Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 05:36 AM

555 posts, read 892,489 times

Advertisements

I find myself becoming almost a single-issue voter as I age. If we don't get a handle on environmental degradation, the world we leave our grandchildren is likely to be seriously diminished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 07:06 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
How have your political views changed as you age?
No it has not - however, I do believe that life is an ongoing learning process.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:20 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
No my personal belief patterns have not changed as I have aged. I am the same person with the same core values so my politics reflect those beliefs

Political parties may change and I may see more greys than I did when young though

But I rarely deviate

Old 12-16-2015, 05:21 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I am in my early 50's and not quite retired. But boy, have my politics changed. All my life I was a liberal Democrat. I voted for every Democratic Presidential candidate since Mondale in 1984. I loathed Nixon, Reagan and all the Bush clan.

However, now that I am older, I have gradually turned into a Republican. I would vote for Donald Trump at this point because I am sick of many of the policies Obama has implemented. Never thought I would turn Conservative, but I have. I'm almost ashamed of myself, but it happened to people like Frank Sinatra and Charlton Heston as well.
Although it may be a natural tendency, we have to try to keep a more open and "liberal" mind - IMHO - as we age.

We individually like to think that, as we age, we are wiser. However, science and experience shows that older folks are more easily duped and preyed upon. I'm sure you like to think that's not you....we all do!

Fact is, FEAR of growing older and death often translates into general fear and therefore into right wing politics. The average age of a Rush listener or O'Reilly watcher is 65-70. That's average! Why? Because they are easier to say anything to...and they believe it.

I say that as a senior myself....but I still have the ability to reason.
Here, for example is a chart done by Politifact. The basics are clear - some pols are completely lying most ALL of the time, while others have more "truthiness"....

If that kind of stuff matters to you - and it does to me - then you have to dig further instead of trying to take the easy way out and voting for "what sounds good".
Attached Thumbnails
How did your politics change as you aged?-charts.jpg  

Old 12-16-2015, 05:35 PM

49 posts, read 44,410 times
In my teens and 20s I was a Democrat. In my 30s and 40s I was a Republican, largely because of the influence of my materialistic later-ex and those who surrounded him. Starting in my early 50s, after we split, I became independent/unaffiliated. Now in my 60s I have come full circle and am a registered Democrat once again.

To paraphrase Ron Reagan: "Not afraid of voting for Hillary." ;-)

Old 12-17-2015, 07:03 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
I've been very conservative from day 1, but as I've gotten older I've loosened up a lot on certain social issues like gay marriage and marijuana---but have become even more conservative regarding fiscal responsibility, religion, limited government and pro-life....and most off all, protect the Homeland against Islamic extremists. I've also become to absolutely detest the emergence of the PC lifestyle----PC folks and Islamic terrorists---my two most hated groups.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
My values (political views) have not changed at all. When I was young, I was liberal and at age 64 I am still liberal.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:48 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I have always been an Independent liberal voter. Only thing that has changed is that age has made me wiser, because of my life experiences and observations of others who struggle because of society's description of who we should be sharing our life with, and what religion we should be following, and what is or isn't PC at any moment while others are begging for a safe place to take care of their families.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Born liberal/progressive in Wisconsin in the 50's.

Moved to California in my 20's - embraced the progressivism there....

Moved to Utah 25 years ago and was horrified at the state of the Democratic party here. Waaaaaay too conservative.

Still consider myself liberal and progressive in the Wisconsin tradition. Horrified at what has happened to Wisconsin.

Also - lost my religion (Catholic) at age 17 and never looked back.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:50 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Born liberal/progressive in Wisconsin in the 50's.

Also - lost my religion (Catholic) at age 17 and never looked back.
IMO it's only when people lose their religion do they start thinking for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement