Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 07:41 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,505,239 times

Advertisements

Just watched the Carol Burnett Special last night. They showed clips of Carol when she wore her hair really short. Cute as a button. She’s wearing it a bit longer now but shorter hair was always a great look for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:50 AM

22,108 posts, read 13,123,011 times
"Cute," but not "sexy." Depends what effect you're going for? Still, she didn't look "mannish" with it, any more than pixie Twiggy or waif Mia Farrow did.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 AM

17,571 posts, read 39,241,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Cute," but not "sexy." Depends what effect you're going for? Still, she didn't look "mannish" with it, any more than pixie Twiggy or waif Mia Farrow did.
I always hated those haircuts on Twiggy and Mia. Both of them look better with longer hair. I am not against short hair at all, but as mentioned it looks better on some than others. And the right cut is also necessary. I was always a huge fan of Linda Ronstadt and in her early career her hair was long, but towards the late 70s she cut it into the cutest short style that as soon as I saw it I ran out and had mine cut just like it! I did like it, and got lots of compliments, but my hair is too straight and fine and required too much upkeep, so I grew it out again. I am basically a "long-hair" type, and will always have some version of it. Much easier for me to keep as I put it up a lot.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,442,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I LOVE Carol Burnett, but do you really think that giving her 6 more inches of hair will suddenly make her SEXY?

It's about the same as saying any man wearing a codpiece (or sporting a pair of rolled up socks in his crotch) is sexy.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:37 AM

22,108 posts, read 13,123,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I LOVE Carol Burnett, but do you really think that giving her 6 more inches of hair will suddenly make her SEXY?

It's about the same as saying any man wearing a codpiece (or sporting a pair of rolled up socks in his crotch) is sexy.
I didn't say the attempt was always successful; I said "what you're going for."

But not always; I, personally, prefer shoulder-length or longer hair simply because I'm able to sweep it up and back and get it off my face and neck.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,706,206 times
I don't understand men doing comb overs. That is not sexy at all, who do they think they're kidding?

Old 12-08-2017, 07:37 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,752,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive. Yet I see women who do this who obviously do other things and spend money to make themselves look better, but then cut their hair mostly off. I didn't think hair was that big a maint. thing. Maybe the ladies can explain?
Perhaps they don't care what you think?

Old 12-08-2017, 10:42 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,884,731 times
I can tell you from personal experience that short hair is a LOT easier to take care of. In college and when I got married (1974) I had long hair about 1/2 way down my back. I also had a job in a hospital lab that required I be on call a couple nights a week and about every third weekend. My hair is very thick (still is at age 65) and when I washed it I had to sit under a hair dryer in huge rollers for about 2 hours to get it even close to dry. A stressful job, new husband, new apartment (actually 1/2 an old house), and everything to go with it just wasn't making it. So about 3 months into the marriage I cut my hair short. Hubby wasn't thrilled as he liked my long hair but he saw how much work it was causing. At 65 I still wear it short, in fact I am going today to get it cut as it grows weird. On top it is straight but when it gets long in the back it curls up plus the one side falls in my face. I look ridiculous wearing a barrette to keep it out of my face. Luckily I don't have much gray hair or it would look even worse. I had major surgery almost 5 weeks ago and washing it, even at this length is a big pain in the butt. I get it cut to about 3" on the top and gradually shorter as it goes down and I love it. Even if it's a bit short at the cut it grows really fast, so I don't care. The waves fall into place perfectly and it takes next to no time to wash and dry it. Everyone who sees me says they like it that way.

Anyway.......if you have never gone through the hassle, you don't understand what a pain it can be to have long hair. I tried to let it grow out a bit once and after about 6 months I couldn't stand it anymore and got it cut. I like to wash, towel dry, fluff into place and go.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,600,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post

I can tell you from personal experience that short hair is a LOT easier to take care of.

Anyway.......if you have never gone through the hassle, you don't understand what a pain it can be to have long hair. I like to wash, towel dry, fluff into place and go.
I completely disagree. The above is true for you. I have long hair way below my shoulders, and I do NOTHING to it. I wash it and it dries on its own. done. All I do is wash it.

And yes, I read that you have thick hair.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:22 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,442,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I completely disagree. The above is true for you. I have long hair way below my shoulders, and I do NOTHING to it. I wash it and it dries on its own. done. All I do is wash it.

And yes, I read that you have thick hair.
Great...glad you have your long hair and all the guys still running after you. I like my short hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement