Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 11:52 AM

253 posts, read 235,446 times

Advertisements

There may be more posts in this thread than there are hairdo options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I don't care how other women want to wear their hair. However, older women who opt for super short styles seem to be in the majority which causes society to judge the longer haired ladies as "off trend" because we aren't conforming to the majority. Walk into any auditorium or large gathering of people and you will see all the older ladies wearing the uniform look of short pixie cut, hoop earrings and shaved necks. Someone who has long hair will stand out as "different". I wear my hair the way I want to (longer) but sometimes get comments about "needing a new style". In other words, what I'm trying to point out is that the "Majority" opinion can often be daunting.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that older Hollywood actresses like Diane Keaton do not have short pixie cuts.

Also, most European women, who are known for their style, do not have ultra short hair.
What you don't seem to understand is that most women don't care how Diane Keaton or some women in Europe wear their hair.

Bravo for you wearing your hair the way you want to - and hopefully you can be just as supportive of any woman wearing her hair the way she wants to. Not just Diane Keaton.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:

The other thing I wanted to point out is that older Hollywood actresses like Diane Keaton do not have short pixie cuts.

Also, most European women, who are known for their style, do not have ultra short hair.
I would say that part of smt111's point is that older actresses, and older women in Europe do not follow the often prevailing choice and action of short hair for older women and the ridiculous ill-founded thought that older women (and even middle-aged women) should not have long hair.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
Quote:
I don't care how other women want to wear their hair. However, older women who opt for super short styles seem to be in the majority which causes society to judge the longer haired ladies as "off trend" because we aren't conforming to the majority. Walk into any auditorium or large gathering of people and you will see all the older ladies wearing the uniform look of short pixie cut, hoop earrings and shaved necks. Someone who has long hair will stand out as "different". I wear my hair the way I want to (longer) but sometimes get comments about "needing a new style". In other words, what I'm trying to point out is that the "Majority" opinion can often be daunting.

What I do if I'm dressed where I look rather bland and boring is do something really different. I'll wear my bajoran earring with all the chains and dangles. I'll wear makeup (mostly I don't, ichy eyes), or just dress in the 'me' look. Boots, jeans, pullover shirt, and really funky vest with something startrek inspired somewhere, maybe my communicator. I think when people say they can't find anyone to 'share' with they are missing that you have to allow possibles to see what you like about the real you. I had a really fun time when the one dye job on hair was done without washing it first, and whatever was on it sort of reacted to almost purple. Loved it but never figured out how to do it again.

People need to free themselves from the idea that they always have to wear the offical, normal 'uniform' and fade into the woodwork. If they showed themselves, the real self, they might be surprised how much better they felt about themselves. There is no ONE 'right' for everyone.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 PM

Everybody - wear your hair the way you want to.

There.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
But ask yourselves WHY you want to wear it that way. "The unexamined life is not worth living."

Old 12-12-2017, 10:14 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But ask yourselves WHY you want to wear it that way. "The unexamined life is not worth living."
I guess for me it is vanity. Not vain enough to color it, but vain enough to know that ultra short gray hair makes me look older and fatter!

My hair grows fast and it is a few inches past my shoulders. It was buzz cut in the back at one time.

A former high school classmate stopped me in the store and told me that I look so much better and thinner! Not that I am "fat" - but still made me feel good.

It does need to be flat ironed to look presentable and I don't mind doing that. After years of practice, its a breeze.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Oh I totally agree - introspection is always important.

I know why I wear my hair very short. I'm good with it. It looks good on me, and my husband loves it. It expresses my personality perfectly. Those are perfect reasons for me, and like you, I encourage anyone to truly "own" their hair style.

I've had short hair in various short styles since I was a young woman. Twice I've grown it out, only to cut it back off, to the great relief of myself and my family, a year or so later (longest two years of my life - LOL). It just wasn't "me" and my husband told me the last time I went through that whole cycle "Thank God you cut your hair - I love it. I feel like I got my wife back!"

So yeah - be sure you know why you wear your hair in any particular style. My mom wore her hair in a teased Jackie Kennedy bob for about thirty years - long past it's "sell by" date - because she just simply never re evaluated her hair style. She was dying it jet black as well. One day my dad somehow managed to convince her to try something different and to let it go it's natural color, and the transformation was amazing. She looked GREAT! She had just gotten in a rut and wasn't really "seeing" herself in a true mirror.

She told me later that it was one of the best decisions of her life and it was with my parents' approval and support a couple of years ago that I quit dying my hair and let it become it's natural color. One of the last things my sweet dad ever said to me -actually in the hospital - was "Don't ever dye your hair again - it's gorgeous."

Thanks, Dad!

Old 12-12-2017, 12:31 PM

10,095 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Geez, I need to be introspective about my short hairstyle? OK, here goes:

1. I wear it short, especially in back, because I need to apply pain relief gel 4X daily high up on my neck for pain.

2. When I grow my fine, thin hair out, it hangs straight down off my face and gives me the appearance of a basset hound - not a good look for me.

3. I have shoulder issues and "styling" my short hair (what little I do to style it) is much easier.

4. I've worn it in many short variations since I was 12 and am basically comfortable with that length. There are times I dream of waking up with long hair overnight, but I also know that realistically I'd cut it off again within a week at most. My hair is just too fine to look good long without doing a whole lot to it, and I'm way beyond that much work.

I get compliments from a lot of women on my short hair (which I cut myself), so I am good with it. Guys can like it or not - I wouldn't care if they had hair or not, so they can judge my hair style as they please.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Geez, I need to be introspective about my short hairstyle?
LOL right on.

Sounds to me like we're not lacking introspective skills. All I'm lacking is a big fat head full of hot, bothersome Rosanne Rosannadanna hair.

But I make up for it in personality.

"And who do you think was sitting next to me but Dr Joyce Brothers!"

Watch Weekend Update: Roseanne Roseannadanna on Smoking From Saturday Night Live - NBC.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement