Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 11:47 PM

42,874 posts, read 26,399,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I don't understand men doing comb overs. That is not sexy at all, who do they think they're kidding?
or balding men with ponytails, it looks like the ponytail is slipping off of their head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 07:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
or balding men with ponytails, it looks like the ponytail is slipping off of their head
There's a guy I know who has long hair but he's bald on top. It looks like someone poured a bucket of hair over his head and it dripped down but ran off the top.

Very unattractive look!

Listen folks, there's no use arguing this. Short hair looks great on some women and not so great on others. Long hair looks great on some men and not so great on others. Some men are into long hair and others aren't. Some women are into long hair and others aren't. So what?

Short hair CAN be easier to keep styled than long hair, and vice versa - it all depends on the type of hair and the style and cut. Once again, so what? And for that matter, so what if someone else chooses a high maintenance style - if they like it, it's their hair. You don't like it - don't wear your hair that way.

Let's do what works for each of us and live and let live. But one thing I'd caution EVERYONE about and that is choosing a "look" based on the opinions of others. Do what you want with your own head.

Old 12-09-2017, 09:37 AM

42,874 posts, read 26,399,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a guy I know who has long hair but he's bald on top. It looks like someone poured a bucket of hair over his head and it dripped down but ran off the top.
Awesome description lol

Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,806 times
Quote:
That is hilarious!

Old 12-10-2017, 07:47 AM

50,429 posts, read 64,185,923 times
I went to lunch with some women and three out of 4 had very short hair. I thought it looked good on them, so I was a bit envious.
As I get older, I go more for easy care than trying to look glamorous. I know, since I lost my hair once during chemo, that I am NOT one of those women who look good with very short hair.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:58 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,578,959 times
Oh, wow. What have I learned from this thread? I better grow out my hair now so when my current spouse passes I can land me a man!

Old 12-10-2017, 08:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
Oh, wow. What have I learned from this thread? I better grow out my hair now so when my current spouse passes I can land me a man!

LOL I landed me a great guy when I was single in my mid forties, and had hair about an inch long!

(Still got him too - and my hair is still short - 13 years later!)

Old 12-10-2017, 09:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,297,044 times
Quote:

Very unattractive look!

Listen folks, there's no use arguing this. Short hair looks great on some women and not so great on others. Long hair looks great on some men and not so great on others. Some men are into long hair and others aren't. Some women are into long hair and others aren't. So what?

Short hair CAN be easier to keep styled than long hair, and vice versa - it all depends on the type of hair and the style and cut. Once again, so what? And for that matter, so what if someone else chooses a high maintenance style - if they like it, it's their hair. You don't like it - don't wear your hair that way.

Let's do what works for each of us and live and let live. But one thing I'd caution EVERYONE about and that is choosing a "look" based on the opinions of others. Do what you want with your own head.
Bravo!

I still don't get why so many people are sure they know what's best for others, from the way they dress, to their hair, or what they enjoy to do. And as long as your are not doing *harm* to others, why should you be judged based on their beliefs in what is 'proper'?

So, if a man is older, and likes his hair long and is balding, and likes it in a braid, fine. If you like you hair dyed purple, then good for you. If an older woman dyes her hair an eye catching color since it features what's there and chooses green or purple or so on, then good for her. If a man can grow a full and petable beard, then it should be admired rather that be scary. What you do with your hair, male or female, old or young, is up to YOU. If it says hi, guys. I'm not conventional, then its good.

My ex had red hair, and his beard was almost to his waist. It was full and wavy and his hair was nearly to his waist. We finally seperated, but over other issues. I still loved the hair and beard. If he was still around, he'd look like he could join the crew of Vikings any old day and they wouldn't notice. And in my chosen social circle, science fiction fandom, lots of men wore facial hair long before it became acceptable.

I see women with long thick hair and wish. Mine is extra fine, and its not 'thin' but looks it. I use only henna to dye it now, and it makes it stronger over breaking it off as chemicals do, so what I have shows off. I'd love thickness, but do the best I can. If I could it would be as long as I could get it.

So, do the best you can to look the way you desire, and are comfortable in that, and if someone else disagrees, just smile at them and say you hope they enjoy the way they choose too.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:14 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,578,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Bravo!

I still don't get why so many people are sure they know what's best for others, from the way they dress, to their hair, or what they enjoy to do. And as long as your are not doing *harm* to others, why should you be judged based on their beliefs in what is 'proper'?

So, if a man is older, and likes his hair long and is balding, and likes it in a braid, fine. If you like you hair dyed purple, then good for you. If an older woman dyes her hair an eye catching color since it features what's there and chooses green or purple or so on, then good for her. If a man can grow a full and petable beard, then it should be admired rather that be scary. What you do with your hair, male or female, old or young, is up to YOU. If it says hi, guys. I'm not conventional, then its good.

My ex had red hair, and his beard was almost to his waist. It was full and wavy and his hair was nearly to his waist. We finally seperated, but over other issues. I still loved the hair and beard. If he was still around, he'd look like he could join the crew of Vikings any old day and they wouldn't notice. And in my chosen social circle, science fiction fandom, lots of men wore facial hair long before it became acceptable.

I see women with long thick hair and wish. Mine is extra fine, and its not 'thin' but looks it. I use only henna to dye it now, and it makes it stronger over breaking it off as chemicals do, so what I have shows off. I'd love thickness, but do the best I can. If I could it would be as long as I could get it.

So, do the best you can to look the way you desire, and are comfortable in that, and if someone else disagrees, just smile at them and say you hope they enjoy the way they choose too.
And this just about says it all. Thank you and good night, Gracie!

Old 12-11-2017, 06:01 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,077,267 times
I don't care how other women want to wear their hair. However, older women who opt for super short styles seem to be in the majority which causes society to judge the longer haired ladies as "off trend" because we aren't conforming to the majority. Walk into any auditorium or large gathering of people and you will see all the older ladies wearing the uniform look of short pixie cut, hoop earrings and shaved necks. Someone who has long hair will stand out as "different". I wear my hair the way I want to (longer) but sometimes get comments about "needing a new style". In other words, what I'm trying to point out is that the "Majority" opinion can often be daunting.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that older Hollywood actresses like Diane Keaton do not have short pixie cuts.

Also, most European women, who are known for their style, do not have ultra short hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement