Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

My hair is very difficult to manage so I found a cute, short hair style I felt suited me when I was very young. I pretty much stick to it. Occasionally I tried to wear it long just for a change and it always turned out to be a disaster.

As long as I was happy with the way I looked that’s all that mattered. I would never have anything to do with a man who judged my entire self by my hair. That type of man has real issues with his own self esteem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 10:37 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I don't see why anyone should care or presume to be a critic -- look in the mirror.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:36 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Are you kidding. Thats one of the most popular activities worldwide, criticizing other people.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:21 AM

The fact that women don’t dress solely for men may hurt the male ego of some men who want to believe the opposite.

There’s an old saying that goes, “Women don’t dress for men, they dress for other women.”

The idea behind this is that women are supposed to believe other women are watching and judging their style. This is probably true to some extent because women often do check each other out when it comes to fashion and hairstyles.

I believe it’s more the case of women dressing to please themselves. I’ve rarely come across a woman who had only men in her mind when she chose her fashion statement. Most women will prefer to choose their “look” by what’s in style and/or what makes them feel good about their appearance. That goes for hairstyles too.

If women dressed solely to please men, they would more than likely to be wearing four inch heels and mini skirts instead of flannel checkered shirts and Uggs.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:47 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The fact that women don’t dress solely for men may hurt the male ego of some men who want to believe the opposite.

There’s an old saying that goes, “Women don’t dress for men, they dress for other women.â€

The idea behind this is that women are supposed to believe other women are watching and judging their style. This is probably true to some extent because women often do check each other out when it comes to fashion and hairstyles.

I believe it’s more the case of women dressing to please themselves. I’ve rarely come across a woman who had only men in her mind when she chose her fashion statement. Most women will prefer to choose their “look†by what’s in style and/or what makes them feel good about their appearance. That goes for hairstyles too.

If women dressed solely to please men, they would more than likely to be wearing four inch heels and mini skirts instead of flannel checkered shirts and Uggs.
you would be surprised

As i was recently by remarks made by some longtime female friends. They are siblings and they basically said that they dress the way their husbands wanted them to dress. They had to look good and one also said her husband wanted other men to lust after her.

Now that is just darn creepy to me. But then i think their mom's goal was to get them all married and out of the house. All females and all were with child or married before they were 20. One was 13.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:55 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
My husband could not care less how I dress. I do think, however, he likes seeing me dress nicely when we go somewhere. I dress how I want to, with no regard of other's opinions.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:56 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
The idea that anyone looks -- clothes, makeup, hairdo -- a certain way "to please oneself" is ridiculous; you can't see yourself unless you're looking in a mirror. Dressing for comfort, absolutely. Dressing to impress others (male or female) because their favorable opinion makes you feel good about yourself, sure. But you can't see "yourself."

Old 04-26-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
you would be surprised

As i was recently by remarks made by some longtime female friends. They are siblings and they basically said that they dress the way their husbands wanted them to dress. They had to look good and one also said her husband wanted other men to lust after her.

Now that is just darn creepy to me. But then i think their mom's goal was to get them all married and out of the house. All females and all were with child or married before they were 20. One was 13.
Yes, I also thought of these types of women as I was writing my post but I left it out because they are (hopefully) in the minority.

When I talked to other women around my age and up, some of the widows have said now that their spouses are gone they can dress and wear their hair as they please. I ask them why couldn't they do that while married and the replies are usually, "Because my husband wanted me to look a certain way."

It's fine to want to please a spouse if it makes everyone happy but not if it's one sided.

Sometimes too, men don't understand what it takes to look a certain way. I remember when we were married, my ex wanted me to wear my hair like Laura Petrie. My very curly, very unruly hair. I told him when he could afford to pay for a professional hairstylist like the one who worked on her hair and the time it would take for upkeep, I would wear my hair like hers.

Some men just don't get the impossible.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:11 AM

404 posts, read 381,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

When I talked to other women around my age and up, some of the widows have said now that their spouses are gone they can dress and wear their hair as they please. I ask them why couldn't they do that while married and the replies are usually, "Because my husband wanted me to look a certain way."
This must be generational. I don't know a single person around my age group (mid 50's) who would think this way.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
This must be generational. I don't know a single person around my age group (mid 50's) who would think this way.
Same here with my age group 60 +
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement