cycles ceased I ceased to care about being appealing to males.

I gained 30lbs, stopped wearing makeup/doing nails, and now dress like a frumpy old bag and I am VERY OK with that.
My hair is now shoulder length and going grey.

For me, loss of interest in sex/finding a partner (I'm a widow) was what got me to not care about looking less feminine.
Perhaps older females post menopause with mannish haircuts went through a similar shift?

I think trying to look sexy after age 50 is futile.

I think you should read the whole thread. Its worth the time.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,142 times
Overitall I am at least 10 yrs older than you, love feeling feminine and sexy. I am taking estrace however. I really don't think I would be happy letting my appearance go to your extent. My mom is 92--still dresses up to go out and wears lipstick every day

It must depend on the person. As should hair be a personal choice. Nobody else's business.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:19 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,314 times
Sometimes i think the hairdressers are at fault, they only see us as short back and sides, i now have a short bob for my very fine hai,r easy to manage, having said that some older woman look beautiful with very short hair, some, not so good also depends on the cut. Judy Dench comes to mind.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:47 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think its funny that people get flamed by people that express an opinion on a forum for people to express their opinions??? This reminds my of the show I saw about China when Mao was its dictator. Right thinking is whatever the state told you.
"Right thinking"; you mean "political correctness"? Because we're there -- here and now -- and not just about hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement