Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:58 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,404,233 times

Advertisements

I was eligible to retire in Sept when I turned 61 but decided to work another semester and garner a bit more pension. So now my retirement date is Dec 31. However, since we have half of Dec off, I am now thinking about extending the date to Jan 31 for one more paycheck. I could just keep putting it off a few more months but I am beyond ready to have the time to do other things in life besides 9-5. I feel like I'm on the edge of a 10 meter diving board but scared to take the plunge. Is it normal to waffle like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 11:09 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,458,842 times
Yup.

I turn 65 in 2.99 years. My FRA is when I turn 66.....but my spouse is 2.5 years younger than I am. We'll have to pay for health insurance for him if I leave at 65.

I figure he'll have SS at 62 and can pay for it himself.

Then I also have the option of retiring 7 months after I turn 65 for a full 27 years in the state retirement system. It would add more money to my pension check if I waited.

But I am CURRENTLY out of gas. 7 months isn't that long.

So I hem and I haw.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:38 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,804,602 times
For decades I thought I had mine set in stone - at 63.5 years old, so that I could do the COBRA bridge to medicare. My birthday is late December so that would have me retiring mid year; another thought I had was that I would try to live off half my take home and maybe work a little longer (as in a few months) if the adjustment was difficult. Kids came late and that throws things off a little, but only a little. They should be launched, but the downsize will come closer to retirement than I planned. ACA now offers me another alternative for the bridge to medicare than makes moving up to the beginning of the year at age 63 possible. My long term job is likely to end by about age 60 and I may be taking contracts my last few years. That might open the possibility of taking one in a snowbird location that age 63 or 64 winter and using the income to be able to afford snowbirding (likely would be able to anyway, but would make a little nicer place possible) for the foreseeable future. Long winded way of saying waffling is common, I think...

Last edited by ReachTheBeach; 10-29-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 11:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,523,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I was eligible to retire in Sept when I turned 61 but decided to work another semester and garner a bit more pension. So now my retirement date is Dec 31. However, since we have half of Dec off, I am now thinking about extending the date to Jan 31 for one more paycheck. I could just keep putting it off a few more months but I am beyond ready to have the time to do other things in life besides 9-5. I feel like I'm on the edge of a 10 meter diving board but scared to take the plunge. Is it normal to waffle like this?
Dunno! When I made my decision to retire six months hence instead of two years later as originally planned I neither waffled nor waivered. Rather, I gave notice and was gone on the newly planned day with nary a second thought. That was seven years ago. Doggone good thing since I developed a neurological disorder that is still limiting but at least I had three years of robust good health in retirement rather than just one.

Clearly it depends on the individual. Of course, much of my working life (military and law enforcement) required decisiveness, often on the spur of the moment. Guess it just came naturally to me to make and stick to a plan. YMMV.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:22 PM

6,589 posts, read 7,103,497 times
Mine is made already. March 28, 2016 forced out of the army.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:21 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,327,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
My long term job is likely to end by about age 60 and I may be taking contracts my last few years. That might open the possibility of taking one in a snowbird location that age 63 or 64 winter and using the income to be able to afford snowbirding (likely would be able to anyway, but would make a little nicer place possible) for the foreseeable future. Long winded way of saying waffling is common, I think...
I read it as "snowboarding".

I have a main plan for retiring 8 years from now at the end of the calendar year when I'm age 65 years 7 months and a lot of contingency plans which are more like "organized waffling". The math gets kind of ugly if I can't keep the high tech wages rolling in for another half-dozen years.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:05 PM

14,262 posts, read 14,787,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
This is not waffling. It is actually being in control and being able to decide what is best for you.

Pour yourself another drink and enjoy it.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:23 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,160,869 times
Obviously each person's situation is different.....some people waiver...others don't. And of course one factor is are you leaving on your own terms or not....two people I know worked until 80, and really it was only age that sort of slowed them down to the point of not working. At 80 they "tired of working." As for oicking THE day......

- one friend who was 59 1/2 -- who was an inner city high school teacher had hated her job for the last two years she worked. In fact she took 1/2 year sabbaticals the last two years..so she only worked a half school year those two..... Came back to the same administrative nonsense. Found out how much minimum notice she HAD to give. Gave that and was out in 60 days, and hasn't looked back.

- another friend -- 30 years with the gov't KNOWS he'll retire no later than next September....but is hemming and hawing about whether he'll leave in June or July, or August. Right now it's more about being gone from the area by the next winter, than when he actually leaves work. All he's saying now is: this is my last winter shoveling snow.

- a family member wanted to work 6 months longer to 66 but his job forced him out at 65. He's been retired about a year and a half -- and NOW wishes he'd retired sooner. I asked him: if you'd known retirement could be this good, would you have one it sooner?. Looking back he says he wishes he had.

- a relative who retired at 74 said she kept working for the money, and when she saved enough, and finished some things she wanted to pay for....she was finally financially set...she retired after 51 years with the same company...and hasn't looked back. When she was ready...she was ready....never waivered

- me, only 55, and planning for 65....dreaming about it everyday and don't think I'll waiver or delay. I can barely wait as it is.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times
Retire early, retire often. (Too much fun to only do once)

Leave today, no more waffling.

You can always go back to work (heaven forbid).

Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,160,869 times
Quote:
You can always go back to work (heaven forbid).
I know that right!! Only GOD can help me get through the next 9 1/2 years.
MAYBE I'll be able to swing it at 62...but even that is 7 1/2 years.
I try to just take it day by day. But most days I just don't want to be there.
If anything I'll waffle and move UP the date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement