Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2019, 07:15 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,314,609 times

Advertisements

I am 64 years old and I have medium length layered hair. It gray with natural highlights. It looks kind of like Emmylou Harris. I get a lot f compliments on it.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/75787206203485919/

https://blog.aarp.org/2012/12/29/the...aging-haircut/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 07:27 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
DH and I were just talking about what I plan on doing with my hair when I get older. I would love to go short and gray, but no sure if I'll ever have the nerve. Plus, I have 3 cowlicks so I would probably look like a chia pet.

I'll probably keep it long enough to go into a ponytail easily, that's my go to.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-28-2019, 08:43 AM

42,876 posts, read 26,418,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I'm with you. Why do some post-menopausal women go butch? Is it because they've dyed and permed their hair so many times that their hair no longer grows beyond an inch, do they want the "head under the sink" morning scrub, or do they suddenly decide that they want to look like a man?

Older women with long silky natural hair are somehow, maybe, more interesting?
How do you recognize a postmenopausal woman? Geezus

Old 04-28-2019, 08:49 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,016,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How do you recognize a postmenopausal woman? Geezus
OMG, I missed the post you quoted.

Stupid anyway, anything you do to your hair doesn't affect it growing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-28-2019, 09:01 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,503,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
So it is always short, not short, or always the same regardless of getting old?
Yes I've always with it short except for the few times I tried to grow it out. It was so curly, frizzy and cowlicky I looked like a deranged dandelion.

I wear it from just over my ears to just below then it's time to get a haircut. The hair-cutters, if they are good, just follow the natural pattern in which it wants to go. Always layered. It not butch or buzzcut.

I use curl creme which tames the frizz. I actually get compliments on my hair when it's done right, from women and men.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:03 AM

446 posts, read 399,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Because the concept that a short haircut is a "man's" haircut is ridiculously archaic. I prefer having short hair, it's easier to maintain and it looks great.
This.

The "pixie" hairstyle has been around for decades, for women of all ages.

As to the term "man's haircut" -- surely you are old enough to remember Beatle cuts and the Rolling Stones and the Beach Boys, if not Moses and Jesus!

Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 AM

446 posts, read 399,079 times
I just came from another Retirement where the OP (a man?) was complaining about women gossips.

Now this OP is complaining about women with short hair.

Guys of our generation are supposed to be the heirs of the gentlemanly generation, the ones who have good manners, especially when it comes to speaking to and about women. And the ones who supposedly still know the value of a real, close shave!

Good grief.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:30 AM

7,151 posts, read 12,710,293 times
Oh, jeez. Another man poking his nose where it doesn't belong. Why doesn't he wear HIS hair in a freaking mullet as he used to do when younger?

My womanly, post-menopausal question is why men do Comb-overs? Nothing worse. Fools no one. looks sad and stupid. Just don't.

Woman of ANY age can--and do--wear their hair to please themselves...

As should men --even the Comb-over Charlies.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,804,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
This.

The "pixie" hairstyle has been around for decades, for women of all ages.

As to the term "man's haircut" -- surely you are old enough to remember Beatle cuts and the Rolling Stones and the Beach Boys, if not Moses and Jesus!
Good point, my husband used to have long hair like the Beatles, he is from UK too. Maybe it was the rage. I still have his picture in long hair for the kids.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:14 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,600,087 times
There are utilitarian hair cuts/styles which are sometimes adopted by what are referred to as 'soccer moms' and 'soccer mom haircuts', not reserved just for senior or older women. The soccer mom haircuts look utilitarian, rather than trying to look the most attractive. (to people who do not find the hair cuts particularly attractive)

And there are butch hair cuts which are sometimes adopted by gay/lesbian women who intend to look more masculine and as a signal of their orientation so others in their tribe recognize them as gay, and it is also a point of identification with a group for them. These haircuts are sometimes adopted by gay women of all ages, including seniors.

I don't think it's wrong for men to have opinions on hair cuts and hair styles and voice what they find attractive, just as women have opinions on female and male hair cuts and hair styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement