Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 8,941 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the forum, and have a general question, as this subject came up with my 60'ish friends, who mentioned an alternative living arrangement for retired single gals (or men could do the same!) as a possibility in their later years, to enjoy co-housing, 4-5 individuals sharing a large home together, much like the Golden Girls (or Golden Boys). I retired from a university job in Texas in my late 50's, moved to Louisville, KY (picked off a map, a whole nuther story!), bought a cute, little bungalow, and work part-time until I collect my SS. And with the right roommates (being compatible friends to start is a plus), co-housing seems a viable alternative to living on one's own, for security and financial reasons, social support, avoiding loneliness, etc. Thoughts anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 09:05 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northeastbound View Post
I'm new to the forum, and have a general question, as this subject came up with my 60'ish friends, who mentioned an alternative living arrangement for retired single gals (or men could do the same!) as a possibility in their later years, to enjoy co-housing, 4-5 individuals sharing a large home together, much like the Golden Girls (or Golden Boys). I retired from a university job in Texas in my late 50's, moved to Louisville, KY (picked off a map, a whole nuther story!), bought a cute, little bungalow, and work part-time until I collect my SS. And with the right roommates (being compatible friends to start is a plus), co-housing seems a viable alternative to living on one's own, for security and financial reasons, social support, avoiding loneliness, etc. Thoughts anyone?
That is exactly what I want to do! I have an older home, and also an extra acre behind my house. I've been looking at building some small houses for other older people that might need this type of living situation.

Something like this looked interesting:

Kanga Room Systems

Old 11-21-2015, 09:52 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
My advice is to never live alone if you are use to sharing and want to share again. I have thought a lot about this since our last discussion. I would have to take up the slack in some of my personal habits and learn to tolerate the foibles of my room mates. I wouldn't want to live with me. The longer I live alone the better I like it.

Small houses on a large lot with communal area sounds great, as long as they are built with privacy for the individual tenants in mind. Just in case I want to sit in the sun in my nightgown.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:33 AM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times
That is one thing we are working on doing, except that we are looking for other Autistic people who are interested [ but, being here, realize that non-Autistic people retired people should be included as well.] We are not looking at one single shared home but at multiple. My son purchased a home down the block from us for that particular purpose and we are working on 2 fixer-uppers. We also have friends from 3 different states who are making at least tentative plans to join us and many people who are waiting to make sure it really happens before committing. It is also our intention to start Autistic owned and run businesses. this will help financially, provide social supports, career supports, Autistic culture.

Most Autistic people have spent lives of loneliness and isolation. Many who have attended my autistic retreats had never even met another Autistic person before and were ecstatic on getting to know how awesome they were and finally believing that maybe they are awesome as well.

I think your idea is wonderful, but please, don't just think about it, b ut actually do it! I am excited to see how your plan unfolds!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:26 AM

Right now I'm happy going solo in my two-bedroom, one-bath house, but at some point I don't want to have to deal with home ownership and maintenance, and it's a plausible idea to do the golden girls thing in a larger home, as an alternative to a 62+ senior apartment, or some other alternative. I'm looking at 3-5+ years ahead, and I have some older pets who will live out their lives with me during the waiting interim. I'll just have a small dog and cat, now both 5, and will be able to realistically pursue something else when the time comes.

I agree about having to tolerate the foibles, though I'm trying to be positive, and trying to be more accepting, though still somewhat set in my ways. Hopefully well-matched home buddies will have something enlightening to offer, stimulating minds, a great cook amongst us, green thumbs, etc. Food for thought anyway.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Love the Kangas!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:42 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I have a huge house and I'm the younger spouse, I might face this option one day. But I think I might adopt some dogs and cats first. I know someone who has a pig as a pet.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
And with the right roommates (being compatible friends to start is a plus), co-housing seems a viable alternative to living on one's own, for security and financial reasons, social support, avoiding loneliness, etc. Thoughts anyone?
That was the norm for the elderly prior to the Silent Generation. The elderly lived in boarding houses or with their children.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:41 PM

920 posts, read 931,811 times
Quote:
That's what we thought we'd do. Build a small home, sort of a duplex but with a shared bath and kitchen in the middle of the house. Make it as private otherwise as possible (their own living rooms and bedrooms). Rent it out. Power would be via solar panels since the town is off grid.
It's hard to share a home with someone but it is the easiest way to save a good chunck of $$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement